[Brink]New FPS from Splash Damage

Does D2D even give you a key that you would be able to activate on steam?

edit: It seems like we'll just have to wait and see.. some D2D games give you a key in the same format that Steam accepts, but some have different formats that don't work.

edit again: The Brink page on D2D specifically says that it installs through Steam!

i kinda bought it right away without even thinking about this.. because from all the games i bought so far outside of steam (i mean why would you buy a fucking game through steam and pay 60 euro for it!?) shortly after installing it steam would recognise it directly and implement it into the program :)

nexus, how is that any different from someone escaping and collecting health kits?

here is how its different

They have to go to a certain location, giving up their "safe" hiding place to run to a part of the map that may or may not have the health pack. The Injured player doesn't posses as much a risk to full health players due to their own incompetence prior to new engagements. Even if they did get to a health pack it usually didn't restore their health back to full, only a fraction of what Health regeneration today does.

Unreal Tournament for example
+5HP for a vial
+25HP for a health Pack
+100HP for the "big keg'o health (only one per map)

now add in player controlled classes that distribute and buff health and health regeneration itself is even more retarded.

maybe you're a bit dense but just for example, 1v1 if you were to land 200 bullets hell even 50 on someone you would damn well expect them to be dead, where as with regenerating health it becomes possible that they could very well still be alive.

meanwhile bullets don't regen so therefore you can waste you're entire stockpile of ammo and still not earn a kill. Its unlikely but considering that you do this multiple times with different people and the majority of them are able to scoot away before you get a chance to finish them off. It becomes a heavy drain on your limited stockpile of ammunition, you then have to then run to a "soldier" to get more ammunition, meanwhile they just have to hide behind a fucking wall to get back to 100%.

what are we, back in 2001? get with the times, games have moved on from health packs. get with it or get out.

here is how its different

They have to go to a certain location, giving up their "safe" hiding place to run to a part of the map that may or may not have the health pack. The Injured player doesn't posses as much a risk to full health players due to their own incompetence prior to new engagements. Even if they did get to a health pack it usually didn't restore their health back to full, only a fraction of what Health regeneration today does.

Unreal Tournament for example
+5HP for a vial
+25HP for a health Pack
+100HP for the "big keg'o health (only one per map)

now add in player controlled classes that distribute and buff health and health regeneration itself is even more retarded.
ok, I'll give you that. It is dumbed down in that aspect. But go back to what I said on the previous page. While regaining health is dumbed down from what you would see in games like UT and Quake, there is a lot more other stuff to learn and master in the game.

If a game has too many skill or knowledge elements to master, that can be a bad thing. When there are enormous gaps between experienced and new players, to the point that most new players can't even begin to compete with anyone in the top 30%, the game will probably not hold players very well. Case in point: Monday Night Combat.

Last edited:
maybe you're a bit dense but just for example, 1v1 if you were to land 200 bullets hell even 50 on someone you would damn well expect them to be dead, where as with regenerating health it becomes possible that they could very well still be alive.

meanwhile bullets don't regen so therefore you can waste you're entire stockpile of ammo and still not earn a kill. Its unlikely but considering that you do this multiple times with different people and the majority of them are able to scoot away before you get a chance to finish them off. It becomes a heavy drain on your limited stockpile of ammunition, you then have to then run to a "soldier" to get more ammunition, meanwhile they just have to hide behind a fucking wall to get back to 100%.

From every video I've seen people die in 10-20 bullets. If you're using 50 bullets or even your whole stockpile and still not getting a kill then the player is just terrible. If you're just sitting somewhere letting people hide behind walls that's not the fault of the game mechanics either. Unless they are half way across the map I don't see how it's not hard to get to that player hiding and light them up before they are back at full.

Why are we arguing about this. Sure, maybe it's not the ideal way to handle health, but pretty much all modern FPS games have this.

backpain-1277406949.jpg

From every video I've seen people die in 10-20 bullets. If you're using 50 bullets or even your whole stockpile and still not getting a kill then the player is just terrible. If you're just sitting somewhere letting people hide behind walls that's not the fault of the game mechanics either. Unless they are half way across the map I don't see how it's not hard to get to that player hiding and light them up before they are back at full.

Have you played black ops?

Using health regen instead of health kits eliminates one way that skill and knowledge can give a player an advantage. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though. A game can only take so many of those kinds of skill/knowledge elements.

In old-school shooters like Quake, knowing the locations and timers on all the health/armor/weapon pickups was hugely important. But balancing that was the fact that the games were otherwise very simple. No different classes to learn, no skills, rarely any objectives other than a flag. Just a bunch of weapons, the level layouts, and the movement mechanics.

Compare that to a game like Brink.. With multiple classes, each with their own health, movement mechanics, skills, weapon combinations, and whatever other customization options are available, there's a lot more to learn. Trading out health pickups for health regen keeps the learning curve at a reasonable slope.

It's not that much of a learning curve. The only new things to learn would be classes, and skills. The movement may be different, but pretty much every FPS has it's own movement system to get used to.

Back