T:V Update - Coming December 2004

ayzianboy said:
IMO the only things that really need fixing in T:V:

Gameplay:
limit the grappler to 5 ammo. people grappling around over and over with the flag (ie the crane arm on junk) is the biggest turn-off to playing the game ever, and it's more annoying than turtling.

hmmm, limit the grappler to five shots and it becomes useless, and I have a feeling that you don't use grappler from the way you write, there is nothing wrong with this, but denying it to other people, because you find it annoying is unjust, it's like me saying you should limit the mortar to five shots because I dislike it.

I much rather be patient for a patch that is going to work correctly out the door, then a patch that is going to require another patch to fix a problem the first patch created (as in what happened in T2). So please IGA take your time to ensure 99% of the problems are worked out of the patch prior to releasing it.

ayzianboy said:
And for CTF, by default get rid of the team-based IFFs, keep them just red/green standard.

There's an option for that, and I happen to enjoy team-based IFF's (Red/Yellow/Blue), and would dislike being stuck with Green/Red again.

]|[ Zhou Yu said:
hmmm, limit the grappler to five shots and it becomes useless, and I have a feeling that you don't use grappler from the way you write, there is nothing wrong with this, but denying it to other people, because you find it annoying is unjust, it's like me saying you should limit the mortar to five shots because I dislike it.

5 ammo wouldn't be denying it to anyone; I've never used more than 5 :shrug:

5 grappler ammo. why bother? if they would do that just take it out. 15. works out fine, you run out of ammo, but not often. it was well planned for its usage.

15 is far from being able to grapple for an eternity..

I think the idea is that you should run out of ammo often so that you can't constantly be off the ground. Force more trips to the inv station and lessen standoffs since carrier becomes more predictable on route to inv.

I like being able to play around with the grapple and not worry about it running out but I think making each use more crucial would help balance the great advantage it gives cappers.

Oh well.. opinions and a-holes... who knows what the devs think or if they even plan on tweaking anything.

I originally thought the grappler should have unlimited ammo but I can say that, in hindsight, I'm glad they limited to 15 (and this is coming from an avid grapplewhore). 15 strikes a nice balance, I don't think they need to nerf it any more. People need how to use the burner if they're having trouble catching him -- besides, this is a new game with a new learning curve that even vets will need to figure things out in. :D

edit: Where's my patch? Arrrr...

Pachacutec said:
5 grappler ammo. why bother? if they would do that just take it out. 15. works out fine, you run out of ammo, but not often. it was well planned for its usage.

15 is far from being able to grapple for an eternity..

lol..i've grappled for a 20 min map w/ 5; maybe grappler's should learn the skill in not breaking the line? :shrug:

I agree about the w/ u on "take it out" though. It seems to clear a pub in <5 min. :zzz:

In the beta there was a time when you could SHOOT the grappler hook and it would break from what it was hooked on.

Then some idiots started to complain about it being shot and causing them to fall so some moron at Irrational decided to make the grappler invulnerable to shots. :p

They need to remove that and allow people to shoot the grappling hook again to break it from whatever it has hooked onto. That would balance out the grappling hook a little more.

[AKA]PanamaJack said:
In the beta there was a time when you could SHOOT the grappler hook and it would break from what it was hooked on.

Then some idiots started to complain about it being shot and causing them to fall so some moron at Irrational decided to make the grappler invulnerable to shots. :p

They need to remove that and allow people to shoot the grappling hook again to break it from whatever it has hooked onto. That would balance out the grappling hook a little more.
I fully agree with this. :bigthumb: I also think that there should be a time limit (about 10s) on how long the grapple will stay connected so that people can't just hang in places and spin around for minutes at a time.

I wasn't aware that the grapple-point was ever functional. Last I heard about it was they were trying to get that feature in place before release but there was some technical issue with it.

Same with Carving.

I'm hoping we might see those in place from IG at some point. Preferably soon.
Like, tommorow.

Nope, you could shoot it in the early beta and cause it to break. It really pissed off people who liked using the grappler in Caverns. They would be swinging around with it and someone would shoot the grapple point and they would go flying off into a wall or something. :) Man did they bitch.

Potential grapple fixes:

1. Mod that allows you to shoot out the hook (already available)
2. Limit ammo (easy), and/or
3. Cause it to become inop immediately, or x seconds, after you grab a game object such as the falg (feasible?).

[AKA]PanamaJack said:
Nope, you could shoot it in the early beta and cause it to break. It really pissed off people who liked using the grappler in Caverns. They would be swinging around with it and someone would shoot the grapple point and they would go flying off into a wall or something. :) Man did they bitch.
Interesting... I'll have to take yer word for it tho.

It could still have had related issues. The grappler still does on it's own ATM too. Try grappling onto someone who's not moving (you'll need a buddy to test this) and hold ski while on a sloap. Sure enough, you will start to drag your target... but the grapple point will start to wander away from where it originally hooked.

I do vividly recall some sort of technical issue being reported (by KP, I think?) so it's quite possible that the feature was removed due to something other than whining. It's easy to get wires crossed when you don't honestly *know* what's going on.

]|[ Zhou Yu said:

....or limiting a shield pack with a short active time because some people can't chase, ambush, cutoff, or whatever to stop a capper w/ a shield pack.

I am just wondering if they are even going to fix many of the bugs/issues in the scripting/modding part of TV. Or release some form of documation on the subject..The dev wiki hasnt been updated sense Oct 11 and is of little use at this point.

Something anything at this point would be greatly appreciated by many of the coders wanting to get there projects off the ground.

At one time i remember reading a review/interview talking about T:V scripting.I wish i could find that little read right now.But if i am not mistaken it spoke of real time editting and tools to help scripters and modders alike.
What ever happen to all of that?

I really hope that they just focus on bug fixing and don't try to alter gameplay too much. At this point it might alienate more people that actually enjoy the game, than it would draw people back that didn't like it in the first place.

Reducing the grappler ammo without introducing the breakable hook will just encourage people to grapple to the ceiling and circle strafe more. However, when you can break the hook, you don't really need to reduce the grappler ammo. I think that 15 ammo for the grappler is not a problem. The grappler is not only a tool for cappers, but i also use it quite frequently for chasing or MO. The more ammo you have, the longer you can stay in the field. 5 shots is enough for cappers , but not for roles that have to "survive/stay" longer in the field to be effective.

I think it might be happening RIGHT NOW.

No one seems to be able to connect. They haven't lost the master server before (that I know of)... so it makes me think, is it being patched?

If so, this thread becomes moot.
Let's hope so, eh? ;)

Back