T:V Elfgun Returns!

Wils said:
If mine-discing was as easy as you make out, everyone would do it well, and everyone does not. That said, at least part of the skill lies in avoiding being mine-disced while trying to mine-disc the other guy.

It's just a step on from the basic point-and-fire weapons that make up the meat of the selection, and it adds tension and keeps things moving (there's nothing worse than being bogged down duelling someone in midfield who isn't good enough to kill you but will continue to harrass you until you finish him off).

I'm not saying you have to agree with me at all here btw, which is why I asked Thrax if he could explain why he/they chose not to include it. Not that he's ever answered any of my questions ever :)

I can list more problems, other than the lack of skill in their use.

What about when you're returning home, with the flag of course, and you're on your ultra-fast route, then all the sudden step on your teammates mine?

Why should I have to suffer a loss because of my teammates bad attempt at a mine-disk?

bobotheclown said:
I can list more problems, other than the lack of skill in their use.

What about when you're returning home, with the flag of course, and you're on your ultra-fast route, then all the sudden step on your teammates mine?

Why should I have to suffer a loss because of my teammates bad attempt at a mine-disk?

If you can list more problems other than lack of skill, please do so. If that example was your best, I'd say it was too tenuous to hold water.

Why should I have to suffer a loss because of my teammates bad attempt at grenade-spamming the ld chasing me?

Where is your teammate to pick up the flag after you drop it, anyway? :)

Thrax, let me put it bluntly

Thank you. The mine/disk was a cheap device that sorely needed to be removed from Tribes forever. Im glad T:V is heading in the right direction.
Also, the elf will not be missed by anyone, good call.

And the burninator sounds like a good idea, but all you would see is defenders spraying the flagstand so any capper would instantly become burninated.... is this something you want?

Fraggy Poo said:
Thrax, let me put it bluntly

Thank you. The mine/disk was a cheap device that sorely needed to be removed from Tribes forever. Im glad T:V is heading in the right direction.
Also, the elf will not be missed by anyone, good call.

And the burninator sounds like a good idea, but all you would see is defenders spraying the flagstand so any capper would instantly become burninated.... is this something you want?

IM gonna miss the ELF but hope for a replacement!

Thrax Panda said:
Zoolooman,

Actually, had it been my decision it would have fallen like the middle one (reactionary), but since the actual decision came from Australia it would be the first option. The only reactionary decision we've had so far was my snap judgement of the Bioderms. Guilty. Removed.
you killed teh space orcs? murderer :(

Fraggy Poo said:

If that's how it works, presumably that IS what they want - otherwise the design is half-assed and they haven't through it through (which I doubt).

I'm now hoping the off-hand grenades have more bite than previous incarnations. I'd quite happily swap a decent disc/timed gren combo for mine-discing, I think.

Wils said:
If you can list more problems other than lack of skill, please do so. If that example was your best, I'd say it was too tenuous to hold water.

Why should I have to suffer a loss because of my teammates bad attempt at grenade-spamming the ld chasing me?

Where is your teammate to pick up the flag after you drop it, anyway? :)

The example I told you happens to me on pubs all the time :)

T:V won't be restricted to competition :)

Killing teammates. This happens just as often as the stray mines. It's really annoying, let me tell you.

A lot of people miss, maybe you're the exception :)

Thrax Panda said:
All packs have two functions. Active and Passive. For the Repair pack, the Passive function is that it slowly repairs the wearer (more slowly than repairing did in T1 or T2). The active function is that it deliverers a finite number of "repair nanites" to everything within range of the wearer. So you'll be able to repair a turret and two buddies at the same time. The active repair is limited. It stops after X amount of repair, and you need to give it another dose to repair more.
Does active increase the self heal rate or just activate a field effect? Does the field effect only repair friendly assets or enemies as well?

Wils said:
If that's how it works, presumably that IS what they want - otherwise the design is half-assed and they haven't through it through (which I doubt).

I'm now hoping the off-hand grenades have more bite than previous incarnations. I'd quite happily swap a decent disc/timed gren combo for mine-discing, I think.
See, and this is why I believe the grenades have a shorter fuse now. It is a nice way to appease both camps.

bobotheclown said:
The example I told you happens to me on pubs all the time :)

T:V won't be restricted to competition :)

Killing teammates. This happens just as often as the stray mines. It's really annoying, let me tell you.

A lot of people miss, maybe you're the exception :)

The example I made happens to me all the time on pubs too (so does the mine thing to be fair, and I'm as guilty of both myself as anyone). My point was kinda that it hasn't turned me against the grenade launcher - it's just a slight tradeoff for what is an otherwise worthwhile addition to the game. You can't help your teammates being stupid, whatever weapons you give them :)

LouCypher said:
Does active increase the self heal rate or just activate a field effect? Does the field effect only repair friendly assets or enemies as well?

I know the answer to half of this. Friendly assets only.

Wils said:
The example I made happens to me all the time on pubs too (so does the mine thing to be fair, and I'm as guilty of both myself as anyone). My point was kinda that it hasn't turned me against the grenade launcher - it's just a slight tradeoff for what is an otherwise worthwhile addition to the game. You can't help your teammates being stupid, whatever weapons you give them :)

Mine-Disk is far more destructable than a Gren. Grens are less predictable and requires some what of an amount of skill to hit a moving target.

I just don't think you can compare a disk+mine combo to a pidly launched grenade:)

bobotheclown said:
Mine-Disk is far more destructable than a Gren. Grens are less predictable and requires some what of an amount of skill to hit a moving target.

I just don't think you can compare a disk+mine combo to a pidly launched grenade:)

I wasn't, I was comparing four to five grenades raining down on my head with a mine lying on the ground waiting for me to step on it even though I can see it coming, but that's lack of objectivism for you ;)

Wils said:
I wasn't, I was comparing four to five grenades raining down on my head with a mine lying on the ground waiting for me to step on it even though I can see it coming, but that's lack of objectivism for you ;)

I think we're both right :)

Back