Vengeance Vengeance

I don't see any plausable way to deal a blow to VUG in anyway as to be so direct as they would get the message.

And unfourtunatly, VUG will never let the Tribes name go, not to GG or anyone else for anything less then a large sum of money.

The only thing that would possibly come from us pin pricking VUG with whatever we could do to them, is us losing the IRC and master servers.

i actually think the SP was a good idea (if anything, as a marketing ploy) and i even enjoyed it.

but the MP had to be spot on and wasnt. imo, the sporty side was responsive as hell on the physics and i loved that. but the feel wasnt quite there due to the rampant imbalance caused by the grappler and the style of the maps

(TV CTF was flag grab oriented, instead of being flag RUN/route oriented).

that said, more importantly than the ctf dynamics... the new tribes game desperately ALSO needed large scale warfare crap ala tribes2 and all the shit that's taken inspiration from tribes2. Vengeance should have crushed ut2k4 onslaught, planetside, battlefield, etc.

it should have done both.

marweas/thrax did what they did. IGa got handed 2 low-end brands and 2 years for both games (tribes and swat). they got handed a design doc and were told what the priorities were.

it's always easier to see shit in retrospective, but i dont honestly think the SP was a bad idea.

I don't understand what the big deal with the name is. Call it something else, make it like Tribes, but new. Exploit tribes theory; don't nerf it, and you'll have a great game no matter what it's called. Gamers aren't married to names. When B2 comes out, it could be called "Fuck you, nerds. Take a shower." If it's off the hook, FUNTASWAR will be the new dope.

rilkean panther said:
I agree but I think Singleplayer should consist of what became practice mods in T1 and T2. Ability to spawn anywhere, choose gear from a global menu, invent small games and drills, run routes over and over, etc. Multiplayer centric.
I loved those maps as well. Not to mention the XtremeSkis. I had fun doing them by myself and as co-op though.. So I'm not sure if any training maps would ever have to fully be SP

Something I've often thought about was what if you could record routes and then ghost them. So you could follow yourself or someone else's recorded route and learn it as you follow it. Similar to Super Mario Kart's ghosted time trials.

Another meme to add to the mix.

Last edited:
TseTse said:
i actually think the SP was a good idea (if anything, as a marketing ploy) and i even enjoyed it.

but the MP had to be spot on and wasnt.

Your failing to at least recognize (verbalize) the link between the two. SP is an opportunity cost. That time and effort could have been spent on the game's heart and soul. Fuck a narrative.

Last edited:
rilkean panther said:
Your failing to at least recognize (verbalize) the link between the two. SP is an opportunity cost. That time and effort could have been spent on the game's heart and soul. Fuck a narrative.

i agree. for a year project, the SP was inevitably gonna water down what tribes MP required.

but... then again... marweas and thrax had a vision which only required a very simple form of MP with a very narrow focus.

im talking hypthetically. i thought SP wsa a good idea, and in an ideal world we'd have had it, plus old school ctf, PLUS large scale warfare gametypes.

let's keep in mind the SP was designed to train new players and to also emphasis the "sport" idea marweas/thrax thought was gonna be bigger than half life, etc.

i think it's time to just let the game R.I.P.

if someone wants to make a nice tribe-style game behind closed doors, do it. and do it like that, behind closed doors. let's not have endless hype and posts about it. make a pleasent surprise and then we'll all play and have fun.

all this fabled bullshit about bringing down a company or getting what we want from them seems nothing but childish. who cares. we've played this game for so long. christ. it's tribes. tribes is tribes. nothing is gonna change that. it's just simply not very popular.

TseTse said:
i agree. for a year project, the SP was inevitably gonna water down what tribes MP required.

but... then again... marweas and thrax had a vision which only required a very simple form of MP with a very narrow focus.

im talking hypthetically. i thought SP wsa a good idea, and in an ideal world we'd have had it, plus old school ctf, PLUS large scale warfare gametypes.

let's keep in mind the SP was designed to train new players and to also emphasis the "sport" idea marweas/thrax thought was gonna be bigger than half life, etc.

I can't even begin to describe how dumb it was for them to water down the specialization of armors or change how packs worked. That's like removing down and distance out of football or at least making 1st and 5 the rule.

Tribes isn't popular? On the contrary, T2 without the bugs and crashes could have easily been the second most popular fps in the world. Even before anyone's mod. The reason for this was simple, your average(new) gamer could care less about whether the skiing speed was faster or slower, or how some other obscure element compared to T1. They were hopelessly addicted to a new style of gameplay, a style that has been successfully and smartly stolen by several other popular games. The sooner this franchise dies permanently, the sooner it can get out of vug's hands.

Last edited:
Unforunately, I have nothing to contribute. I just wanted to be a part of this thread :p.

Still, I hope that Tribes can survive somehow. It's the Freespace series all over again (stupid Interplay).

i care enough to READ this WHOLE fucking thread

and if "revenge" on VUG means that there will never be a new tribes game fuck that

i hope there will be a new tribes game

i hope

Using TW's clout to induce VUG to do something they don't want to do is a nice idea. I suspect it wont work, but given the fact this Community has been bitten twice we should do it just because we're bitter and because we can. I would consider it a fucking honour if VUG shut down T:V, because the game doesnt deserve to bear the name of the Tribes franchise. Infact, shutting down T:V should be the goal of all Loyal Tribes Veterans.

No Tribes game is ever going to rival Tribes1, please just accept it. So don't go around hoping that a 3rd try is going to reverse the disgrace the previous two have brought to the Franchise.

Ralf Alf out. :ralf:

Wolfhunt said:
I would really love to know who told you there would be no patch for T:V.

Hell the way it is if anyone can make the next game let GG and z0dd and ZOD work on it. Hell, they saved T2.

I like that idea, but they really need better graphic artists. So far, the graphics I've seen from anything from GG aren't that great. Need graphic design on par with unreal 3 engine demo

Everyone who's played Tribes for hundreds of hours (most here) and perused these forums for hundreds of hours making comments can spend 5 minutes writing a letter or sending an email where needed.

I'll give it a shot. (before EPIC buys Tribes hehe)

Back