Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > World of Warcraft
Reload this Page Recount's "DPS"
Page 1 of 6
FalseMyrmidon
1700+
Old
1 - 01-07-2010, 06:36
I wish they would just remove it so people would stop going by it. It's woefully inaccurate and trying to explain this to other people is painful.

Sponsored Links
Osiris
VeteranXV
Old
2 - 01-07-2010, 07:49
It's really not that inaccurate. It's usually about 100-300 dps off from WoL.

Tekno
VeteranXX
Old
3 - 01-07-2010, 08:47
what addons are used to record and upload parses to these sites anyways?

Osiris
VeteranXV
Old
4 - 01-07-2010, 08:51
LoggerHead addon for WoW.

Most log sites have a java client on their webpage like
World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis which is considered to be the best one out there.

Just make sure you delete your combat log after every raid you log. Having a 2gig .txt file sucks ass.

Tekno
VeteranXX
Old
5 - 01-07-2010, 09:08
ah kk thanks.

Smaqaho
VeteranXV
Old
6 - 01-07-2010, 11:36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
It's really not that inaccurate. It's usually about 100-300 dps off from WoL.
Not that I've used WoL or WWS in months, but it was always within 200dps of recount, often within 25.

PessimiStick
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
7 - 01-07-2010, 12:14
Depends on your spec. It's never off by more than a couple percent in any case.

TeckMan
VeteranXV
Old
8 - 01-07-2010, 14:15
I assumed OP was talking about DPS vs Damage Done

FalseMyrmidon
1700+
Old
9 - 01-07-2010, 15:21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeckMan View Post
I assumed OP was talking about DPS vs Damage Done
Yes. The issue I have with Recount's DPS is that it activity into account for calculations. So if someone is dicking half the time (or whatever bads do when they're not actually DPSing) it doesn't count against the "DPS" according to recount. This leads to situations where people can have higher DPS than people that actually do more damage and some are too stupid to understand that DPS is an arbitrary measurement and what matters is damage done. There are also many different ways to calculate "DPS" which is what makes it arbitrary. The arbitrary "DPS" number doesn't kill things, Damage Done does.

Cliffs: DPS is stupid, use Damage Done.

Edit: I'm going to start outputting activity %s from Recount instead of Damage Meters since that's usually why people suck (they spend half the time with their thumb up their ass).

Last edited by FalseMyrmidon; 01-07-2010 at 15:24..
PessimiStick
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
10 - 01-07-2010, 15:24
Damage Done compares people in the same raid.

DPS compares people across different raids.

Anyone that uses them in some other manner is an idiot, and you should just remove them.

FalseMyrmidon
1700+
Old
11 - 01-07-2010, 16:35
World of Warcraft - English (NA) Forums -> New GearScore / Recount Mode

Speaking of arbitrary numbers that mean nothing.

1slob18c1
VeteranX
Old
12 - 01-07-2010, 16:58
^^ Looks fine to me? Not sure what the 69, 67 numbers mean, I assume combat time? If so, that makes sense

Smaqaho
VeteranXV
Old
13 - 01-07-2010, 17:12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slob18c1 View Post
^^ Looks fine to me? Not sure what the 69, 67 numbers mean, I assume combat time? If so, that makes sense
Quote:
Originally Posted by The link he posted
So basically it is just doing the ratio of DPS to GearScore, but I've multiplied it by 100 to make the numbers easier to see.

So Forsakenmage and Kaderly have about the same Performance/GearScore and one could assume they are on about an equal playing field skill wise despite the 600+ difference in GearScore.

Khazrah is the tank.
And Leeroybrown is just terrible.
Arxkanite (Myself) is a healer.

Its a great tool to find the players with 5.2k GearScore that pull their weight. GearScore is a measure of a player's maximum potential to perform. It is up to that player's skill to meet that potential. This new mode shows you how much potential a player is using.
Not too bad, but performing up to the level of your gear depends on how good the tank is, how fast pulls are coming in and other factors. I really don't think I need another addon to do what recount already does, and I have no clue what gearscore means or how to read it. Our server relies on wow-heroes quite a bit, but most of the people I play with or talk to don't use either one and fill up based on friends lists and basic stats rather than external websites or mods.

edit: as a shadowpriest I'd probably show up as being terrible since my uptime is 100% so my DPS won't be inflated by all of the lacks in damage done, whereas on a cleavespec warrior or ret paladin this **** will go straight to the heads of people because there's no setup time to do damage. Looking at recount now I'll outdamage all but a couple good players, but my DPS is well below that of, say, a boomkin simply because of the difference in how the two are played.

Last edited by Smaqaho; 01-07-2010 at 17:19..
PessimiStick
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
14 - 01-07-2010, 17:39
I should get that just so I can be over 100 all the time.

zeph
VeteranXV
Old
15 - 01-07-2010, 19:09
That's a pretty cool addon, I think I will dl it so I can talk more **** to random bads.

TeckMan
VeteranXV
Old
16 - 01-07-2010, 21:37
gear score does not take into account how good someone's gear actually is. It is just weighted average item level. I have 5733 GS but I guarantee I could do more DPS if I could take my pick of any items in the game while keeping my GS below 5500. Item level isn't everything. It especially doesn't place enough value on trinkets which should be weighted almost as highly as your weapon but are currently valued only as highly as a ring.

Shopper47
VeteranX
Old
17 - 01-07-2010, 22:56
People need to learn to kick bads not kick based on any stats. You could be in all early uld gear and still hit 5,6,7k as a mut rogue, or be in full 245 minimum as an enh sham and never break 4500.

Gearscore is brutal. It just promotes elitist idiots who don't know what they are talking about to wave another number in your face while they pretend to know your class better than you do.

Calamari
VeteranXV
Old
18 - 01-08-2010, 09:30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemomma5000 View Post
People need to learn to kick bads not kick based on any stats. You could be in all early uld gear and still hit 5,6,7k as a mut rogue, or be in full 245 minimum as an enh sham and never break 4500.

Gearscore is brutal. It just promotes elitist idiots who don't know what they are talking about to wave another number in your face while they pretend to know your class better than you do.
QFT. I got ripped my first pass in (non-Heroic!!) HoR because at the time, my DK had a Gearscore of something like 3500. Still out-DPSed everyone in the group (at a lowly 2800 DPS). *shrug*

If you know your roll, you can do fine. If you suck, you suck no matter how good your gear is.

KI
VeteranXV
Old
19 - 01-08-2010, 10:08
Yep, a keen example would be feral druids wrt gearscore vs. dps.. Blizzard is trying to move feral away from the tier 8-.5 happiness to mediocre set bonus' and lackluster stat additions.

1slob18c1
VeteranX
Old
20 - 01-08-2010, 11:58
Gear scores are irrelevant because it doesn't take into account stupidity and playability. They are also not relevant to one another from one site to another. Where a 5500 is spectacular on one site, it's complete **** on another.

I usually just ask for the achievements, and if the person has it...I invite them. I've found this is the best way to get groups. Asking for GS numbers is like comparing dicks online..and I say no homo

Page 1 of 6

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > World of Warcraft
Reload this Page Recount's "DPS"

Social Website Bullshit