T:V Elfgun Returns!

SarcaStick said:
hey jackass, the elf is a combo weapon. try and learn/understand what teamwork is about. aka Tribes.

k, thx.

Sarca, I don't exactly know your playing background and whether or not your in a Tribe, but in the real world teamwork for the average (nontribe) player is a rare commodity. I do understand that if used in the hands of a good team it will be very effective, but in that case why should we cater to that small group?

If half (generous) of the community is in a Tribe, then I would say less than 15% of that half are actually organized and compete at competition scale. So if your point was that a highly organized Tribe could use the "weapon" effectively then I would say that this catering to Tribal play is retarded. If less than 50% could use it well then why have it at all? I'm sorry but in all my years of playing I havn't seen more than a handful of players actually use the ELF in T2. Maybe I'm just playing in all the wrong places I guess...

And Spin:

Mine disking takes a level of skill to perform, any idiot with half a brain can walk up behind a sniper and give them a dose of electricity up the ass. Your point is mute.

I liked the "idea" of the elf. A tool to use that could be effective, without issuing direct damage. It was a teamwork and strategic tool. That's why I liked the "IDEA" of it.

However, the actual implementation proved that it wasn't a "GOOD" tool to have in the game.

#1 Reason, it was absolutely no fun to be elfed. Only mildly fun to use.
#2 Reason, it took little skill to use, but largely effective at keeping cappers grounded. Skill to use and effectiveness should go almost hand in hand.
#3 Reason, it contradicts the whole premise of Tribes gameplay, "Freedom of movement."

I'm all for something that Irrational can come up with, that is a tool to use, rather than a weapon. The elf is not it.

Rigel said:
Mine disking takes a level of skill to perform
Yeah. A whole lot of skill is required to hover above the flagstand and blow up a mine with disc splash damage as it drops to the ground due to gravity.

I'm surprised Zoolooman didn't show up yet to own every one of us with another page-long deduction about everything that can be told about the elf gun.

:dapopcorn

Rigel said:
Sarca, I don't exactly know your playing background and whether or not your in a Tribe, but in the real world teamwork for the average (nontribe) player is a rare commodity. I do understand that if used in the hands of a good team it will be very effective, but in that case why should we cater to that small group?

If half (generous) of the community is in a Tribe, then I would say less than 15% of that half are actually organized and compete at competition scale. So if your point was that a highly organized Tribe could use the "weapon" effectively then I would say that this catering to Tribal play is retarded. If less than 50% could use it well then why have it at all? I'm sorry but in all my years of playing I havn't seen more than a handful of players actually use the ELF in T2. Maybe I'm just playing in all the wrong places I guess...

And Spin:

Mine disking takes a level of skill to perform, any idiot with half a brain can walk up behind a sniper and give them a dose of electricity up the ass. Your point is mute.

i have absolutely ZERO background in playing Tribes.

p.s. - to mine disc takes skill? :rofl: <---omfg (i wont even bother on that one. it's a no brainer).

anywho to effectively 'elf' takes a hell of a lot more skill than you probably have. so w/e

yea my point is really moot :rofl:

you truly are a jackass afterall. congratz

Rigel said:
Wait... surprised they arn't continuing the Shocklance? What are you stupid, the SL was the worst weapon in the game. Something about a one hit kill just irks 98% of the community.

And the ELF gun has thankfully gone the way of the dodo. I challenge anyone here to give me an instance where an ELF gun would be superior to ANY other weapon. It simply not possible. Even if you say shielder, I'd rather use the Blaster, why destory the shields when you can get right to the armor. If you say hinting a caper, I say a Spinfusor is about 20x better since it can just as easily knock a person from the air, that is if you DON'T suck!

So you are saying SL was worst than elf. HELL NO! You contradict yourself by saying that the SL was the worst and then ask for someone to provide an example of ANY weapon that is worst than the elf. Good Job!

Mine discing takes absolutely no skill. SL-ing someone in the back when they are moving at 250+ requires a lot more precision and calculation.

mixolydian said:
So you are saying SL was worst than elf. HELL NO! You contradict yourself by saying that the SL was the worst and then ask for someone to provide an example of ANY weapon that is worst than the elf. Good Job!

Mine discing takes absolutely no skill. SL-ing someone in the back when they are moving at 250+ requires a lot more precision and calculation.
it's ok though, because he claims he can 'knock a person from the air' (i guess that terminology came from his many many years of experience he has. we know it as MA(Mid Air)) at any given time should he choose to do so.

:rofl:

i used the elf as a HO and capper in T1, it was surprisingly useful for fucking with chasers, teammates who pissed me off, and on DoD it was like the best weapon for base rape.

it wasnt a good weapon in T2 though, but then again T2 wasnt good until TR2 came out.

i just dont weapons SUBTRACTED from the game

substitutes and additional weapons == win

i cant remember who was playing, i think it was Vanguard vs 5150, back in t2 base... there was one screen shot of a capper trying to get away, with 4 LD in a box around the stand elfing him. a real testament to the elf :X

the elf used to make my screen go black and make the elf noise when anyone used the it for the first time in a map no matter where they were on my Viper550

Back