MP Demo Delay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yakuza? said:
no wonder sierra is in the shazbotter :/
Um... Sierra is closed man. This happened after the last person was gone from Sierra. :)

That said, stuff like this is mind numbingly easy to miss, which is why I always gave PR and Marketing dates that they hated, like "we're shooting for Tuesday but it could be up to 3 weeks later if we discover issues". When you're trying to deliver something that is about 1000 times more complex than a 747, it can be difficult to accurately predict when D-Day will arrive.

WaTTz! said:
I don't know how things are run over at IG but...

During the short time I worked for Turbine (over a year ago), the change log was developed as we went. As each change was finalized it was added to the log, without exception. As far as I know this is common practice. When you do not have a definitive paper trail to go by, things get sloppy.

Now to be honest the change logs I worked with were all in spiral notebooks. If we were to release the info, some poor sucker had to type it out--not my problem though lol.

they appear to use perforce. that aint exactly chump software and tracks EVERYTHING...

the issue isnt whether they've tracked the changes... but it's whether they have the time RIGHT NOW to go through 100,000 lines of changes and try to filter out the stuff for public consumption.

obviously they have more important things to do like drink beer and play WoW.

BitRaiser said:
To TWlers;

WHAT did I say? Hu? What??

Did I say it would be a pain for them to compile a change log and they don't have the time to put into it? Did I? :p

I just hope it includes some physics tweaks on the vehicles and some more stable grappling stuff (like hooking vehicles and eachother). I have faith that the beta bugs will mostly be resolved and other than that, I just wanna see the danged demo in action! (and after that I wanna see a buddy playing on a "large" map). Then I'm sold.
Jesus Christ, I'm tried of reading your posts...

To Yogi: Is there a way to block peoples posts so they don't show up period when you open a thread?

Edit---Nm I figured out how to ignore.

Last edited:
Mr Fish said:
for people wanting a changelog... i would like to get you one, but there have literally been one gazillion changes since open beta. The beta build is almost 2 months old compared to this latest demo, so the changelog would go on for pages and pages, and take us a while to compile.

I will say that in terms of tuning there havent been any dramatic changes (although KP might like to correct me)... most changes have been the standard stuff at the end of a project cycle, ie bug fixing, stability and optimisation.

Bowing down before the master...Fix the bugs, clean the netcode, and optimize. Exactly what i thought. Irrational kicks arse!

I think what this means folks is that you wont see the drastic changes like including the command console, adding sensor jammers etc stuff like that. That can be added in the mods. Its about all the programming tweaks to cleanup bugs and optimize a nice stable game...Yes! No more UE, No more Inventory freeze. Just clean smooth gameplay.....I hope.

Pssst... ^Jadakiss ... :fu:

If you weren't such a knuckle dragger you could figure out the ignore function. :p

(quite pleased with myself to piss off an arsehole that would get upset by something like that.)
Ya lamer. :p

ZenTseTse said:
they appear to use perforce. that aint exactly chump software and tracks EVERYTHING...

Over complication at its finest.

ZenTseTse said:
the issue isnt whether they've tracked the changes... but it's whether they have the time RIGHT NOW to go through 100,000 lines of changes and try to filter out the stuff for public consumption.

If they were organizing it correctly from the get go, they wouldn't have any problems. Assuming they have someone over there with some publishing skills, it would take an afternoon--tops. But again, this should have already been done. Honestly, how could you not see this comming lol.

"Naw, an MP Demo isn't like a new build. The community doesn't need a change log." -Menzo

:roller: :roller: :roller:

ZenTseTse said:
obviously they have more important things to do like drink beer and play WoW.

So true.

WaTTz! said:
Over complication at its finest.

huh? have you seen perforce?

it does automated changelog tracking for high end cross-user development. read what i said. it wasnt complicated.

WaTTz! said:
If they were organizing it correctly from the get go, they wouldn't have any problems.

if the changelog literally has thousands and thousands of changes tracked, the issue isnt being organized... it's spending a lot of time wading through it all to put out a short list of what seems important to twits on forums.

not a high priority :)

Goof said:
Seriously though...who the hell tested that? I mean, I'd never think about "ono, what if in two months someone installs the game and uninstalls the demo!? Let's test that!".

Since the demo was done I bet the tester went to remove it. After removing he went to play his gold version and boom.

ZenTseTse said:
huh? have you seen perforce?

it does automated changelog tracking for high end cross-user development. read what i said. it wasnt complicated.

I'm saying that using said software to compile a change log suitable for average Joe Gamer is over complicating the process. They knew what they were changing as they changed it (I would hope), and they also knew what changes would be important to the testers (I would hope). They appearntly never thought to pencil these 'important' changes down.

ZenTseTse said:
if the changelog literally has thousands and thousands of changes tracked, the issue isnt being organized... it's spending a lot of time wading through it all to put out a short list of what seems important to twits on forums.

not a high priority :)

You wouldn't be wading through anything if you were attempting to make an community acceptable change log from the get go. IG did not have a system in place for an on-the-fly change log (And the software you are referencing does nothing to aid in this pursuit--it's tracks EVERY change and becomes more and more worthless as time goes by and more trivial changes are piled onto the list).

IG wasn't thinking about us through thier end-stage development process (at least with respect to an acceptable change log). This isn't a horrible offence by any means, but it is appearntly the truth.

Hell, if I was working for IG and had you guys as a community, I'd forget about you too! :roller:

Last edited:
sigpop said:
i'm sure everybody pissing and moaning has had their hand in similarily complex projects.

exactly.

"OMFG COUDNT YOU TAKE 5 HOURS OUT OF YOUR RUSH TO RELEASE THE GAME AND SLEEPLESS NIGHTS TO MAKE A LIST OF THE 'IMPORTANT' CHANGES SINCE BETA SO WE CAN BITCH AND MOAN????? WHY DONT YOU CARE ABOUT US?????????"

I don't think there will be a changelog for this Demo. M has already stated that it's not realy an update to the beta, so no changelog is needed. It's a new version. I suspect the full release will have changelogs as the game gets patched.

It's kinda dissapointing, as I would like to see one... but it's no big deal. I think it would be cool if a changelog was released on Sunday or Monday... a few days after the demo's release. That way, people can play the game and try to figure out what changes have been made... then look at the changelog and see if their right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back