[News] T:V News on GameSpot!

Xapz said:
but by the same token, would you want one guy to be able to go to the inven, hit his alternate pack key, go to inven, hit alt key again... etc. Or would you want the heal over time to happen?

what, you mean exactly like you can do in T1 and T2, but with repair kits? (granted you wouldn't be repairing shit surrounding you in T1 or T2)

My concern is that it will be harder to recover a raped base because of the change to the rep pack. Really though, i have no idea because i haven't been able to play with it yet, and really don't understand how the pack works yet.

Another potential exploit if the packs started with full energy would be chucking a bunch, then picking up, using and dropping them later. Think SH, and you have like 4 rep packs sitting by the gens at full charge. you lose the gens and inv's, but don't die and kill the HO. you can get the gens back up in a flash just but touching, using and chucking those 4 packs on the ground.

another idea might be that if a pack isn't attached to armor then it's charge degrades.

again :shrug:. it'll be fun to play with in beta.

MaD_ReBeL said:
i dont think so, not for a fully charged shot anyways. damage over time you would though since your energy bar fills up faster allowing you to fire more fully charged shots in a shorter period of time.

Actually, I think so.

Marweas said that it drains the jetpack energy and the energy pack energy bar at the same time, providing for a full shot. To me, this sounds like it is using even more energy than normal, hence more damage.

Unless of course, it is merely draining the energy pack energy for no reason, which makes sniping with an energy pack a not so hot idea.

Neek said:
This is why i suggested that the pack energy be unique to the player. A newly spawned player would have full pack energy, but no pack. If they were to get a rep pack they would be able to use it right away, but they would lose the pack energy they used untill they died.
If they switched packs with half pack energy, that energy would be transferred to the next pack they pick up to prevent gaining an advantage by picking up scavenged packs. Of course, you could still exploit this if the recharge rate of the packs is different, so you have to have the same recharge rate for all packs. Which kinda sucks.

I think i misread your suggestion, or missed it in it completely. This is also a very viable option IMO. even if the epack's recharge rate was a bit higher than that of the other packs it might well be too much of a pain in the ass to try to exploit pack switching to speed repairs anyway. It would depend on what the numbers were.

I might argue that if the pack energy were part of the armor, than it SHOULD be ok to pack switch like that to get more energy to repair quicker.

I don't think all the weapons should be designed to encourage chasing as mentioned earlier. The appealing thing in tribes for many people was the amount of positions you can play. Dont ever expect a competetive game in a pub like you would in a match. There's always going to be a few who won't want to play that way.

Even I on occasions have decided to detach myself from the main objective of CTF on public servers and do my own thing. It's what people like, freedom ;)

apologies if i missed your point :)

Ok i could see switching to a different pack to increase recharge as a legitimate tactic. Just so long as it doesn't give too much of an advantage...
Really, it all comes down to the repair pack, i guess. The rest of the packs are not a problem if they reset to 0 when you pick them up, but then they all apear to have a state that consumes suit energy as well as pack energy while the new rep pack does not.
I think this may be the root of the problem.
The repair pack needs some way to be used in conjunction with suit energy so you don't have to wait around to repair stuff in desperate situations.
Maybe if the repair pack had a weak version of the old repair gun that could be equipped as a weapon so you could at least do something while the pack energy replenished?

what if your team mates could use some of their energy to charge up your repair pack :eek:

but thier current pack energy cannot be transferred if they swap to the repair pack themselves.

neato ;)

The thing is... I really love the nanite cloud repair pack idea.
I don't like the idea of nerfing it at all, but it think it needs some balance (in theory anyway. I can't really know if I haven't played the game)
For all I know, the waiting to recharge may actually enhance the strategy in the game. :shrug:

It just makes me kinda nervous when you can't repair stuff right away.

Zoolooman said:
Actually, I think so.

Marweas said that it drains the jetpack energy and the energy pack energy bar at the same time, providing for a full shot. To me, this sounds like it is using even more energy than normal, hence more damage.

Unless of course, it is merely draining the energy pack energy for no reason, which makes sniping with an energy pack a not so hot idea.
i think the pack energy and armor energy are mutually exclusive i believe.

MaD_ReBeL said:
i think the pack energy and armor energy are mutually exclusive i believe.

Right, except Mar said this, to you!

Marweas
Weasel²
Contributor

85 - Posted 12-04-2003 07:29 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by MaD_ReBeL
let me see if i get this straight in theory i could snipe you, then instantly drain my energypack for the direction changing boost for a quick direction change/get away?

My understanding is that your sniper shot would drain your epack of energy as well as your armor (providing max damage) leaving you nothing for a boost.

AFAIK, there's no way to use less than all of your energy in a shot.

You guys raise a lot of interesting points, that I'm really looking forward to seeing in beta.

The biggest balancing issue is getting everything in the game. All the current settings in the game are pretty much placeholder until we see how everything plays together, so don't get overly attached to how one thing works. It's all still being built and anything and everything may yet change.

Fraggy Poo said:
So there is no other way to repair your invs and gens unless you use a fully charged nanite burst?
I think you may be able to use a partially charged nanite burst, but the effect will be lessened.
Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill here. It could be balanced nicely for all I know. :shrug:

What I do know, is that getting people to repair stuff can be a chore already. Making them wait to be able to repair stuff effectively could make the problem worse.
I just had to bring my concerns into the light so i could sleep peacefully at night. :)
We need more answers.

Neek said:
I think you may be able to use a partially charged nanite burst, but the effect will be lessened.
Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill here. It could be balanced nicely for all I know. :shrug:

What I do know, is that getting people to repair stuff can be a chore already. Making them wait to be able to repair stuff effectively could make the problem worse.
I just had to bring my concerns into the light so i could sleep peacefully at night. :)
We need more answers.

if standing in an INV or at a Remote INV rapidly recharged Armor energy and pack energy I don't see a major issue

Marweas said:
You guys raise a lot of interesting points, that I'm really looking forward to seeing in beta.

The biggest balancing issue is getting everything in the game. All the current settings in the game are pretty much placeholder until we see how everything plays together, so don't get overly attached to how one thing works. It's all still being built and anything and everything may yet change.
Fair 'nuff.
I think it goes without saying that my saliva glands are working in overdrive in anticipation of the beta, and I'll try my best to give whatever input i can when it comes.
Any way you guys could provide free TW bibs for the big day? ;)

zooloo marweas is also just a talking head :p :heart: alex (meaning he may or may not know exactly wtf he is talking about which is to be expected). i would find it hard to believe that the epack would give you MORE energy ontop of your exsisting energy. i also find it hard to believe that a weapon would discharge what seems to be a pack only energy system.

i mean im all for energy pack making the sniper rifle more powerful that will make me that much more deadly. but it wouldnt be balanced IMO. plus what youre saying would in theory also add to a cappers total energy right? that wouldnt be balanced.

Last edited:
Killjoy- said:
if standing in an INV or at a Remote INV rapidly recharged Armor energy and pack energy I don't see a major issue
Yeah... but that's kinda moot in a situation where your gens and invs are blown up. That's when you need the rep pack the most.

Devs:

Since packs now have thier own charge meter, and I am going to assume you can throw/drop packs. What is the default state of a picked up pack.. charged/uncharged/keeps memory ?

If its charged then people will toss and catch thier packs. Uncharged would suck... if every pack on the field kept its memory wouldnt that be a performance hit?

Last edited:
Probably not really Killjoy. It is just one variable (how much energy) more per a pack. It won't likely make much more problem than if people spammed them all over the place anyways. Too many objects is too many objects, no matter what they're doing.

Killjoy- said:
since packs now have thier own charge meter, and I am going to assume you can throw/drop packs. What is the default state of a picked up pack.. charged/uncharged/keeps memory ?

If its charged then people will toss and catch thier packs. Uncharged would suck... if every pack on the field kept its memory wouldnt that be a performance hit?
Yeah that's what i was thinking. Too many packs= performance hit.
Maybe.

Marweas already said that the packs reset to 0 charge when they are picked up. Which I was saying could be a problem when it comes to the repair pack. Read back a couple pages.

Back