Recount's "DPS"

It's an addon. I've never installed it so I don't know exactly how they relate to each other. I'm at 3199 on W-H, but I know it's over 5k from the addon.

I don't think it's an addon, I think it was part of the 3.3 patch due to the fact it actually restricts players from being able to do some instances using RDF or queueing up manually. Blizzards way of preventing 80s in all greens from getting into heroics like FoS and the like.

Gear score is a bad way to determine whether a player is skilled or not. Manually inspecting ftw. I'm still sporting DMC:G as one trinket on my warr because it's still awesome and DC/DBW/WFS haven't dropped for met yet. OMFG IM A FUCKIN NOOB LOL ILVL 200!!!

It pisses me off that I've got a hunter alt with the Ony 25 and Twins/Anub 25 achieve, but I still get rejected from pugs because I have 'bad' gear. I'll admit it's not that great but I've got the achievements and I never do or die to stupid shit.
I'm gonna have to start the pugs myself and make a blacklist of people who rejected me. How the fuck are you supposed to gear up if you can't get into pug raids? Goddamn retards.

/rant

I don't think it's an addon, I think it was part of the 3.3 patch due to the fact it actually restricts players from being able to do some instances using RDF or queueing up manually. Blizzards way of preventing 80s in all greens from getting into heroics like FoS and the like.
It's an addon. The game does have a hidden implementation that restricts the LFD tool, but as far as I'm aware, it's numbers/restrictions are not exposed in the API anywhere.

I don't know why people get so pissed off that gear score exists, nobody said that it is a number that shows skill level, it is a quick reference to know the level of gear people have, you know what sucked more then gear score? Having to armory and inspect every pug that wanted to fill a spot in a raid to know if they are using mostly quest blues and greens before tossing them a invite.

Gear Score and the gear level the LFG system uses are easy to fool, Mossy (stk player) just hit 80 last night on his lock and couldn't get in any of the new heroics or H ToC. When he did get in a heroic he won a greed roll (no enchanter) for a melee dps ring, when he equips that it opens up more of the heroics and his gear score goes up even though it does nothing for his class. We talked about how on the paly I could have a mixed set of plate, leather, mail and cloth that is just to get the boost my gear score so I can get into pug raids, and of course that wouldn't mean anything because even if nobody noticed and I put on all my DPS gear they would notice my lower DPS on the meters.

I don't run with my dps meters open all the time, I check them at the end, or I might check when I notice things are dying fast or slow to see what is going on and who is pulling their weight. I can mouse over the people in the team see their gear score and know what they should be doing for damage, healing or how well geared the tank is, I have never thought about kicking somebody for a low gear score, it is the people that have good gear and are large numbers below where they should be that was start kick votes.

It's an addon. The game does have a hidden implementation that restricts the LFD tool, but as far as I'm aware, it's numbers/restrictions are not exposed in the API anywhere.

Supposedly the hidden restriction isn't particularly high and is just to keep people in questing greens from ending up in H HoR and such when they do the random daily because it would be frustrating for both parties. I believe there's no restriction if you want to just queue just for those instances since it's really just there to prevent it from being beyond your control.

I don't know why people get so pissed off that gear score exists, nobody said that it is a number that shows skill level
There are a lot of people that thing they're correlated.
Gear Score and the gear level the LFG system uses are easy to fool, Mossy (stk player) just hit 80 last night on his lock and couldn't get in any of the new heroics or H ToC. When he did get in a heroic he won a greed roll (no enchanter) for a melee dps ring, when he equips that it opens up more of the heroics and his gear score goes up even though it does nothing for his class. We talked about how on the paly I could have a mixed set of plate, leather, mail and cloth that is just to get the boost my gear score so I can get into pug raids, and of course that wouldn't mean anything because even if nobody noticed and I put on all my DPS gear they would notice my lower DPS on the meters.
The thing you're missing is that the opposite is true as well. Equipping a lower item level item is often better than a higher level item.

Supposedly the hidden restriction isn't particularly high and is just to keep people in questing greens from ending up in H HoR and such when they do the random daily because it would be frustrating for both parties. I believe there's no restriction if you want to just queue just for those instances since it's really just there to prevent it from being beyond your control.
You can't manually queue for it either. I had to loot some random shit on my druid before it would let me because I was still using some greens.

The thing you're missing is that the opposite is true as well. Equipping a lower item level item is often better than a higher level item.

No I didn't miss that, I gave a simple example of how the gear score and the LFG gear check are flawed. I know that having this trinket Abyssal Rune - Item - World of Warcraft is great for me, but it has a low gear score, also if I was raiding there are a bunch of better options out there that would have higher gear score.

Gear score just helps give a quick idea if the person raiding, just runs heroics or is a new 80, then you have to see the play and/or do a inspect to see if they understand their class and spec.

I believe there's no restriction if you want to just queue just for those instances since it's really just there to prevent it from being beyond your control.
It probably shares the same system as the new LFR tool, and if the game determines your gear isn't good enough for something like ICC 10 then you can't even queue for it. You'll just get a padlock icon like you're saved when you're not.

MMO-Champion had a writeup on Elitist Group so I installed it.

It doesn't give a somewhat meaningless single score for a player, it's a good way to see an overview of someone's gear levels and if they're enchanted/gemmed properly and have the experience (at least on the toon they're playing) with the fights they should know to PUG raid.

MMO-Champion had a writeup on Elitist Group so I installed it.

It doesn't give a somewhat meaningless single score for a player, it's a good way to see an overview of someone's gear levels and if they're enchanted/gemmed properly and have the experience (at least on the toon they're playing) with the fights they should know to PUG raid.

It looks like it would help with pug raids, more useful now with the weekly raid quest.

Back