Blizzard Authenticator

I bought one a long while ago, after several friends got hacked right around the same time. Definitely worth it.

Sadly my old guild has had their officers hacked probably a half-dozen times, don't understand how anyone can run a guild with a full gbank and not have an authenticator :(

I got one free from Blizzcon and while it may be annoying to type in numbers everytime I log on, the peace of mind is far better than the little annoyance.

Get it.

Hey, another reason to get an Authenticator of some sort: You get a free Core Hound Pup pet!

corehound_pup_rlt.jpg

I still don't understand how this thing works though.

Would it prevent someone from going into wow and logging into my account without my permission? Perhaps if they just happened to guess the login info?

Or does it only help people with keyloggers installed on their computers because they are logging in through the device instead?

Just trying to understand how exactly it protects you.

If it makes it so nobody can login to my account unless they have this authenticator thing, then that makes sense. Otherwise, seems to me like common sense on how to keep keyloggers and stuff like that off your pc :/.

When you log in, it asks for an authentication code. You press a button on your authenticator and a unique code appears for a short time. You type in that code and it lets you log in. The only way somebody can "hack" your account is if they have access to that code during that short period of time.

I have never been hacked and I only use secure passwords.

I manually install and update all addons I use and always have.

I use the ingame updater for small patches and download the big ones from File Planet and apply them.

...and I wish they'd get the damn servers back up...

Oh, might be worth it to get the pup.

Last edited:
I'm sure I have asked this before, but are you and/or Deepsix still on Kilrogg, IC?

As for how the Authenticator works, its similar to how CD keys work. The code it produces is based on an algorithm tied to that Aithenticator's serial #. A different Authenticator will generate different codes, which would show up as invalid if you tried to log in with it. And because the Authenticator is a seperate device from your computer, a key logger will only ever be able to obtain the most recently entered code, which is only valid for a few minutes at most (presumably while you are currently signed in, so the code couldn't be used later, when you aren't signed in)

or if blizzard was smart theyd use directinput properly such that its not keyloggable

but nah, why fix bugs and bad design when you can make money on it instead! :lol:

or if blizzard was smart theyd use directinput properly such that its not keyloggable

but nah, why fix bugs and bad design when you can make money on it instead! :lol:
:rofl:

Happy your blizz hate is laughable these days

i got my authenticator free from a buddy that went to blizzcon (a certain tw personality) and i do like the peace of mind. Especially when java and flash exploits are so rampant

Back