Do NOT like the game

I didn't like T:V at first because I played T1 for so many years, but I said "Its a new game", so I got used to it. Yes I play T1 from time to time, but T:V is a pretty nice game. Yeah theres only 4 maps, but its beta. There will be bigger, better maps when the game is released. Personaly I like T:V more than T1, because its a new game with new options. Yeah theres a few things I'd like to be put back in T:V, but its not going to happend.

wow. I see some of the 12 year olds aren't back in school yet. In 8th grade they will teach you bigger words than "moron" and "idiot" so don't worry. You might even start liking girls and play less video games.

As regards the non-smacktards who had intelligent replies to my post: I loved T1, and still play it. Not sure what people mean by what was removed from T1. The one thing that really bothered my was the removal of the deployable sensor jammer. One of the things I liked to do in T1 was hunt snipers; ON THE LARGE MAPS IT WAS A CHALLENGE (caps for TV devs).

In T2 I like to shrike cap, and that is GONE. It was a rush, as any capper knows. Grapple capping is cute, but not a rush. BTW, I didn't like being a cloaker, I liked killing them. As a HOF, or doing base d, some of my best times were these contests with some very skilled cloakers. GONE. In T2, fast bomber capping was a blast. GONE. Yes, I hated small maps like minotaur, so I can see where people who like the deathmatch/ctf feel rather than the largescale/strategic/challenging aspects of Tribes (1 or 2) would disagree with me.

I can see where the devs are trying to make a game that pulls people into the action and keeps them there. But like I said, I have UT2004 or quake for that. Tribes was something different. TV is a step backwards for the Tribes franchise. Just how rapidly the flaming started in response to my views is a good indicator of that. Twitchy smacktards will be in their glory with TV. Neat game, but no substance.

Slayer|Reaper said:

The fact that I am in Tribalwar forums is all I need to know...and being flamed is no surprise.

Tribalwar forums sadly have a reputation as a haven for flamers and smacktards (many of which I got to see live at Tribalwars to confirm this). Slayer and Void, 12 year olds, shouldnt you be at Staples buying your notebooks and calculators.... don't forget the clearasil.

All of those things that you said you enjoy aren't needed for a great game of CTF. In a 10v10 game if someone is out 'hunting snipers' there's one less person filling a useful position IMHO. If physics were done right in T2, you wouldn't need the shrike to have that heart pounding, high speed adrenaline rush. There are other ways to gain speed coming up on a route and it worked fine in T1, it was called skiing. I'm glad you had fun doing these things, but they are very situational things that you wouldn't necessarily do every game. No doubt they wouldn't require a position in any type of strategical sense.

Strega said:
Uhmm...the Speed Pack is one of the best packs in the game.

I agree, it's the pack i use the most, i was just stating that with the current "all seeing eye" sensor system, i think the sj pack would have been a nice edition or replacement. :)

The need for situational awareness is one of the things that attracted me to tribes, and tribes 2, but with the current system i feel that the need for that skill has been greatly reduced. I can live with it, but it has definately taken out a skill that differentiated a good player from a great one. :)

eeyore said:
The oob wall is an absolute sacrilege to the whole idea of freedom in tribes that was a hallmark of the game. That in itself makes me not want to play. In short: "you are in a cage. Go back to the dueling.." Screw that.

no more artful farmers who hide the small turrets in strategic places.

Planetside for my enjoyment.

For real that sucks cuz I spend so much time miles away from the action admiring the repetitive terrain. Now I feel claustrophobic in my 20 foot by 10 foot cage.

That line gave me a nice warm tingly feeling.

Planetside? :rofl:

eeyore said:
Been playing Tribes for 5 years..my in game tag is eeyore,and I play with the Mature Asskickers (MA), mainly the BEML ladder which is still very active. .

I don't likeTV at all. It dumbs down tribes to be basically ut2004 with jetpacks.

The oob wall is an absolute sacrilege to the whole idea of freedom in tribes that was a hallmark of the game. That in itself makes me not want to play. In short: "you are in a cage. Go back to the dueling.." Screw that.

The air vehicles absolutely suck, but then the game was designed for small maps and dueling , so no need for cool vehicles like the thundersword or shrike. The game will suck without them. I like the MPB. Weapons are excellent. Physics are great. Maps are gorgeous.

They have taken out some of the best things about tribes. I enjoyed playing the beta for a few weeks, but realised I was geting bored after about 25 minutes of playing, much like the UT series. Tribes 1 or two I could play for hours on end and not get bored. Not this dog. What a shame. Tribes has become just another FPS game.

no more artful farmers who hide the small turrets in strategic places.

no more fast bombing runs.

no more fast shrike capping. Being a HOF in TV is basically useless, and there is no tension. I used to like the anticipation of looking in all directions for the fast capper coming in off a shrike....no more... just get mortared or duel.

I lost interest in the beta, basically, and will go back to playing t2 and t1 with whoever is still there. I truly hope the modders and map makers can salvage this game.

With the advanced CC and larger maps, Tribes 2 could be taken to another level by good players....using the cc and shrike radar to detect incoming enemies or their deployables; capping from a bomber.

TV is TOO SLOOOOOOWWWWWW.

No more cloakers? WTH is up with that?

The shield pack is useless.

Again, this is a very pretty, dumbed down game which I have no interest in playing. If my tribe decides to play it I will tolerate it I guess, but wiill as I said be looking for T1, T2, and Planetside for my enjoyment.
then wtf ur doing here?

Agreed, to a point. Note I never said it was a bad game, or that it should be T2....I just made some points about what I did not like about the game. (obnoxious pre-teen smacktards : read that as "opinion" though I know 3 syllables is tough for some of you)
On the plus side, The graphics are amazing. For the 20 minute stints I do play, it really is amazing.

They could have done a better job incorporating (another big word, smacktards... it means to use SOME things, not make a clone) some gameplay aspects from the others which made the franchise unique. The reason I loved T2 after playing T1 and could overlook things like the deployable sensor jammer being gone is that they improved upon the gameplay and the game rather than radically redesigning it. Vehicles were faster and more useful, eye candy was pretty cool at the time, the physics were good, etc. I agree that a makeover has been long overdue for t2, and TV does this perfectly, from the textures, to the terrain, to the ragdoll stuff...all just amazing and first rate. I guess the game now just feels "smaller" and insubstantial. You may be right, maybe once the full version is out and more tweaks are made it could be change my view.

I think the problem you have with the game, that you aren't properly addressing, isn't that the game's combat and movement are too slow, or that your favorite vehicles are gone, it's that you don't like how everything is so compact that there's relatively little to do in comparison to past titles other than fight.

With the maps being as small as they are, and vehicles sponsoring a nonessential cowboy philosophy rather than T1's team-necessity or T2's service role philosophy, as well as the nuetering of the support deployables, T:V flourishes an even flow of design. This is designed for the purpose of accessibility, although this in turn makes the game too fast in terms of the roles it dictates and not in terms of how fast it moves physically.

In Tribes 1 and even 2, everything was very team-oriented - all concepts were formulated to necessitate this. The vehicles often were useless without a teammate, speeds were regulated by massive terrain that thinned as player numbers increased, and objectives were inaccessible to solitary players because they funneled players through enemies.

While T:V obviously has teamplay in mind, there's a greater mindset that's influenced its development, and that is the mentality that the core gameplay is still under revision. How the player skis, how the packs work, how fast and heavily armored all the players are - these are the things that T:V has adjusted. However, with the focus resting on the player, not the game, we end up with a superior first person shooter. Sounds good, right? Not necessarily.

When the game is balanced to focus on how players combat one another, you end up with the mentality of the game falling into what you're doing, not what's going on around you. That's why you'll hear some people cry foul and claim the game resembles UT or Quake, since the game itself is centrical to the player and equipment and not the surroundings.

Back