Do NOT like the game

I guess you kinda had to be there. We were just messing around and tried to win by just sending 3 offense. I think half the team had negative scores since our tanks were competing to see who could TK the most.

Disdain said:
OpenGL: Not necessary. Why should they support a backdoor "hack"?
EAX: I've used it and summarily disabled it every chance I get. Every EAX implimentation that I've heard is crap.

i guess i understand them not 'supporting' OpenGL. not even Epic does. but it exists because the UT engine plays on Linux and Mac engines. They are literally killing the Linux/MAC compatibility for no other reason than to appease ATI which always loses to Nvidia in OpenGL games. they even admit at ATI that they are rebuilding their OpenGL driver to try and get it right for once.

and it does run faster. especially on low-end machines. which raises your user-base numbers, leading to better saturation of the game and more players in the servers.

EAX is true hardware acceleration of all Creative Live/Audigy cards. its the ppositional logic that creates a true 3D sound image. If you own a Soundblaster card and are not using EAX, you are wasting your money on the technology. it takes a bit more configuration, but the payoff is seriously worth it. (especially in flagD. i can hear your grenade launcher at 100yards and know what direction you are coming from)

-A- ...Lost? said:
i guess i understand them not 'supporting' OpenGL. not even Epic does. but it exists because the UT engine plays on Linux and Mac engines. They are literally killing the Linux/MAC compatibility for no other reason than to appease ATI which always loses to Nvidia in OpenGL games. they even admit at ATI that they are rebuilding their OpenGL driver to try and get it right for once.
They weren't planning to do a Mac version anyway, and a linux client is impossible because Havok's incompatibility issues.
-A- ...Lost? said:
and it does run faster. especially on low-end machines. which raises your user-base numbers, leading to better saturation of the game and more players in the servers.
I thought that was the function of what kind of vid card you used? :shrug:
-A- ...Lost? said:
EAX is true hardware acceleration of all Creative Live/Audigy cards. its the ppositional logic that creates a true 3D sound image. If you own a Soundblaster card and are not using EAX, you are wasting your money on the technology. it takes a bit more configuration, but the payoff is seriously worth it. (especially in flagD. i can hear your grenade launcher at 100yards and know what direction you are coming from)
Still, it's not something that will make or break the game.

Techlogic said:
I guess you kinda had to be there. We were just messing around and tried to win by just sending 3 offense. I think half the team had negative scores since our tanks were competing to see who could TK the most.

Yeah I rocked our LD so hard :D

Julius said:
because all the teams u play use havocs and tanks and bombers and grav cycles right. there might be 1 shrike D depending on the map and if your team has a really good shriker. besides that :|
Apparently you missed the Tribal-Wars Tribes 2 East vs. West match.

-A- ...Lost? said:
If you own a Soundblaster card and are not using EAX, you are wasting your money on the technology.
I have an audigy platinum. I've taken the time to mess with it, but the games I play with it on don't have a very good implimentation or it's a crap feature because it never works and has caused many sound anomalies for me.

-A- ...Lost? said:

Nvidia cards run D3D games just fine. The framerate differences are trivial cept with AA and AF maxed out at high resolutions. Its not like Nvidia owners are getting screwed or anything.

UT plays on Linux and Macs so how are they killing linux/mac compatibility.

Fatman said:
eax always sounds like im playing in a subway station bathroom.. i must have something set wrong.

thats because you have the EAX settings wrong. once you run a game in EAX, you have to configure your sound entirely from within the Creative software they provide. a common problem is that users are not setting up the software to the proper speaker configuration they are running. if you switch to headphones, you need to go into creative software and change it to headphones or you will get wierd sound logic, missing sounds, etc. there is also a EAX CONSOLE. in it , be sure to disable any distortion enhancements in there. you will see a bar for REVERB, set it to O and fix the echo. this can also be fixed by running the latest Audigy drivers from asia.creative.com

I have already enabled EAX in every beta build of Tribes:Vengeance (which is being pushed through OpenAL, an open-source free version of EAX 3.0 logic) and i can tell you that it runs very well and very stable.

Tribes2 utilized the MILES sound logic system. it claims to be configurable to EAX, Direct3D and software rendered. but the problem for us was that the entire T2 engine team left before the entire EAX logic was overhauled in version 3.0 (AdvancedHD support) and MILES updated their logic (a 3rd-party plug-in sound code.) but Dynamix/Sierra had no way of updating the engine because they had no development team at all.

THIS IS THE CORE OF THE UNHANDLED EXCEPTION BUG.

the first thing the dev team did at GarageGames was fix the Torque engine and yank out the buggy MILES code and update it to OpenAL logic. it worked and that engine was stable for all with pure EAX that never failed.

It would be another year before Sierra would suck it up and contract GarageGames with a very limited-scope update patch. core bugs only. they left in the MILES code.

currently the onlly other gamees in existance with MILES code are the only ones known to have the UNHANDLED EXCEPTION bug. most of them patched out of it. but they had a real publisher that cleans up their shazbot.

so dont knock out EAX. keep tweaking and you will be very very glad u did.

(p.s. - subwoofer cross-over technology is also included. so you really havent ever heard your subwoofer used properly with jetpack sounds, etc. unless you have run EAX right.)

I think some games simply over-do the reverberation and such in certain areas of the game. The result is the odd sounding bathroom effect in areas of the game that clearly shouldn't sound like that. In many other games, EAX tends to do very well and adds to the immersion of the game. :shrug:

That and I only have a Live! 5.1 card, I can't get "EAX 2". Not really sure what type of a difference it provides anyways.

Edit: how do you say you tweak the EAX settings anyways? I see EAX presets, but they override in-game settings. Is this probably because you're talking from an Audigy stand-point? :ack:

Edit2: And can you clarify the sub-woofer crossover thing? Man I'm an audio newb.

Last edited:
Is that you Panama Jack?!?

Either way, there is certain group of older Tribes players who can't handle the faster pace game and prefer it slow and dull - I am not one of them.

I stopped reading after page 6, because I figure by now everyone who needs school supplies has them.

For those people who didn't play Tribes1: Tribes 2 was SUPPOSED to be what T:V(hopefully) is now. T2 was supposed to innovate the original. Instead it totally revamped it and it sucked for most of those who loved T1.

I stopped playing T2 shortly after it came out, someone clarify for me. Capping in a Shrike > capping in t1 (in terms of fun/excitement)?

It was almost completely opposite. Maps were huge, there were too many vehicles and skiing sucked ass. It was WAY too easy to MA people. They basically took out all the elements that made T1 so great.

The difference is, T2 was never great.

All comments made are the sole opinion of me, and in no way or shape represent the opinion of the entire Tribes1 community. :)

Back