[T:V cheating] Oh fsck.

Mr Fish said:
Yes, I would think this is exactly whats being done.... this post describes everything perfectly, so i won't bother to write my own summary :)

The unfortunate reality of cheats like this is that once you are hacking binaries and putting hooks straight into directx, essentailly anything related to displaying extra player info/iffs clientside is possible. However as already stated, it will only work on players that are deemed by the netcode to be relevant to the particular client.

So, I've always wondered. What keeps companies like irrational and others like the makers of UT from going after these people and making examples of them in court. Is it just too expensive or troublesome? I'd think if you smacked a few of them down with some hefty fines or even jailtime these script kiddies would think twice. Too expensive? Not possible?

Last edited:
who are you calling a script kiddie.... do you even know what the term means...?

and fyi Epic (creators of UT) did pursue HelioS for his binary releases, which he has thus discontinued under public domain (his webhost, which also happens to be my webhost) to this day. However, Epic does not attempt to sue me (or my host) for the simple reason that my releases are gpled proof of concept code :p

there is a huge difference between a hack method and a cheat method.

-[ELF]osGb`-

Last edited:
Because techniqually they aren't doing anything ilegal, they are altering their own gameplay not yours. When they bought the product.... they gained the right to do this...... What I assume will happen is once the offical Tribes Vengeance release comes out, there will be an anti cheat client program required on servers with an agreement that you must not alter it in any way. If someone cheats at that point.... legal action is perfectly resonable as they are breaking a user agreement, most people would just ban them or so to save alot of trouble... Hope that clears some of it up

LoVer said:
So, I've always wondered. What keeps companies like irrational and others like the makers of UT from going after these people and making examples of them in court. Is it just too expensive or troublesome? I'd think if you smacked a few of them down with some hefty fines or even jailtime these script kiddies would think twice. Too expensive? Not possible?

It will have a reverse effect and spawn thousands of would be game hackers.
Just look at how many people are on Kevin Mitnicks cawk.

jmomandown said:
Because techniqually they aren't doing anything ilegal, they are altering their own gameplay not yours. When they bought the product.... they gained the right to do this...... What I assume will happen is once the offical Tribes Vengeance release comes out, there will be an anti cheat client program required on servers with an agreement that you must not alter it in any way. If someone cheats at that point.... legal action is perfectly resonable as they are breaking a user agreement, most people would just ban them or so to save alot of trouble... Hope that clears some of it up

:lol:

KnightMare said:

you laugh but it is these same terms that Epic used to sue HelioS for those screenshots alone that you see on page 1

"breaking the EULA"

thats the grounds they used when approaching him and his hosts...

they dont even have to integrate a user agreement into the anticheat, all they have to do is integrate it into the product itself (which nearly every game nowa days has a Terms of Service)

then its just if its cost effective to the company, or if the venture would eat a hole in their pockets....

-[ELF]osGb`-

Looks like a pretty bad "cheat". Wouldnt be very useful to me at all. And annoying to have all that one your screen.

Tajora said:
you laugh but it is these same terms that Epic used to sue HelioS for those screenshots alone that you see on page 1

"breaking the EULA"

thats the grounds they used when approaching him and his hosts...

they dont even have to integrate a user agreement into the anticheat, all they have to do is integrate it into the product itself (which nearly every game nowa days has a Terms of Service)

then its just if its cost effective to the company, or if the venture would eat a hole in their pockets....

-[ELF]osGb`-

thats why I was laughing, they can sue you before you install an anticheat.

Santa said:
What HelioS did does nothing. In T2 you had a public script called 'player waypoints', which did the SAME thing, with no distance limit. No one used it cause it was worthless and confusing.

:rofl: :lol: :rofl: Ignorance is bliss indeed :lol:

In the U.S., it's technically illegal to even attempt to circumvent any protection measures...at least that's written in the DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act). I know this because I used to work for a company that involved circumventing protection measures (in a legitimate way, but still) and the DMCA nearly shut that company down, even though it was in Canada.

IIRC there was a court case that may have opened up a defense to the whole thing, but I don't know any of the details...I haven't been following this stuff for a few years.

Last edited:
i dont think we should give these kids so much attention coz thats all they after

if u really want a "challenge" do something responsible
u will notice then how hard it is to actually MAKE something and how easy it is for some kid to destroy it

hacking code is about as much a challenge as destroying the windows from a busstop

This reminds me of the time people from a software company came over to install some software in the server room. The lady that works at the help desk asked me who was going into the server room and I told her that it was leet haxor. Later she told the sys admin that leet haxor went into the server room. That was a riot. :)

Back