T:V Elfgun Returns!

vawlk said:
Which is why I hated MD and stopped playing T1. The random mine deaths from failed MD's sucked my ass.
Which is one of the other reasons I hate MD. I'm of the opinion if you must have MD in either game the damn mine should explode on contact with the ground if dropped from a certain height or thrown with full force. Would still make deploying them useful but would eliminate strays. Like what the have in LakRabbit I think.

The burninator really worries me. From everything said about it so far, it sounds like a no-skill spam weapon. I can picture LDs spraying the flag area with napalm when someone goes for a grab. Also, catching on fire is extremely annoying in every game I've tried with it.

RegisteredFruit said:
The burninator really worries me. From everything said about it so far, it sounds like a no-skill spam weapon. I can picture LDs spraying the flag area with napalm when someone goes for a grab. Also, catching on fire is extremely annoying in every game I've tried with it.
well, we don't have any details on it.. but i would assume a hof would be more effective in that he stops, or at least screwes up, the capper's route. I doubt they'd make it that powerful, unless you get a direct hit on a person, or something like that.

pyrot3chnic said:
well, we don't have any details on it.. but i would assume a hof would be more effective in that he stops, or at least screwes up, the capper's route. I doubt they'd make it that powerful, unless you get a direct hit on a person, or something like that.
I don't see how they can alter a flame-thrower like weapons so it actually takes skill. Couple low skill with Damage Over Time, and you have an extremely annoying weapon.

Fraggy Poo said:
And the burninator sounds like a good idea, but all you would see is defenders spraying the flagstand so any capper would instantly become burninated.... is this something you want?
We'll see. There are a couple of ways we can tune the burner, and some interesting ways we can give other players the ability to mitigate it's DOT effect if it becomes obvious that it's needed in beta. I'm not too worried about any weapon being too powerful. There are too many ways to limit all of them if required.

Thrax Panda said:
We'll see. There are a couple of ways we can tune the burner, and some interesting ways we can give other players the ability to mitigate it's DOT effect if it becomes obvious that it's needed in beta. I'm not too worried about any weapon being too powerful. There are too many ways to limit all of them if required.

Then why not implement an ELF type weapon and balance it properly?

RegisteredFruit said:
I don't see how they can alter a flame-thrower like weapons so it actually takes skill. Couple low skill with Damage Over Time, and you have an extremely annoying weapon.
It's not a flame thrower. It's more like a sticky plasma gun. It fires a "round", not a stream of flame.

bobotheclown said:
Then why not implement an ELF type weapon and balance it properly?
Because it's not fun, and it's fundamentally anti-tribes. In a game about movement, a tool to frustrate other people's movement is less than optimal.

Thrax Panda said:
It's not a flame thrower. It's more like a sticky plasma gun. It fires a "round", not a stream of flame.

Oh frikin yay! I just made a post about this in the "I want my god damn plasma gun" thread. I'm so glad it's not streaming :)

Please make it have a nice, "crispy" sound like in T1 too :)

maybe they will have a limit on damage dealt over time.. like you can only be burnt once until that damage is done being dealt... if they even have that damage...
Also its kinda dumb to think someone would spam the flag with it... The ammo requirements and the fact that a simple Disk or gernade spam / Hof would be way more effective... Im just wondering what positions will use the burners...

Hopefully you can clear the flag stand of burninator blobs with a disk.

At least it's not a flamethrower... but I still don't like the idea of damage over time. I've never seen a DOT-based weapon implemented in any game in a way that isn't annoying.

Thrax Panda said:
Because it's not fun, and it's fundamentally anti-tribes. In a game about movement, a tool to frustrate other people's movement is less than optimal.

It is fun. I laugh when using it on someone, even when someone's using it on me I still laugh.

I'm not quite sure I got the last sentence. Every projectile with splash damage causes frustration in other peoples movement, in most cases worse than the ELF gun.

T2's ELF, bad implementation. T1's ELF, almost perfect, just a tad underpowered. With the right formula, it can be a very fun weapon.

bobotheclown said:
It is fun. I laugh when using it on someone, even when someone's using it on me I still laugh.
You sound like a happy person.

People who are bubbling with joy may laugh when an elf is used on them, but everyone else finds it annoying.

Thrax Panda said:

I haven't been following the development of T:V simply because stressing about it will have zero impact upon whether or not the final game is a success.

If the above quote is an accurate indicator of the design philosophy then I expect good things.

Besides the 3rd dimension, what set Tribes apart and made it so addictive was the fluid and fast-paced gameplay.

Anyways, thumbs up so far.

Back