Sniper rifle's suck 50% of the time

Gundamflare said:
Don't take out a weapon because anyone feels that gamers might 'abuse' the weapon, take it out for a just reason, such as overempowerment, derailed story line etc.
Who said anything about taking it out? I just said it sucks 50% of the time. Plus I love to chain whore and if the sniper rifle were gone people would start to pick on the CW's more. ;)

Well, it all depends on the person. if you have a good sniper, it's almost a sure thing that you'l be sniped. however, it also depends on the capper/LO/whatever to dodge. in t1 you have more sideways movement, and if you see the sniper aiming at you, you have a better chance then with t2, whereas there it's really more like- Get the flag at mach 3, at the cost of any mobility at all.

TeckMan said:
Even in #1 matches few players are REALLY REALLY playing to win. Doing everything in their power to kill their opponent no matter how "cheap".
No, you're absolutely right. That's why I said that OOB and O-Sniping are legit tactics. In competition you do whatever to win. Smack talking, O-Sniping, base trashing, whatever. Just win. But that doesn't make it cool in a pub environment. Spawn-camping in a match is fine. In a pub it bush league.

Thrax Panda said:
No, you're absolutely right. That's why I said that OOB and O-Sniping are legit tactics. In competition you do whatever to win. Smack talking, O-Sniping, base trashing, whatever. Just win. But that doesn't make it cool in a pub environment. Spawn-camping in a match is fine. In a pub it bush league.

Honestly thrax, I don't think pub play should be focused on this much, if at all. Regardless of how fun you make the pub, a match play/environment will be 10x more fun. If focus is on pub play, competition will lack, regardless of how much you can guarantee, it's a given.

How about a new boundary line, a cirle around your base that only snipers may stay in and if they leave it they cant snipe.

To me that would be kinda stupid all the time, but you could make this a server option.

Turn on/off depending on what the players are doing. If there's too much OOB and Camping snipers, just turn on "base proximity sniping" and the boundary is activated.

Whatever happens, I dont really mind. Spam is spam, OOB sniping is what it is. It doesnt make me that mad.

There are several balancing options worth considering when talking about the sniper rifle.

1. Very long reload time.
2. Ammo based, since it's a laser, let's say it uses energy cells that die out or some other limited power supply.
3. Lower damage value or change the type of damage it does. Perhaps a long range poker, it doesn't hurt you but will knock your ass off of your ski route or some other such annoyance.
4. It can misfire, killing it's user. :shinner:

ZOD said:
There are several balancing options worth considering when talking about the sniper rifle.

1. Very long reload time.
2. Ammo based, since it's a laser, let's say it uses energy cells that die out or some other limited power supply.
3. Lower damage value or change the type of damage it does. Perhaps a long range poker, it doesn't hurt you but will knock your ass off of your ski route or some other such annoyance.
4. It can misfire, killing it's user. :shinner:

If you're going to have 1 and 2, you should make it a one hit kill, maybe something along the lines of "the closer the target, the less damage the laser rifle does"? and 4...well 4 adds for randomness which is just...gay.

As long as we're just throwing down ideas:

Allow users to determine how much power they want to put into the rifle. Such that you hold down the fire button and it drains your energy until you let go, and fires off at that power. Personally, I don't know if I even like that idea.

O-sniping in pubs isn't that bad. Sure maybe 1 guy every few maps, at least ont eh servers I play on. If any of these changes are made it makes the sniper almost useless. Sometimes the sniper is the last person that can hit the capper since any good capper is moving at a pretty fast speed so then no one can catch him and he has an easy cap. It is easy enough to cap it doesn't need to be any easier. Right now if snipers get in a duel and they miss that 1 shot while that person is flying close to them they are fucked.

There's a lot of different ways to make the gun more difficult to use.

1. Use Hitman2 method where you have to keep the gun still for a certain amount of time in order to have the best shot.

2. Limit how far the gun should snipe at

3. Add weight to the gun so that you can't catch up to the capper etc.

4. Add damage areas to the body. E.g. headshot is instant kill while an arm might only do minor damage

5. Leave a blast line where the gun shot

6. Even better, have a program part of the HUD that will track and add areas where the shot *might* have been fired at for those that saw the shot.

Anyway, IMO the 1st idea would probably be the best. It would add a lot of skill to the gun where you couldn't run from one area to another and continue sniping at that very second.

If a single one of those ideas was implemented, you wouldn't see me using the laser rifle. It simply wouldn't be worth doing so considering it isn't a one hit kill and it drains all my energy. Any other detriments alongside these and I wouldn't touch it.

The only value that can be effectively changed is the damage per energy and the total damage dealt at full.

Why not make the laserrifle do NO damage but instead it would stop the person who it hit dead, and then applies the victim's momentum to an impulse given to the player who fired the gun. So like if the sniper hit a ho travelling towards it it would fling the sniper back with a huge amount of momentum, possibly killing it by hitting an object.

Sir Lucius said:
As long as we're just throwing down ideas:

Allow users to determine how much power they want to put into the rifle. Such that you hold down the fire button and it drains your energy until you let go, and fires off at that power. Personally, I don't know if I even like that idea.

hmm, that's a pretty good idea actually. I mean, as it is now , it drains almost all your energy, so it wouldn't be much different i guess on full power.....that would also create extra "holding button" time which may screw up your jetting/skiing......something to think about anyway.

or why not make the sniperrifle do 25% of teh damage it does to the victim, to the person who fired it.. so like if a sniper hits a snipe and takes teh victim down 50% of their health.. the sniper would lose 12.5% of it's health

I was also considering the 'charge' on the sniper rifle, so you'd have to hold it down to put energy in it. This keeps it simple and prevents someone from just whipping out the sniper rifle and getting a quick shot off, which isn't really how sniper rifles are meant to be used.

I actually find snipers to be more of a non-issue than many other things in T2 with a competent team. O sniping is not as effective as SJ in T2, and was never really an option except possibly for a few maps in T1. Sniping defense was crazy in T1 because it was generally pretty easy to snipe. Sniping in T2 is pretty solid, but not as easy as T1 due to T2 having some funky netcode at times.

The rifle in general sucks for stopping cappers and is a last resort though, as you generally shoot when you are in front of a incoming capper or way behind them. If you are way behind them it is tough to return on your own. If you are in front of them it is very effective.

You can dramatically reduce the rifles effectiveness by increasing the ability of a capper (mainly light -- in T2 sniping a medium capper is worthless) to manuever in mid-air.

I always thought that a jet with a double tap "dodge" manuever, in mid-air would be neat. Such that you boost to one side quickly but loose more energy than a normal side jet, so that you could dodge to one side or the other at the apex of your flight.

Gundamflare said:
Honestly thrax, I don't think pub play should be focused on this much, if at all. Regardless of how fun you make the pub, a match play/environment will be 10x more fun. If focus is on pub play, competition will lack, regardless of how much you can guarantee, it's a given.
You're right. I should ignore 95% of my users in favor of the loud 5%. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Back