T:V Elfgun Returns!

I figured why not. The natives are already restless, may as well get a bunch of the vitriol out of their systems all at once, and removing mine disks isn't really something the magazines are going to care about. :shrug: Menzo will probably still shove a hot poker somewhere unpleasant.

No mine-disk! Thank god.

For that, I can let you remove ELF. It'll will live on in a mod, no doubt, it's legacy will be kept alive!!

Hmm, I like how the burnatgriwdj sounds, dmg wise so far, I guess. Need something to go with my disc + laser + ??? combo since SL won't be in this one :p

Hmm. Why remove mine-discing in the first place though?

There must have been some point when you and/or the guys at IG were looking through the features of the existing pair of games and their respective mods, and decided to drop mine-discing as a feature of T:V. What was the reasoning behind this?

You're right that the mortar is a vital part of the whole tribes thing, but couldn't the same argument be made of MDing?

Wils said:

There must have been some point when you and/or the guys at IG were looking through the features of the existing pair of games and their respective mods, and decided to drop mine-discing as a feature of T:V. What was the reasoning behind this?

You're right that the mortar is a vital part of the whole tribes thing, but couldn't the same argument be made of MDing?
A person who has to buy heavy armor and has lower speed because of their added firepower should do more damage. Someone who can move as fast as a light shouldn't have the power to kill another light with one hit.

JodoFett said:
A person who has to buy heavy armor and has lower speed because of their added firepower should do more damage. Someone who can move as fast as a light shouldn't have the power to kill another light with one hit.
SL? = shocklance

*edut*

Wils said:

Where's the skill at in mine-disking? One hit kill, that requires no skill. Your call.

If I had to guess and put them in the best light possible, I'd say:

"Hey, have you thought about how we wanted Tribes fights to be really up close and personal? More so than the last two games?"

"Yeah."

"Well, I was thinking. The mine disc sortof ruins that goal. It ends the close up fights really fast, and scares people from getting in one another's face."

"Yeah, but we need it."

"Well, I'm not so sure about that. I think it'll work fine without it, and here's why..."

If I wanted to paint them in a flightly, short-mannered fashion, I imagine it was something a little like this:

"Mine discing?"
"Don't want it. Chuck it."
"Why?"
*shrugs* "Pisses off too many people, and scares customers away from the game."

If I wanted to paint them in a third cautious way:

"So what about mine discing?"
"We'll put the subject on the backburner until we've decided whether or not we need it."

Months later...

"I don't think we'll need the mine disc."
"Yeah, you're right. Plus, it puts a lot of power in the hands of a light, scares off newbies, and ruins our goal of getting people to fight close to one another."
"Good. So we've decided it has been cut."
"Yep."

bobotheclown said:
Where's the skill at in mine-disking? One hit kill, that requires no skill. Your call.

If mine-discing was as easy as you make out, everyone would do it well, and everyone does not. That said, at least part of the skill lies in avoiding being mine-disced while trying to mine-disc the other guy.

It's just a step on from the basic point-and-fire weapons that make up the meat of the selection, and it adds tension and keeps things moving (there's nothing worse than being bogged down duelling someone in midfield who isn't good enough to kill you but will continue to harrass you until you finish him off).

I'm not saying you have to agree with me at all here btw, which is why I asked Thrax if he could explain why he/they chose not to include it. Not that he's ever answered any of my questions ever :)

Zoolooman,

Actually, had it been my decision it would have fallen like the middle one (reactionary), but since the actual decision came from Australia it would be the first option. The only reactionary decision we've had so far was my snap judgement of the Bioderms. Guilty. Removed.

Thrax Panda said:
Shocklance is out. So is the Elf, the Mine Disk, the (can't)MISSile Launcher, and the Plasma gun. There will be replacements or alternates where appropriate.

shocklance and missile launcher i won't miss.

MD'ing though :( sad to see it go, but life will go on.

the burnator sounds fun though, napalm is always good clean fun

the elf i'll miss also. i had a lot of fun in t1 with that :shrug:

Can you give us any more of a heads up on what other "new" weapons you will be bringing into the game?

Back