[T:V] The sensor system

Not at all. You can use the potential of defensive complacency against the defense. If people get into a habit of relying *only* on this new sensor, then when you take down the sensor it's going to be insanely easy to cap. Smart LD will still be looking everywhere regardless. Because if you don't keep the habit up, when the sensor goes down you're far more likely to give up a cap.

Shoddy said:
Two concerns:

1) Having *all* the enemies show up on your radar seems too powerful. I'd think it would negate the D's need to be constantly scanning in all directions, trying to decide whether they can spare the 5 seconds to rearm at the inv.

KP

What was wrong with the T2 system? I always thought it was brilliant system. What decisicion made you turn it off.. when it actually seems that it would be more usefull than ever..

Killing 1 sensor dont sound too hard, and i feel bad for the guy who is dedicated to SensorDefence in match... gl for him :roller:

KP, here's my new question regarding this sensor system. What level of durability are we looking at for this sensor? With what level of repair? I was thinking that a newer concept like this could use a newer concept in regards to killing it and repairing it. Where you make it exceptionally durable, but give it a longer recovery time to compensate.

Let me put up an example of what I'm talking about. Let's put one of these new super sensors on top of the dx base. Give it immense durability (say 20 mortars to kill). Give it a delayed reactivation to go along with it. Where once it goes down, it isn't able to re-establish it's net for 3 minutes.

What this does is, it opens up more options offensively in regards to what a team is going to do. Instead of making a sensor an easy to take out and easy to repair asset, you're making it an asset that requires strong effort to take out, with a strong reward. If you make it something that's easy to take out, you make it less of an option and more of a "yeah we *must* take out the sensor on this run" type deal. Because if its easy to take out, why not?

Wulfen said:
I also don't want to be chasing down a huge flag icon, superimposed over a player. I didn't like T2's one bit, and I don't like this idea either.
In T2 you can change the graphic used for the flag finder, so it is simply a matter of personal preference and your own laziness.

ZProtoss said:
I think this is an excellent idea except for no red IFFs when the sensor is down. Red IFFs should still appear with a downed main sensor, but in a shorter range than if the sensor was up.

The main thing I love about this is the flag finder arguments. You've taken it out of the developers hands (partially anyways), and put it into the players hands. Don't want LD homing in on cappers with super accuracy? Make an effort to kill the sensor to give your cappers more freedom. Focusing on mostly back-front capping? Ignore the sensor and go after the flag/gens.

So anyways, allow red IFFs on visual contact closer up regardless of the sensor, and I'd say its a pretty good innovation overall.

The flag finder being on is an entirely different issue. You will always know where the flag is in every situation. I don't like that one bit.

LouCypher said:
In T2 you can change the graphic used for the flag finder, so it is simply a matter of personal preference and your own laziness.

I know that, I changed it several times. It still interfered with depth perception.

If you don't like it, and your strategy is going to revolve around the other team not having a FF, take out the sensor. It's in your hands under this system.

Wulfen said:
The flag finder being on is an entirely different issue. You will always know where the flag is in every situation. I don't like that one bit.

If the sensor goes down, the FF goes poof. (Well not in the build KP is describing, but it sounds very logical to implement the FF into the sensor as well).

Wulfen said:
Not when everyone and their brother will know where the flag is.

ZProtoss said:
If you don't like it, and your strategy is going to revolve around the other team not having a FF, take out the sensor. It's in your hands under this system.
The difference between having your sensor up and down is far too great. With the sensor this powerful, teams are going to make repairing their sensor a top priority, so it won't be down for long if you destroy it.

ZProtoss said:
If the sensor goes down, the FF goes poof. (Well not in the build KP is describing, but it sounds very logical to implement the FF into the sensor as well).

The flag finder is permananently on. I'm arguing against it being permanently on, and I'm obviously in favor of the T1-style.

Now having said that, I know it won't happen, since they're hellbent. But still, that's what I'd want.

Note my post up above on treating the sensor differently than other assets in repairing and destroying.

RegisteredFruit said:
The difference between having your sensor up and down is far too great. With the sensor this powerful, teams are going to make repairing their sensor a top priority, so it won't be down for long if you destroy it.

You haven't been reading what I've been saying. I'm saying make the FF disappear if your sensor is down, and be up when the sensor is up. Thus it is not "perm on".

Wulfen said:
The flag finder is permananently on. I'm arguing against it being permanently on, and I'm obviously in favor of the T1-style.

Now having said that, I know it won't happen, since they're hellbent. But still, that's what I'd want.

i think this sensor thing is agreat idea. I always felt that the sensor structure was more or less useless and didn't really contribute anything of great importance. In fact, i felt so little of it, whenever i made spam fot T2 Classic matches, i never included waypoints for the sensors. They just were not worth it. Moreover, i was not alone in this opinion.

RegisteredFruit said:

I can already see pick-up players lining up to play 'sensor-repairer'. :p

ZProtoss said:
You haven't been reading what I've been saying. I'm saying make the FF disappear if your sensor is down, and be up when the sensor is up. Thus it is not "perm on".

I know what you mean, and I didn't think you were reading what they were writing, since they have said the FF is permanently on, heh. You're suggesting that it go down with the simplistic radar system, and I really think that's even worse.

If they would just enable vision-related tags, it might not sound so bad, but I think how it is currently is a terrible idea when it comes to competition.

ZProtoss said:
Note my post up above on treating the sensor differently than other assets in repairing and destroying.
Once a team's sensor goes down, they will be at a huge disadvantage. If the sensor is guaranteed to be down for 3 minutes, the other team will probably manage to get some caps out of this advantage.

Wulfen said:
I can already see pick-up players lining up to play 'sensor-repairer'. :p
With more powerful packs, useful vehicles, and the new sensor system, keeping the base up is extremely important. Probably a lot of D will carry repair packs so they can help out with repairs.

Certainly they'd have a decent chance of getting caps. However if you make it take an effort to take down the sensor, you have a balanced look at this from two different angles. Which is worth more? The sensor being down for a few minutes for runs, or non-stop runs during the time you could use to take down the sensor? These are the *good* types of decisions you'd want a team to make, as it varies up the game as a whole and keeps things fresher than they would be otherwise.

RegisteredFruit said:
Once a team's sensor goes down, they will be at a huge disadvantage. If the sensor is guaranteed to be down for 3 minutes, the other team will probably manage to get some caps out of this advantage.

Back