T:V Update - Coming December 2004

I'm glad you like it. If it made sense I'd have to kill myself. The point is that new patches that don't address all bugs won't kill Tribes, negative attitudes will. Now do something for me, the new patch is coming out; smile :) good.

Will the patch be strictly bug-fixing or are usability enhancements being considered? Personally, I would love to have the following things:

1) The ability to chat while the next map is loading.

2) The ability to leave a server while the next map is loading.

3) The ability to be in IRC / browse the server list while in a game.

4) A 'skill level' variable for servers that is displayed in the server list so noobs can more easily find proper servers and don't get their spirits crushed and quit Tribes because they end up trying to compete with people who have been playing tribes for 6 years.

Last edited:
I Still dont understand why its a freaking secret on whats going to be fixed or added ... sorry but it seems kinda lame to me. Hell they already stated they were comming out with a patch so why keep the fixes and addtions a freakin secret?

Last edited:
T-VET said:
I Still dont understand why its a freaking secret on whats going to be fixed or added ... sorry but it seems kinda lame to me. Hell they already stated they were comming out with a patch so why keep the fixes and addtions a freakin secret?

Maybe because it will be retailed in december and we are in november...

They still have 1 month to finish it and add as much as possible.

And also maybe if they give the change log now, they will be flammed and asked to add this + this + this + this to the patch before december...

They also announce the support of PB + minor fixes. And maybe that will be all, so no freakin secret here. It is just a patch, not T4.

That's about the scope of it.

Don't forget that there might also be things that they are going to try to do for this patch, but may not be able to get 'em in there in time. If you've never worked on complex code, you prolly don't know how harry things can get. It's generally really friggen hard to guess how much time something might take until you've done it. By then it's a little late to give out details, aye? ;)

Ideally, some of the work is complete and can already be announced. Some of the incomplete work (such as PB) will be necessary, blocking the patch, so it, too, can be announced. The rest of it they could keep secret. ;)

Smooth P said:
Will the patch be strictly bug-fixing or are usability enhancements being considered? Personally, I would love to have the following things:

2) The ability to leave a server while the next map is loading.

3) The ability to be in IRC / browse the server list while in a game.

4) A 'skill level' variable for servers that is displayed in the server list so noobs can more easily find proper servers and don't get their spirits crushed and quit Tribes because they end up trying to compete with people who have been playing tribes for 6 years.

excellent suggestions! But I doubt the patch will cover these things.

Well see what I mean nobody knows for sure! its just alot of talk and alot of maybe fixes! NEED REAL FACTS PEOPLE!!! not b.s.

All i want from the update is a working modification system. Now, i see the "modification" box in join dialog, i KNOW theres some pre-set system. if it worked i imagine there would be mods on it. (Either that or no one's figured it out, which wouldent be an impossible assumption given that there is absolutely NO explaination as to how to use the mod tools). If i'm just ignorant to the process of hosting a mod, then PLEASE INFORM ME!!, and please dont flame this post...

One thing that needs to be addressed is the load time for the map Tropics. I'm on a laptop (a64 3000+, 512mb pc3200 ddr400, 5400rpm 80gb hdd, ati radeon mobility 9700), anyhow, I have a tendancy of getting booted off the map for 'timing out' I'd guess. It loads up, i get a few events, and then its just acts like lagging out. It is a bloody nuissance. Else adjust the timeout to about 30 more seconds. This is not because of a slow connection, I am on a dual-oc3 line with a max ping (to popular servers) of 110.

Another issue I have has to do with the fact that the voting system just plain sucks. T1, where you could say Y/N to a vote was nice because it made it so i could vote without having to nav to the admin page to say Yes I want this dickwad booted. Does it even work? I have yet to see a person get voted off the server.

And a minor nuissance. This was available in other unreal engine games, WHY it was not put in this game I don't know, I want to be able to specify addresses that are not listed in the master browser, it drives me nuts because my friend's machine lays on a different subnet than me (at RIT) and I can't access his lan games because it assumes 128.69.4.x and not 128.69.x.x...

Server related issue, even setting multihome-ip or whatever the variable is, my friend's machine is completely inaccessible due to his router. Yes we opened the necessary ports, hell we DMZ'd the comp to see if it would work. Only Unreal engine games have this problem with my friend's machine, we're not entirely sure whats going on, but whatever it may be, the t:v server just doesn't respond to anything other than 192.168.0.x.

Also giving access to the complete server controls (as seen in the dedicated server) in t:v would be nice too so that little vars can be altered if necessary.

I really hope pb works out and nabs cheaters. This game is too fun to be killed by cheaters so quickly.

T-VET said:
you knowing now as opposed to later wont make any difference on how it plays. kids these days are so impatient...

Tetryon said:
One thing that needs to be addressed is the load time for the map Tropics. I'm on a laptop (a64 3000+, 512mb pc3200 ddr400, 5400rpm 80gb hdd, ati radeon mobility 9700), anyhow, I have a tendancy of getting booted off the map for 'timing out' I'd guess.

Sounds like a memory issue, not a network issue. The problem is the loading of the map from hard disk to memory, not over the network. Try playing with the cache parameter in your ini file and perhaps adding more memory.

What would be nice for games in general, not just TV or UT, is an early hint from the server of what map will be next (even if it comes right after a vote) so that the client can start preloading the map in the background before the current game ends.

I can't access his lan games because it assumes 128.69.4.x and not 128.69.x.x...

If you know the IP, you should be able to use a console command to connect.

The problem with having it show up in the browser is that the client has to broadcast queries to the whole netblock for ports 7777-7877 (I think it's 100 ports, IIRC from looking at a firewall log), and it's rather unfriendly to do that to a subnet of potentially 64k machines. Limiting the broadcast to 256 machines is deemed acceptable.

Not sure what you're asking about controlling your friend's system as server. You might want to expand on that.

ZOD said:
Most people get kicked because they do not update their PB client.

This, in general, is my only -real- complaint about PB. (From problems I've had in other games, mainly Urban Terror on the Q3 engine. But including CoD) Hence why I say it "lags like a mother" - because it always seemed to want to update while I was playing.

Granted, I do have worries. Like: What will be allowed? Will we be loosing our precious FlagHUD, or our AmmoHUD, or any non-scripted custom HUD's? And what kind of effect will this have on mods? I mean, what if someone made a mod that actually allowed custom weapon skins?

Edit:
Smooth P said:

This sounds like a good idea. Might keep some people from chasing others off whom have a short attention span.

Also, I should state, that reguardless of how "Worried" I am about PB, or how "Frusterated" that it makes me, a patch is much welcomed. Even if they don't fix all of the "Issues" that I feel are needed fixing.

See, not all of us are jerks. We're just opnionated.

Last edited:
Just an FYI:

Aparently PB has been upgraded to look for and apply patches automaticly rather than just kicking you if you are out of date.

Smooth P said:
... Personally, I would love to have the following things:

Good point. it is annoying in TV how the chat works when the map ends and switches over to the next map.

I hope the redirection of mapdownloading will have the same downloading Map screen as the normal way, otherwise the players don't releasize that the map is being downloaded.

BitRaiser said:
Just an FYI:

Aparently PB has been upgraded to look for and apply patches automaticly rather than just kicking you if you are out of date.

Alas, this has been known to cause problems with BF1942, because the automatic update isn't reliable, and the error message is misleading. The standard fix is to run the separate updater utility before joining a server.

IMO the only things that really need fixing in T:V:

Technical:
Fix the demo system
Fix tournament mode
fix map bugs
implement punkbuster

Gameplay:
limit the grappler to 5 ammo. people grappling around over and over with the flag (ie the crane arm on junk) is the biggest turn-off to playing the game ever, and it's more annoying than turtling.

have IFFs display for people in your view, even if the sensor is down. A lot more people would play if they could actually see shazbot instead of running around confused (i.e. cavern).

And for CTF, by default get rid of the team-based IFFs, keep them just red/green standard.

Back