[T:V cheating] Oh fsck.

You know what they say about living things; they will all eventually die. You might as well kill yourself now.

-[BLB]-blAyz`-

borlaK said:
there was HM2 for a long time in T2, and was even put up for DL on a website at one point and I'm sure it spread like fire from then on. but did the top teams change position? no.. you try to let some program do the thinking for you in Tribes, and you are dead.

Maybe they were all using it? :)

Calder said:
Its better if its released in beta, and the devs actually do something about it and fix it before retail.

as he said, its close to impossible to prevent all cheats and i tend to believe him.

i say let the man keep his little hobby because there isnt anything we can do about it really (but to ask nicely that he wouldnt release it)

I think it's come to wide use already. Was on a public server today and was sniped away like WTF.... I couldn't even see anyone through the fog, but I was sniped away repeatedly....

_Kater_ said:
I think it's come to wide use already. Was on a public server today and was sniped away like WTF.... I couldn't even see anyone through the fog, but I was sniped away repeatedly....
Turn up your fog distance.

Tajora said:
I do excuse you, you are right making cheats is not the most productive thing a person could do with their time..

but it's my hobby so I stick by it-> again please look at my site, the proof of concept src code i released has no trace of cheat code in it what so ever, I don't support cheating and would never give out my sources or projects to any one even if its in a small group because I know people pass things along.

Yes in most cases cheats become widespread, but I am one of the few cases where it doesn't. I'm not trying to justify what I do, and I'm most certainly not saying that its any better than what the next guy does (releasing, botting up a server, what have you) but I know i have a conscience and morals and something inside me tells me what I am doing is fine, others could beg to differ though.

-[ELF]osGb`-

There's a major problem with the justification you propose. I appreciate that smart people like to take things apart and see how they work. I appreciate that these same people, often as a simple thought exercise, like to tinker with things just to see what's possible. Leonardo Da Vinci sketched ideas for deadly war machines on scrap pieces of paper, just because the thought occurred to him. Intellectual curiousity is a good thing.

But Leonardo's sketches, and your screenshots, eventually got seen, and the things eventually got made. Judge for yourself whether that's a good thing or not, because that isn't even the point.

It almost doesn't matter if you release the code or not, because what you have done is introduced the idea into the minds of the community. People will learn that an aimbot is possible and suddenly they will be second-guessing everyone. The days of us saying "nice shot!" will go, and be replaced by "Omfg, aimbot loser!", regardless of whether the person is cheating or not. After that the witch hunting will start, and so will the modding and CRC checks on executables, and constant requesting of demos after clan matches, all of the things that make online gaming a less fun thing to do.

I'm glad there are smart people out there investigating code and innovating. But why couldn't you leave it there? Why did you have to take the next step and publish screenshots saying "hey, look what I can do!" I don't know who that helps, but I certainly know who it hurts: It hurts us all.

[dof]DudshoT said:
but to ask nicely that he wouldnt release it

not up to me

my name != HelioS ;p

It will most likely be released, the question is when.

the mercy of your game is in his hands.

oh and the devs but uh yeah... :closet:

-[ELF]osGb`-

Aimbots work well even with projectile weapons if they're made right. I experimented with one I made with T2's scripting engine and even though it ran slow it would almost always aim right where I needed to for a solid hit with any weapon that went straight because I accounted for almost everything. But, it killed my fps and was tricky to setup, and would be completely useless to any "normal" player.

T:V is very different from T2, though, especially in how players move, and no aimbot is going to be able to predict where a player is that's using the grappler or taking advantage of T:V's increased air mobility. They also aren't a big threat to competition because they would be easy to spot in demos. Of course, right after I say this someone is probably going to add smooth aiming or something to their aimbot :/

Tajora said:
but it's my hobby so I stick by it-> again please look at my site, the proof of concept src code i released has no trace of cheat code in it what so ever, I don't support cheating and would never give out my sources or projects to any one even if its in a small group because I know people pass things along.

-[ELF]osGb`-

I just pray you don't release anything. Years of playing tribes, paying for servers, mapping, skinning, etc, etc. This is a substantial hobby/recreation of mine and many others.

Work on making games better, not scaring the pants off people like me ;) Help Irrational make a better game, show them how to fix exploits or something.

I guess if it has been around for a while and the UT community can't stop it, then it is probably unstoppable. :(

Anyway, as long as the Ladder admins know what to look for and if we have the ability to have serverside demos (maybe??) then I am not too worried. A demo of a guy jerking around killing people will be real easy to spot. And, catching guys staring through buildings at IFFs gets easy to see. It is one thing to have a cheat, it is another to use it so nobody can tell. People can spot the impossible shot so easy nowadays.

Like Borlak said, cheating is more of a pub annoyance than a real problem in ladder matches. I am sure it has occured in tons of T1 and T2 matches, but in general - skill > cheating.

Any sort of aimbot for projectile weapons will be no better than the T1 plasma turrets. If you maintain a constant velocity you get hit. If you alter it you're fine. In addition the aimbot will not be able to account for the different height of terrain the target is moving over, so his landing spot may not be what is predicted.
Still don't think it can really replace a good player that can guess an enemies next move based on terrain, enemie's goal, and current movement habits.

Koko said:
A single screenshot proves nothing, could be a hoax.

true, have you thought that someone might have just photochopped it to make the community fall into an utter panic and ruin the game, even tho they really have no hax

edit: i suck at reading threads, nm.

Last edited:
Back