[HOW TO] Host a *dedicated* server, configure, setup webadmin

Is there anyway to get server working without opening tcp ports?
We have a server at university and only udp ports are open. Server does not appear on master's list and direct connect does not work either. T1 and T2 servers have been running there without problems.

The following UDP ports need to be opened:

The following TCP ports need to be opened:

I got this info from: http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/TribesVengeance/FAQ_Firewall.htm

Last edited:
Mine's running fine with only inbound UDP 7777 and 7778 open and I suspect that 7777 alone would do it. I know at least one other from earlier in this thread is using the same setup. I'm not filtering any outbound connections though, so it may very well be a TCP outbound at play here that the server uses to advertise itself, maybe that 28910, but connecting to what, the TCP 7777-8 on the masters?

Last edited:
Looking for the command to change timelimit...any help would be appreciated.

(of course without having access to the server's .ini files)

Last edited:
Can we get an official word on release of a linux DEDICATED SERVER daemon? Maybe put it in the FAQ?

Q: Will there be a Linux port? What about for Macs?
A: They'll hopefully have a linux server available when the game ships, but they do not plan to make a linux client to play the game. There are no plans to support a Mac port for either client or server

This point will seriously effect the long term viability of T:V IMHO.

Last edited:
How can I put a server online behind a Linux-Firewall (Redhat)? I have opened all the ports and even tried to forward them to my own PC (cause that's the thing where the server's running on),

I forwarded port 7777 to my own LAN IP, and it still didn't worked... maybe you guys know a solution for this problem?

Thanks alot,
Draiden.

There's nothing wrong with firedaemon, but alternatively, the Windows resource kit contains the files Instsrv.exe and Srvany.exe that can run pretty well anything as a service. They're small and efficient.

Copy the files instsrv.exe and srvany.exe to your system somewhere (C:\winnt\system32).

1. Install the Srvany service:
Instsrv TVserver c:\winnt\system32\srvany.exe

2. In your services applet configure how you want the service to start (automatic and log on as local system) and set it to "allow interaction with desktop".

3. Add the parameters to srvany to make it actually run your server... Start|Run, type 'regedit" and hit enter:

Browse to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TVserver and create a new key called Parameters .

3a. Create a new string value inside the Parameters key called Application and enter the full path to your server.exe (C:\Program Files\VUgames\Tribes Vengeance Beta\Program\Bin\tribesv_mpbeta_en.exe) as the new string value.

3b. Create a new string value inside the Parameters key called AppParameters and enter the command line parameters you use for the server (mp-isle?maxplayers=20 -server) as the new string value.

3c. Create a new string value inside the Parameters key called AppDirectory and enter the path to your server directory (C:\Program Files\VUgames\Tribes Vengeance Beta\Program\Bin) for the new string value.

Close regedit and start the TVserver service from your services applet (or just reboot the machine) and if neither of us left anything out, your T:V server should be up and running as a service!

Last edited:
Hmmmm...

I just noticed something strange. When I first started to host T:V, the CPU usage was at maximum with two servers totalling 36 players.

Now I've only got one server running regularly at 32 players, and it doesn't go above 55% or so with the server full.

Nothing else has changed except that. I wonder if having two T:V servers, full or not was really making that much of a difference?

Wierd, but good news. I wonder if I can start hosting T2 again :p

I'm gonna play around with it a bit.

Big monkey, what specs is your box? If it is dual processor or hyperthreading at all. The server will not use more then what appears to be 50%. Check the process itself it is probably running at 48-50%. And the other % that you see being used is from windows on the other cpu/thread.

I have the 3.2 GHz package. It doesn't say anything about it being a dual proc machine though.

And ya I guess it is using the hyperthreading, but I can't really say I understand what that means. But ya the T:V server alone uses almost all of the CPU usage, and the rest of it by what's left of the running processes.

:shrug:

One more question:
currently running 2x24 Slot servers and whenever they get full one starts to experience sth like timeloops. You can walk forward but 2 seconds later you're thrown back to where you started. Systemload is below 50%.
Anyone got an idea about that?

BranDaWG said:
Is there something that you must do to get the in game admin features to work? None of the ingame features seem to work.

You have to use the console commands for now. GUI interface for admin controls is broken.

Still no go...TCP and UPD ports (from 1024 onward) are opened now but still nobody can see the server on the list. Direct connection from the console doesn't work either. (except from the same LAN with the server) T1 / T2 servers have succesfully been running on this same box for years without probs. What is still missing? Screencap of ports opened by T:V:

http://www.laza.nu/gifs/dof/servu.png

TCP:3333 is some random port, it changes all the time. I can't see any listings of ports reported by other people (TCP 7777 etc.)

Then there's this:
System:8 TCP kikkula.ele.tut.fi:4197 kroq.gamespy.com:29920 TIME_WAIT

it's there for a few minutes, then disappears.

Serverwindow shows the following:

Log: Stats connection initialised
ScriptLog: Gamespy server key setting port to 7777
GameSpy qr2: (5) No challenge value was received from the master server.

Even if stupidSpy can't connect for some reason why can't clients even connect directly? :/

Back