Sniper rifle's suck 50% of the time

Here is a revised idea. Thrax doesn't like it, but i dont care what the old man thinks.

Make the weapon ammo dependent but the ammo recharges automatically when near bases. So.. if you are at your base, you have unlimited ammo because the weapon recharges automatically after each shot. If you are at the enemy base, same thing. If you are out in the boonies, you have 5 shots.. and need to go to a base to recharge. Remote invens dont give you ammo. That way you dont have a bullet/ammo type gun where you need to hit an inventory every few seconds, yet you also dont have a sniper weapon with unlimited ammo. And it even keeps tribes roleplayers fags happy.

Last edited:
I always enjoy a stray sniper who just happens to pull his rifle out while going offense mid fight and uses it kinda short range in a duel.

Locke355: I am posting mine on TW for posterity
Locke355: and insulting you in the process

Thrax: How about if every time you shoot, you have a cloud of pink gas streaming out your ass for 30 seconds. That would be fun!
Locke355: that would be so sweet
Locke355: you shuold have that as an option anyways
Locke355: like.. smoke trail for cappers
Locke355: but it makes your tribes guy sick if he is in it
Locke355: and then he vomits on his visor
Locke355: but sincet he screen is his visor

Thrax: And it will be explosive.
Locke355: the player just sees a ton of throwup in his view
Thrax: Explosive pink gas that makes you vomit.
Locke355: yep
Locke355: make hte game like metroid prime

Thrax: OK. I'll post that.
Locke355: so the visor is like 5 inches from the camera point of view
Locke355: I WNAT CREDIT FOR THE VOMIT IDEA!

BTW, Locke insisted that his text should be pink :shrug:

Last edited:
Kendo said:
I always enjoy a stray sniper who just happens to pull his rifle out while going offense mid fight and uses it kinda short range in a duel.

? I use the rifle in duels all the time.

If you're going to be limiting the location of a weapon exclusivly to D you might as well just cut out the rifle and make it a mounted laser turret.

And I don't think anyone wants to do that.

Sir Lucius said:
If you're going to be limiting the location of a weapon exclusivly to D you might as well just cut out the rifle and make it a mounted laser turret.

And I don't think anyone wants to do that.

now who is suggesting it is limited to just d?

I dont think I will comment on how I think you got from exclusively on d to laser mounted turret being somewhat equal. I am feeling nice today.

Last edited:
I'm just trying to draw in the limitations that you're suggesting putting on the weapon with positional effects.

But yes, I see how a mounted turret is taking it too far.

Fine, make it so you have to plug the stupid thing in...I don't know put in a fucking extention cord.

Is there any basis for grappling hooks claims, besides just wishful thinking? It will be sweet if they pull it off right...

Sir Lucius said:
I'm just trying to draw in the limitations that you're suggesting putting on the weapon with positional effects.

But yes, I see how a mounted turret is taking it too far.

Fine, make it so you have to plug the stupid thing in...I don't know put in a fucking extention cord.

I am trying to keep the weapon relatively useless in the boonies. I love using the rifle, and i used to use it all the time while at the enemy base, and while on offense. I just didn't use it with 20x zoom from a hill that no one could see. My attempt (by making it work around bases for ammo regen [note that means enemy bases too]) is to remove the people who sit out in nowheresville and snipe for 25 minutes. With limited ammo out there, they can't do that and at the VERY LEAST have to run to some form of base to get ammo, where you can kill them or they burn time.

Well, from what I get from this thread; I'd like everyone to realize that there is no point in using words that require a frame of reference, such as 'sucks, great, good etc' mainly because the statement would need a reference to other weapons in the game itself in order to be on target.

Locke355 said:
I am trying to keep the weapon relatively useless in the boonies. I love using the rifle, and i used to use it all the time while at the enemy base, and while on offense. I just didn't use it with 20x zoom from a hill that no one could see. My attempt (by making it work around bases for ammo regen [note that means enemy bases too]) is to remove the people who sit out in nowheresville and snipe for 25 minutes. With limited ammo out there, they can't do that and at the VERY LEAST have to run to some form of base to get ammo, where you can kill them or they burn time.

Why not just ban them?

Last edited:
lets just make it so that once u past midfield the laser rifle automatically turns into a blaster

in reality the best thing you can do is, as was mentioned, have some kind of positional give-away for someone using the laser rifle. That won't really hurt people on defense cuz they're not trying to hide anyway. In fact, lets make all sniper rifles emmit bands of white light (a la when a turret is destroyed), and that way we always know who has a rifle out!

no wait, i have a better idea, lets just employ HaPpY to the dev team since we've already implimented half of his ideas.

Eh, I'm not fond of all the positional stuff being suggested. I think if the laser rifle has a faint laser sight whenever it is being aimed, defensive snipers can take care of the o-sniper even before he gets a shot off.

Back