MP Demo Delay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also said:
that raises an interesting question!

Is it presumable that we will be able to have demo players in our servers, and be able to connect to demo servers using the full install of the final game? or will they both be running on different master server lists?

Alot of games come out with a problem here and there. In fact, almost every game I've ever bought has had some type of conflict or problem installing or whatever. How do you get around these problems? By going to message boards and seing if there is a fix. It's easy to post on all the Tribes pages to un-install the demo before installing the game. People would figure it out. So in that example, there should be no problem with releasing the demo.

On the other hand, maybe the devs want to go out of there way to make this a flawless release. I don't think that's 100% possible, but if you can get close to that percent.. that's amazing. To sacrifice a day late of the demo release in order to fix the problem, that's fine with me.

I just hope it's not delayed till Thur or Fri. I want more than 2-3 days to text the changes and practice before the game is released.

-A- ...Lost? said:
Is it presumable that we will be able to have demo players in our servers said:
I don't think this will happen. It would have good points and bad points. The good would be that the demo players would get alot of great hands on experience with experienced players and such. The bad news is that they would probably get their @$$es completely kicked in all ways by the more experienced users, and therefore get turned off by the game.

Not only that but once there is a patch for the full game, the version will be different than the demo... asumming that it wont already be different.

-A- ...Lost? said:

Is it presumable that we will be able to have demo players in our servers, and be able to connect to demo servers using the full install of the final game? or will they both be running on different master server lists?

nah there would be a version conflict.

Although take Savage for example. They kept the demo servers up after release. You could not connect to any retail games.

Last edited:
TheGrudge said:
Alot of games come out with a problem here and there. In fact, almost every game I've ever bought has had some type of conflict or problem installing or whatever. How do you get around these problems? By going to message boards and seing if there is a fix. It's easy to post on all the Tribes pages to un-install the demo before installing the game. People would figure it out. So in that example, there should be no problem with releasing the demo.

On the other hand, maybe the devs want to go out of there way to make this a flawless release. I don't think that's 100% possible, but if you can get close to that percent.. that's amazing. To sacrifice a day late of the demo release in order to fix the problem, that's fine with me.

I just hope it's not delayed till Thur or Fri. I want more than 2-3 days to text the changes and practice before the game is released.

I suppose, but if the tourney mode isn't fixed, and they delayed the demo to fix a simple cd-key issue, I'm gonna be a bit peeved. I'd much rather they delayed it to fix real game issues, like demos or whatever, than a stupid cd-key glitch that is an easy workaround.

hmm, dev's reply here with witty answers to witty questions but ignore nicely asked requests for a changelog.

Whats the vegas betting on an immense game altering change that they didn't want a 30+ page epic whine thread about before the demo gets released ? :D

Ego said:
hmm, dev's reply here with witty answers to witty questions but ignore nicely asked requests for a changelog.

Whats the vegas betting on an immense game altering change that they didn't want a 30+ page epic whine thread about before the demo gets released ? :D

it would be nice but some of the stuff you probably wouldnt notice in game but you saw it in the change log. We'd have a 10 page thread on why the chain gun does .000000000000000000001 less damage.

-A- ...Lost? said:

They usually have different master servers (or are somehow separated). Plus, if there's even a slight difference in the texture/map/sound/whatever packages between the demo and retail versions you probably won't be able to connect to a demo server if you have retail, or vice-versa, if they do use the same master server (doubt it).

Maybe they use the same master server, but the master server keeps track of whether a game server is running the demo or retail, and only returns retail servers to retail queries, and the same for the demo.

btw: changelog

Ego said:

Yeah, they've been avoiding it quite well for a couple weeks now.

I suspect one of two things i preventing them from posting a change log:

1) It became fragmentory in the rush to actually finish. There could be several different documents from different Devs all detailing different changes and possibly not done to the same spec. Editing all that together can be a serious pain in the backside! (This I know as it's been one of my duties in a dev house. Yeash!)

2) They don't want people whining about changes that are in-place before they can actually see how they work in game. Some of the folks 'round here can be perty unimaginative and get hostial over the stupidest things. "Whaaa they nerfed [this]", "Oh eff off, not [that] is overpowered" sorta things aren't needed at this point in time.

Just send 'em some good vibe energy and hope they can hack through their bug ASAP. Don't forget, they are actually releasing a week ahead of schedual!

ALL of the other bugs/performance issues better be fixed if they're delaying this for a simple cd-key issue.

Big Monkey said:
OR ELSE WHAT MOTHEReffER?

If you want to buy a game in which competition is a joke, by all means.

I expect nothing less than a fully functioning tourney mode, preferably with a non-seizure-inducing demo recording/playback feature. If the demo released doesn't have that, but they stopped to fix a non-critical CD-KEY ISSUE, well, that's just stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back