[T:V cheating] Oh fsck.

Origim said:
Irrational Games Devs:

Contact DrSiN (Epic employee in charge of code security) or Wormbo (freelance guy who develops AntiTCC- an anti-cheat program) on official Atari forums (Use pm system or something):

http://www.ina-community.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=214

http://www.ina-community.com/

They have experience fighting cheats of similar nature.

I wouldn't navigate to that site. Knowing the nature of this, It probably contains 372590 various viruses, even though this is not an exe file.

What HelioS did does nothing. In T2 you had a public script called 'player waypoints', which did the SAME thing, with no distance limit. No one used it cause it was worthless and confusing.

aolh4x0r said:
I wouldn't navigate to that site. Knowing the nature of this, It probably contains 372590 various viruses, even though this is not an exe file.

Uhh.. it's an official Atari webesite.
icon3.gif

It even has a Tribes: Vengeance beta post in the UT2004 section. :)

Santa said:
What HelioS did does nothing. In T2 you had a public script called 'player waypoints', which did the SAME thing, with no distance limit. No one used it cause it was worthless and confusing.
For T:V this doesnt mean much, since it already has built in Radar, however limited it is. The main thing is if he also has his aimbot ported over. That with the sniper rifle might be a problem.

Xipher said:
For T:V this doesnt mean much, since it already has built in Radar, however limited it is. The main thing is if he also has his aimbot ported over. That with the sniper rifle might be a problem.

The rifle has a slight delay, no hit contact. So no worky.

Xipher said:

yea aimbots might b stupid, but seeing how the sniper rifle is, since its not instant might make it harder? :shrug:

TheRoDent said:
Sigh. Chaps... It's got _nothing_ to do with what you can see and cannot see whilst in the game, and what the fogging distance is. Forget trying to deceive yourselves that this is somehow "not worse than what you'd be able to see in-game any case"...

The server will send positional updates for objects to your client within a certain range or "scope" that is "interesting" to your client. That's how most modern FPS's netcode works. Whether those objects are hidden behind others or within visible range or not, is irrelevant. It is THIS information that is being used to draw the overlays in these screenshots. Not what is "visible" to a human. XYZ coordinates are being intercepted, and "enhanced" via means of these crosses.

What you can see on the screen has got NO relation to what gets sent to your client. The fact is that this thing prolly injects some code into the .exe, and monitors coordinates for any "in-scope" object. Recall Happymod's FlagFinder. The flag didn't have to be in view for it to be able to tell you where it is. Same with T2's HappyMod perma-iff's/object locators.

* TheRoDent puts $10 on a screeny appearing shortly that shows a monstrous overlaid flag indicator, and some snazzy height lines that shows precise spampoints for deployables, inv's etc...

He is hacking the memory streams from the client to the server... thats all hacks are is replacing bits... Most hacks are of this nature i know this as I have seen it done and I know how it can be done as i can do it on my own. All that is required is patience and a hex editor.

Does this mean i cheat no but knowing your enemy is the key to victory and and i have done extensive research on my own servers as i am admin for my own clan and our servers so i know exactly what i am looken at here. Americas Army has been dealing with this flaw for a long time now.

The only way to prevent this kind of hack is to do screenshots and cvar checks...even then people code cheats to shut off as soon as they see a screenshot request come in from the server.

Santa said:
Well with all the x & y movement the aimbot = worthless
Why exactly is extrapolating a position from movement data impossible? I'm not an expert on writing cheats, but seeing how it would be mathematically possible and relatively easy, why not?

Back