Do NOT like the game

Well, I always liked (and still do) Tribes I the best, as movement was very fluidic. You actually felt in control. Tribes 2 never felt the same to me...

Tribes 2 had alot of great innovations, but I could never get past the issue that the movement didn't feel right, and the character model felt - well - too big...

I have played UT2004, and I really do like the engine - it has a good feel to it - though I must agree that the vehicles don't feel like Tribes vehicles, and for a very good reason...

Tribes I engine was based on a flight simulator (called Pro Pilot, I think), which is why the vehicles seem to feel right when flying, and why the air packs feel comfortable to what physics we would expect from them.

Skiing was an accidental creation, to simulate the effects of gravity and inertia. Tribes I was most liked for this bug (for lack of a better name to call it). In Tribes 2, they tried to tame this bug, first by making it more difficult to do so, and then by making maps less friendly to skiers...

For those that disagree with that last comment, load up a typical Tribes I map and a typical Tribes 2 map. On the Tribes I map, you will see mostly flowing hills, whereas the Tribes 2 terrain is very rocky and edgy. Tribes 2 terrain is more realistic, but this realism slows down skiing a bit.

So I'm one of those Tribes I punks who wanted to ski 500 miles an hour past the flag? No, not really, but I also didn't want to be skiing with an anchor in my pants, and slowing down for each bump I hit along the way.

I watched the whole Tribes I vs. Tribes 2 debate unfold, and I can dumb it down to it's basic form.

Tribes I fans wanted a game that favored offense, and Tribes 2 players wanted a game that favored defense. Balancing the game would probably tick off both sides, so I would invite a game that Tribes I players and Tribes 2 players are uncertain of - as I could then guess it's because they have achieved balance.

UNDERSTAND THIS.... Balance in a capture the flag type game is EXTREMELY difficult to achieve.

If a game always ends because the scoring objective is hit, then the game is too offensively oriented.

If a game always ends with a real low score and the scoring objective never reached, then the game is too defensively oriented.

For a game to achieve balance, sometimes the game must end quickly with a high score, and sometimes the game must drag out with a low score. This would mean that the players determine the outcome, and not the game.

If Tribes:V achieves such a balance, then I think all players will embrace it quickly. If not, then it will be adopted by the Tribes I camp or the Tribes 2 camp - whichever it favors.

I will say one thing - it appears that the same amount of players are still playing Tribes 2 as are playing Tribes I. In gaming years, Tribes I is REALLY old - so it has to have more going for it than just being a great game - and it does - it's community screen.

In Tribes 2, it was difficult at times to find your friends online - in Tribes I, this was never a problem. Also, player chat seemed much simpler in Tribes I - why, I don't know.

Give players an avenue to quickly find each other online, and allow them a simple means to communicate, and Tribes:V will be a huge success.

Developers, take heed to that last sentence, as this is the reason why Tribes players form long living communities, while other game playing communities fizzle after the initial excitement of the game is over...

Look he isn't right, nor is he wrong! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and that should always be respected. Because someone doesn't like certain aspects , is fine with me, i'm not him.

I look at Tribes Vengeance, not as T1 or T2 but as it's self, a new game, it's own entity. I played Tribes 1 and Tribes 2 into the ground , trust like you all did. Comparing TV to T1 and T2 is down right wrong, but we do it anyways. Tribes Vengeance has some very good new fresh ideas going for it and you all should give it a chance. After all it's not T1 or T2!

We learned to like them both which i still play, actually a bit more T1 coz T2 is like desolate ( Renegades anyways ) But i like Tribes Vengeance and i think it can be a great game. We'll see! --Fatal

Back