[T:V] The sensor system

i have seen vids of the pod and how very destructive it is. Tell me, how hard would it be for the pod to hover far above and just quickly rocket the hell out of the sensor?

How hard would it be to tone down the damage rocket pod rockets do to a sensor while looking at the potential for a rocket launcher to maul the crap out of a pod pretty quickly?

Rev. Night said:
i have seen vids of the pod and how very destructive it is. Tell me, how hard would it be for the pod to hover far above and just quickly rocket the hell out of the sensor?

Whatever they do, they need to integrate some type of visual IFF, within a certain distance. All on or all off just won't cut it, IMO, for reasons listed throughout this thread.

C'mon KP.

ZProtoss said:
Certainly they'd have a decent chance of getting caps. However if you make it take an effort to take down the sensor, you have a balanced look at this from two different angles. Which is worth more? The sensor being down for a few minutes for runs, or non-stop runs during the time you could use to take down the sensor? These are the *good* types of decisions you'd want a team to make, as it varies up the game as a whole and keeps things fresher than they would be otherwise.
With the power of the sensor, all teams will opt for taking it out, especially in your system where it's guaranteed to be down for several minutes. Anyways, the sensor will just be another target of HO, so you won't be taking anyone off of flag runs. It won't be much different from T1, which also has a sensor, except that this sensor will be a top priority for repairs.

At the very least make permanent flag finder an admin option for server operators and display the value in the server info screen with any other mutator changes. I guarantee the ones with a flag finder will be busier.

I really dont like the idea of 1 main sensor controlling all enemy IFF's with no backup portable sensors. Seems like it will disadvantage new/less skilled players the most, who hardly contribute to the game as is. Tribes is also unique in that players move in and out of sight/weapons range very very quickly compared to no iff games making the loss of enemy iff even more prominent.

I think there should always be short ranged LOS sensors on each player, anywhere from 20-50m, 90-180 degrees from the players front.

As for the perma flag icon, i loved that in t2...sooo many snipes :p ..but u could improve it so it only pulses on every 5-10 secs or so its not such a snipe target..and likewise doesnt enable ppl to hide near oob for hrs in some maps like sb/sh back in t1 old days.

KP's idea is nice and refreshing (with little tweaks here and there ofcourse).

and those who whine about enemies being without IFF havent probably played bf or
similar games where it is 'challenging' to regognize friends and foes. In tribes your life isnt dependant of milliseconds and generally you have time to take a good look of your
target (which even without IFF is different shaped and different coloured unlike in
WW2 etc games).

im sick of 'everything was better in t1' (and even if it was pretty good concept,
atleast i want to play something new)

dang it..

[dof]DudshoT said:
KP's idea is nice and refreshing (with little tweaks here and there ofcourse).

and those who whine about enemies being without IFF havent probably played bf or
similar games where it is 'challenging' to regognize friends and foes. In tribes your life isnt dependant of milliseconds and generally you have time to take a good look of your
target (which even without IFF is different shaped and different coloured unlike in
WW2 etc games).

im sick of 'everything was better in t1' (and even if it was pretty good concept,
atleast i want to play something new)

dang it..

I've played BF42/BFV alot, and don't mind it one bit, because I know that disadvantage is the same for BOTH SIDES. I won't go into the fact that you can indeed get icons showing friendlies in BF though. But this isn't BFV, is it?

My main argument, besides making everything simplistic, is the permanent flag finder. Under no conditions should this be a part of this game.

LouCypher said:
At the very least make permanent flag finder an admin option for server operators and display the value in the server info screen with any other mutator changes. I guarantee the ones with a flag finder will be busier.

Whichever is made default will be busier.

Zollooman said:
This is a GOOD sensor system. I like this. It's markedly better than the T1 or T2 sensor systems. Just thinking about the ramifications makes me happy.

The gain or penalty of having no radar or FFI will depend on how visibility is in T:V... Remember, theres a reason why fudgeing 'invicibility' combo was never used in any competitive play in ut2k4. It's simply because 'visibility', or 'being able to spot your enemy' is not a viable skill factor in games yet. Graphics are not there yet. Today someone will find a way to spot enemies. My general advice is make the rules clean and effective across the board.
If the flag indicator is on no matter where the enemy fc is, then there is that obvious benefit of taking out the sensor. As far as I can see that is good gameplay (and obvious since you will do the radar-is-out-of-order graphics:)).

T2:
T2 sensor system, contrary to what people here are saying, imo worked absolutely great for that game, with that movement.

I don't have eneugh experience with T1 to say anything about how well its flag indicator was, but in T2 it seemed to work excelent; if you didn't have a freindly in view of him, there was no indicator. If you COULD see him, sure you saw that he had the flag. I don't see how this is wrong.

I'd also like to brag about how my team used motion sensors and shazbot. fu

questions:
I hope there will be 'command screen' waypoint function before it ships, or no? - if so why not. Is it even viable in T:V?

I'm thinking what would happen if we put the sensor function in the generators, together with inv power. And made it tougher to kill, would it be more fun and obvious, or no?

What if there was no one single default sensor field. But you had like 3 smaller ones to place. These where then destructable only by killing the main sensor thing. This way there would be skill in where you would choose to place your sensors, and you would have to place them again if your main sensor goes down. But they wouldn't be as small in sensor range or as easy to kill as in T2.

pretty much everything I would have said has been said.. so my ballot is

- Foe Finders with limited range when sensor down... but not whole map when sensor up, some sorta range from sensor also.
- If we are having a FF, that sensor going down totally nuke it.

Are there plans to implement teammates as visible sensors? eg In T2, if enemies are being seen by a teammate they will appear in the CC (briefly) even when they are not in sensor range. I think the new system (with some tweaking) could be a good improvement, but the lack of offensive sensor options is a bad thing imo. Correct me if im wrong here, but i seriously doubt there would be any sensor covering the enemy base. This would essentially lead any offense in completely blind :|

As an example, having a LO swoop in through their defence and lighting up their defence with enemy IFF's until theyre out of sight would balance this whole sensor debate out. Simply placing a distance and angular cap would lessen any abuse it may cause and so finally balancing the time-space continuum ;)

my 2c

edit: Not sure if it has already been asked, but do any of the vehicles currently have sensor capability built in?

Having flag finder is about the gayest thing iv heard that T:V will have.

Flag finder was one of the first things i noticed and hated about T2. And its one of the things that made the game suck. I mean come on, this is about the biggest newbie feature a game could have, no ctf game should have this gayass feature unless its specificly ment for casual players/people who suck. I know it can be stopped but i think it shouldnt have the feature in anyway in the first place.

Im either hopeing this shazbot gets changed before release (during beta) or it can be disabled for competition play or something.

Last edited:
Flag finder never bothered me. Sure it makes the flag carrier extra vunerable, but so what? I think it keeps the game momenum going, and makes it harder to turtle.

The new sensor system sound good, execept maybe we need enemy FFI's always work with some some small radius of the player. Or maybe not, depending on how well the deferend armor type's can be distinguished.

Heh you t1 noobs get excited about teh flag finder alright :p

Flag finder has its pros and cons, yes it helps teh noobs, but also focuses gameplay around the flag. Btw im pretty sure the main reason for its inclusion in t2 was the fact the gameworld was much more detailed than t1, larger maps, more detailed bases, multi fog layers, multi bodies of water with fog..all make 10x as many hiding spots. Now T:V has pretty much all that and added option of grappling to any surface..so instead of checking inside a building in each corner, u also to get to check every ceiling corner aswell.

Call me lazy but id rather chase an icon than search oob/every nook & crag in a map for the flag thx.

Back