T:V Update - Coming December 2004

BitRaiser said:
Been said. 'Grats on being painfully un-original. :p

Seriously tho, I'm hoping the patch contains no gameplay tweaks except to add carving, grapple shooting, and a functional command screen. The last one's not too likely, but one can hope!

Yeah Bit everything you mentioned are gameplay changes. If some of you think any of this will be in the patch you will be sorely dissapointed. This patch will be nothing but some bug fixes and add punkbuster as they mentioned.

The best you can hope for is change contributions provided in mods such as renwerx renegades or SS:2845. Sell a crap MP and leech of the mod community to boost sales.

honestly, i think we wont see any gameplay fixes in the patch. however, i'm HOPING that ladder admins will add the grapple-shoot mutator to all servers.

The times I played with the ungrapple mutator no one ever bothered to shoot out the grapp. I was spamming "shoot the hook" during the whole match and it was in Cavern :D

I think it will be a fun addition but it seems a lot of folk think its going to save them from good grapple cappers. Thats just not the case.

Wolve should try it out during the next pickup. See if it has a bigger impact with better players.

Meh... I was thinking of those things more as additional features rather than "tweaks".

Just semantics, but I think of a tweak as being something minor (like changing the pod's rate of fire or the duration/recharge rates of packs).

Of cource carving and hookshooting would have an impact on gameplay, but they are more than "tweaks".

Ya know?

mc-fine said:
The times I played with the ungrapple mutator no one ever bothered to shoot out the grapp. I was spamming "shoot the hook" during the whole match and it was in Cavern :D

I think it will be a fun addition but it seems a lot of folk think its going to save them from good grapple cappers. Thats just not the case.

Wolve should try it out during the next pickup. See if it has a bigger impact with better players.

it's not meant to save from grapple cappers. grapple cappers are fine. the issue are jerks who grapple to the crane arm on junk and just swing around and around and around forever until the flag gets returned.

Geiss said:
good idea... wolvy i'ma bug u about it.
Amongst the 900 other things you bug me about?

<3

We can try it out, wonder if a restart of the server is needed to switch mods? Im guessing not. Anyone played with them yet?

ayzianboy said:
it's not meant to save from grapple cappers. grapple cappers are fine. the issue are jerks who grapple to the crane arm on junk and just swing around and around and around forever until the flag gets returned.

and in so doing u add random fire stupidness to grappling
sofar i have experienced the most trouble from FRIENDLY fire (mortars)
just remove the click to release and looping is history

Proximus said:
and in so doing u add random fire stupidness to grappling
sofar i have experienced the most trouble from FRIENDLY fire (mortars)
just remove the click to release and looping is history

then when would the grapple hook release then? You don't want to force anyone to stay hooked longer than they want to and it will prolly mess up catapulting yourself with grapple.

yea... sorry, but FriendlyFire is part of the game. i'd rather take a few pot-shotted mortars if it'll drop a capper rather than sit there for 3 minutes while he swings around and around.

u release when u release mouse obviously (catapulting still possible)

and geiss: just think what im proposing ,it does exactly what u want without any unwanted side-effects (which is basically the only effect the ungrapple mutator has)
for instance i tried attacking (not swinging around just plain grappling trying to retrieve flag) on arid phoenix side and my own teams bomber screwed my grappling twice within 20seconds

i wish people would actually try this thing (ungrapple mutator) before they start hunting myths
(the myth being shooting the hook does anything)

Last edited:
ok... i guess i mis understood. you're saying that you'd have to hold the mouse button down for as long as you wanted the grappler to stay stuck to the cieling or whatever? i'm confused =(

edit: if this is the case, you're still gonna be allowing those grapple whores to grapple whore by holding down their trigger button.

what it sounded liek you were saying is that at some determined point/speed/angle/something that the grapple hook automatically lets go. there's a mutator currently out that allows for shooting the hook wherever it's attached and that will break the hook.

but yea, i'm confused about what you're tryin to get at
=\

I think the grapple swinging tactic is very valid. It is a great way to gain tremendous speed. As for people using it as an open air turtle tactic ala the Junk crane arm.. Yes it can be annoying for those who haven't discovered the secret for dealing with that.. The game gives you a couple of very good ways to effectively stop that person swinging around and around the crane arm, light post,spire rock etc. adapt and overcome, learning counters for things in any game is all part of the fun.. at least for me..

Plus if you remove the click a second time to release.. you also remove the ability to grapple and switch to a different weapon while remaining grappled.

Last edited:
Proximus said:

and geiss: just think what im proposing ,it does exactly what u want without any unwanted side-effects (which is basically the only effect the ungrapple mutator has)

Well I guess that could work. Latching on to bombers to rape would be lost but thats not much of a sacrifice.

Proximus said:

for instance i tried attacking (not swinging around just plain grappling trying to retrieve flag) on arid phoenix side and my own teams bomber screwed my grappling twice within 20seconds

i wish people would actually try this thing (ungrapple mutator) before they start hunting myths
(the myth being shooting the hook does anything)

then your own team needs to learn better coordination and not suck ass.

The problem with the grapple break mutator might be that it disconnects at the tiniest damage. Maybe if the hook had some reasonable health (20 for example). You could still swing around and not get disconnected by any random fire.

Amadeu5 said:
The problem with the grapple break mutator might be that it disconnects at the tiniest damage. Maybe if the hook had some reasonable health (20 for example). You could still swing around and not get disconnected by any random fire.

bingo. make it like 60 health - 2 discs to break, or 1 mortar shot.

ayzianboy said:
bingo. make it like 60 health - 2 discs to break, or 1 mortar shot.
If it takes more than 1 disc to kill then you haven't really fixed anything, as the capper can just disconnect manually and grapple elsewhere before you fire the next shot.

ok ill expand

removing the click to release will mean:

u click to grapple.. u latch onto something.. u keep mouse pressed.. u reel in as long as u keep mouse pressed.. u let mouse go .. grappler releases

now if u want to latch onto a bomber u should just keep mouse pressed
or (which is the case in other games) u switch weapon. in latter case the grappler will still always reel in up to the grapple point

if things are like this u can still hang around where u want but u cant "swing" around coz the grappler will reel u in towards the point u had grappled, u can even switch weapons and keep hanging around (with the shortest possible line that is)

the only thing u cant do anymore is make endless loops coz the loops will get smaller every loop u make (how many loops u can still make is a balance issue depending on the pull strenght of the grappler)

i hope this makes things clear

Back