[Patch] Patch, where art thou?!

dilbert20050112205629.gif

guy.welch said:
The patch has been delayed from our initial December release date due to an outstanding agreement between two third parties. They need to come to terms before we can proceed.

This in know way tells us that the January release of the patch has been changed. What this statement does is explain the reason why the December release of the patch was delayed. Please find a better source.

BitRaiser said:
Same shaz, different month.
I understand but if by using this quote for evidence or as a source to back up the statement that VUG has said the patch has been postponed for the month of January, then you could also say, that using this same statement, VUG has said the patch has been postponed indefinitely and still be correct. However nowhere in this post did VUG say the patch was postponed for January. Thus this proves nothing.

I know... it's mearly a case of in the absence of new information, one must depend on old information or speculation. Since the speculation is just about played out, we can simply say "same shaz, different month" and get away with it.

I'm not suprised that things have been slow to be resolved. VUG is no-doubt focusing most of their energy and lawyers on the upcoming court case vs Valve.

:shrug:

and the players played on...

BFGanksta said:
This in know way tells us that the January release of the patch has been changed. What this statement does is explain the reason why the December release of the patch was delayed. Please find a better source.

This is all I have in this area of quotes. Maybe someone has a better one. If I had my choice, the patch would have been released a long time ago.

BFGanksta said:

It also means that any release is indefinite.

I want to see an exit strategy. What happens if these two mystery partners fail to come to an agreement? Does VUG have plans to rip out the parts that would violate their agreement and ship the remaining bits of the patch? Or do we remain in limbo forever?

If PB is indeed the issue, then I'm for ripping it out but leaving the hooks so that some other anti-cheat technology can be installed in its place "in the field". Just threatening EvenBalance with that should bring them to the table quickly.

I keep seeing reference by people to "other" anti-cheat technology that can be substituted for PB.

Name or link to any of these others please? I'm just curious.

Wow... I did a quick dig just to take a look around for PB alternatives and stumbled over a very good artical on the subject.
check it out: http://michael.bacarella.com/papers/netoftrust.html
Cheating in online gaming has become a huge problem. Anti-cheat clients promise to deliver us all from evil, with some companies even seeing cheat prevention as a fledgling new industry. This paper will show why anti-cheat clients have no chance of success as well as suggesting an alternative plan.

This document is targeted at anyone involved in games. Players, developers, and the pointy haired bosses at game publishers.

Just to be sure I have all the info... there is no change log even yet is there? No for sure details of what the patch will even contain if it's released? I'm hoping for more content and wondering what "bugs" need to be fixed since with my limited playing time I have yet to come across a show stopping bug or crash.

With other games like UT2004 and Counter-Strike there are 3rd party anti-cheat systems, usually created by volunteers. These may or may not cooperate with other anti-cheat systems.

Back