[So] My corp found an exploitable bug, and it was awesome. by LoH - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > The Archives > Eve Online
Reload this Page [So] My corp found an exploitable bug, and it was awesome.
LoH
Veteran++
Old
1 - 02-26-2010, 11:35
My corp (Aperture Harmonics [AHARM]) is primarily a wormhole-living corporation. Through some careful planning and some badass software tools, we're making ISK and ruining people's days in deep WH space.

We came across one of the more interesting environmental effects - Magnetars.

Magnetar systems have the following effects:
Increased damage (double at the highest level)
Decreased tracking (halved at the highest level)
More effective EWAR (double at the highest level), includes remote sensor boosters and target painters
Decreased targeting range (halved at the highest level)

The Magnetar system we found has been classified as as "C6" - the deepest-level effects.

The double EWAR effect seemed to be calculated funny -- it was a straight numerical change of the existing strength. So 50% effectiveness EWAR became 100%, and 60% became 120%.

Corpmate was playing around with remote sensor dampeners and discovered that you could, indeed, sensor dampen someone into negative numbers (targeting range) with target range dampening. They then flipped to scan resolution dampening and found something very interesting - the target instantly locked anything within its targeting range. Carriers could instalock frigates.

He tried it with a couple other kinds of EWAR... specifically turret disruptors, and found that if you tracking disrupted someone to below 100%, they started doing the same level of damage to a target per-gun (but only if the weapons were ungrouped--grouped weapons did paper damage for one gun), basically the paper DPS or "EFT" DPS. From any range. One pilgrim could do the effect with a single T2 turret disruptor, any other ship could do it with T2 disruptors, a rig, and good skills.

Asked a GM, and the GM said it was fine (pretty sure they only asked about the sensor-booster related effects). We abused the hell out of it on Sleepers, never got to use it in PVP.

Eventually (after 3-4 weeks), someone in the corp blathered about it on SHC and another ruling was made -- it was an exploit. Nobody in the corp was banhammered.

That meant I finally got to file a bugreport... and that we can't use those modules until they actually fix the damn things.

Quote:
Hello LoH,
Thank you for your bugreport - ID##### Title: Improperly calculated wormhole effects.
We were not aware of this problem, and have used your bugreport to create a new issue in our defect tracking system.

The BugHunter Team

Report ID: 92007
Title: Improperly calculated wormhole effects.

Description: In systems such as Magnetars (with a 100% increase to most forms of ewar), a raw effect of 50% or higher is doubled and renders target ships into negative stats. With turret disruptors and sensor dampeners, the effect is opposite. If someone´s tracking is damped below 100%, the gun instantly does "average" hit damage, but only if the guns are ungrouped (they do the average damage of a single gun if grouped). Every time, from any range. If sensor dampened to negative scan resolution, that ship´s tracking becomes

Reproduction Steps: Jump into any magnetar system with bonusing effects above double (such as locus signature J105934). Target another ship and turret disrupt it. A Pilgrim/Curse with a Tech II Turret Disruptor is enough, if scripted. Have that ship fire at a target within its locking range with a turret. For sensor dampeners, repeat the above setup for a pre-system value of over 100% (scripted for scan resolution). Target another ship. Have that ship target something else.

0 file(s) attached to this report.
EDIT: This effect can be noticed in logs from the "100km away and doing damage with blasters WTF" side and the fact that each gun is doing identical damage every shot.

Last edited by LoH; 02-26-2010 at 11:38..
Sponsored Links
ViRGE
VeteranXX
Old
2 - 03-01-2010, 06:05
I'm not surprised the GMs brushed you off. EVE has always been a game where it's to your advantage to break the game until the GMs tell you to knock it off.

It certainly sounds like an interesting exploit - being able to instalock any rats and hit them for full damage would have its advantages. It's a shame you couldn't use it to completely lock out the rats from targeting you though.

The Greatest
VeteranXV
Old
3 - 09-17-2010, 23:21
this thread seems suddenly relevant. so how is the fight with r&k going?

ViRGE
VeteranXX
Old
4 - 09-18-2010, 05:46
Yay, for once we knew something before the rest of EVE?!

Edit: And I'm shocked SHC hasn't found this thread

Last edited by ViRGE; 09-18-2010 at 05:52..
The Greatest
VeteranXV
Old
5 - 09-18-2010, 16:39
well, shc knows about it now. looks like klauz linked it a little while ago.

KlauZ
VeteranX
Old
6 - 09-19-2010, 02:46
remembered reading it months back and didnt know where, thanks for the bump!

BEAST420
VeteranXV
Old
7 - 09-19-2010, 15:02
I saw a blurb about this on Facebook yesterday from the Eve Online group. As soon as I read it I remembered this thread.

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > The Archives > Eve Online
Reload this Page [So] My corp found an exploitable bug, and it was awesome.

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
bug , eve , exploit