[News] T:V News on GameSpot!

cool. The hopefully they will keep thier own memory so the other to states arent exploited.

Edit: Just read Neek's post. If all packs reset to 0 that is seriously gay

Killjoy- said:
Devs:

Since packs now have thier own charge meter, and I am going to assume you can throw/drop packs. What is the default state of a picked up pack.. charged/uncharged/keeps memory ?

If its charged then people will toss and catch thier packs. Uncharged would suck... if every pack on the field kept its memory wouldnt that be a performance hit?

Seems to me, it'd just be a value.. just like any other thing laying in the field (Ammo, guns, armor, etc). A pack will just have a value of how much energy it had, say 5 or watever. It'd be one more "bit" not gonna take much of a hit. :)

Normally I wouldn't expect more than two packs per a person per game tops. Since the default server top size is 32, that's 64 packs. In T1, it took over 200 packs to get those weak servers to hiccup.

So to me, the threat of performance issues only becomes real when the players have a way to spam the packs in huge numbers (which will cause performance problems whether or not more information is stored per pack).

KillerONE said:
Seems to me, it'd just be a value.. just like any other thing laying in the field (Ammo, guns, armor, etc). A pack will just have a value of how much energy it had, say 5 or watever. It'd be one more "bit" not gonna take much of a hit. :)

so If a pack keeps its value that it had when dropped..say 50% or whatever, depending on the TTL of the pack in the field you could charge up a bunch of shield packs and throw them at the HoF's feet...etc.

Sorry for playing devils advocate. I'm just looking for possible holes in this new stuff

Killjoy- said:
cool. The hopefully they will keep thier own memory so the other to states arent exploited.

Edit: Just read Neek's post. If all packs reset to 0 that is seriously gay
Well, they haven't finalised anything yet. We're not even in to public beta yet so :chill:
The problem with keeping the charge in the packs memory is that you could just spam packs everywhere and drop/pickup packs when the charge on yours ran out. That would be very, very bad for the balance. So the packs reset to 0 if they are scavenged. It's a good solution with the possible exception of the repair pack.

We're under the assumption you can spam. In T2, spamming was HARD, and only really possible by jumping up and down on a remote inventory. In T:V, this spamming might not even be possible.

MaD_ReBeL said:
zooloo marweas is also just a talking head :p :heart: alex (meaning he may or may not know exactly wtf he is talking about which is to be expected).

Oh, as much as I hate to say it, it's TRUE.

I sometimes get things wrong, and sometimes screw up communicating the things I do know.

For example:

The epack doesn't make your sniper shots more powerful, it lets you shoot full-power shots more frequently. The e-pack doesn't add to your total energy total, it simply refills it more quickly from its own plant.

The recharge state of a repair pack is my memory of how it currently works in the game. (Too busy now to boot it up and check) but it's not really important because it will probably change.

:heart: MadReb, 4 keepin' it real. :D

Killjoy- said:
so If a pack keeps its value that it had when dropped..say 50% or whatever, depending on the TTL of the pack in the field you could charge up a bunch of shield packs and throw them at the HoF's feet...etc.

Sorry for playing devils advocate. I'm just looking for possible holes in this new stuff

Sure, I was only speculating on the performance of packs laying around. As far as exploiting that fact, seems like it can be done. With a year to go and lots of Beta testing by us. Hopefully things like this will be found and corrected. :)

Zoolooman said:
We're under the assumption you can spam. In T2, spamming was HARD, and only really possible by jumping up and down on a remote inventory. In T:V, this spamming might not even be possible.
Even a slow spam of packs (going to inv, leaving, dropping pack, rinse & repeat) would be a very bad thing. If you make it possible, people will do it. Guarenteed.

Marweas: I realise that nothing is etched in stone at this point.
I just wanted to bring the possible issue with the repair pack to your attention.

It's a pretty tricky balancing act no doubt. Too much pack power, and you have invincible people farting repair nanites everywhere. Too little, and it's too hard to keep a base repaired.
No doubt this little conundrum is not beyond the formidable skills over at Irrational though. :D

Neek said:
Even a slow spam of packs (going to inv, leaving, dropping pack, rinse & repeat) would be a very bad thing. If you make it possible, people will do it. Guarenteed.

Sure, but let's just run some fancy non-existant guess numbers.

Each pack has 20 seconds before it disentigrates, so it must be picked up in 20 seconds. All packs start at 0 charge.

Repair pack recharges in 15 seconds.

It takes 1 second to buy, 1 second to drop.

This makes for a total of 10 packs which can be generated and maintained while other packs in the pile dissapear (15 if you do the run twice and stop every 5 packs to sort the entire pile).

Then you must wear a pack for 15 seconds, drop it, run through all the packs, and then charge the next one.

This assumes two things: packs maintain charge once dropped, and start with 0 charge.

This takes a player two and a half minutes to charge ten packs, not including time spent sorting through them, dropping them again, dropping and sorting after picking up an already charged pack, and all sorts of other time wasting possibilities.

That's two and a half minutes, and the moment he starts fighting, it becomes difficult to utilize all those packs or sort through them before it is too late. Add onto that, you're leaving fully charged repair packs for the enemy HO...

I just don't see the problem unless the enemy team was going to lose anyways. This is all hypothetical of course, but not impossible.

Edit: Anyways, the answer to the "OH GOD REPAIR THE BASE GET THE SPAWNING REPAIR PACK OH SHIT IT HAS NO ENERGY" conundrum is easy. Purchased packs have 0 starting charge like all other packs. Packs that spawn in chosen spawn spots start with half, three quarters, or full charge.

Last edited:
How visible is the unfired Sniper Rifle when fully charged.. I see the "fully open", I'm just wondering if you would be able to see a sniper before he fires. Really depends when/how the animation is triggered I guess. We need movies.

heh that would be kinda cool if there was a red glow or something on a fully charged sniper ... would add to the sphincter factor for cappers as they stare down the barrel of multiple fully charged rifles :D

Yes!
I can see it now, flying in a fair ways off the ground and seeing 2-3 red dots up ahead. It would give the cue to use your e-pack boost anyway.

MaD_ReBeL said:
heh that would be kinda cool if there was a red glow or something on a fully charged sniper ... would add to the sphincter factor for cappers as they stare down the barrel of multiple fully charged rifles :D
And it would make it easier to spot snipers before they get their shot off. Thatd be pretty cool. Anti-sniping es muy fun :)

hey weasel,

say you're going really fast in one direction, and you face the opposite and hit your boost. Will the boost always send you the same speed in that direction, or will your momentum affect the strength of the boost.

Rabid Poop said:
hey weasel,

say you're going really fast in one direction, and you face the opposite and hit your boost. Will the boost always send you the same speed in that direction, or will your momentum affect the strength of the boost.

ves ved

That's an Irrational question.

Marweas said:
Oh, as much as I hate to say it, it's TRUE.

I sometimes get things wrong, and sometimes screw up communicating the things I do know.

For example:

The epack doesn't make your sniper shots more powerful, it lets you shoot full-power shots more frequently. The e-pack doesn't add to your total energy total, it simply refills it more quickly from its own plant.

The recharge state of a repair pack is my memory of how it currently works in the game. (Too busy now to boot it up and check) but it's not really important because it will probably change.

:heart: MadReb, 4 keepin' it real. :D

While it may not provide more "capacity", the epack still givers you more energy because its recharging faster than normal. Jetting longer with one than without is what you get the epack for anyway (& the recharge).

Back