Vengeance Vengeance

My concern is that devaluing the Tribes brand isn't good in the longterm. Especially if it ever does get into GarageGames' hands.

The franchise still has so much potential. It's set in an incrediblly gritty and developed universe that has great artistic and literary depth. Remember the fucking Luis Royo Heavy Metal style art? (1|2|3|4) Yeah it kicked ass and inspired - others. Remember that Tribes Xtreme comic?

Remember the story? The technology? The history? There are ways to express this without singleplayer and Tribes tried to do this.

It had a learning curve that was steep, but so rewarding. That z-axis threw everyone a curveball when we moved from x&y based mazes.

For me skiing at tremendous speeds made it feel almost like a flight sim once I started cruising. Trying to nail a perfect route with intense velocity and only minor movements took time. Throw in bombing on target or striking the perfect spot or the INCOMING ENEMIES. Fun!

I still love trying to pin MAs.

Tribes had a vision of organized teamplay. We all felt this on and offline.

Remember the shoutcasted matches? The joy of even hearing a team pull off a last second cap to save the game. Fuck.

T1 Vchat revolutionized online gaming communication. It's standard now.
I DON'T | DANCE!.

Simple things like the animations we scripted to bust out as we repaired the gens. inv juggling.

Command map and targetting laser. Why were they subtracted? They helped me navigate and communicate.

Open ended design so players could define their own roles.

Dynamix hooked us up with original tribes community site: tribesplayers.com
This set the example for other Tribes community sites like XtremeTribes, Tribes-Universe, Planet-Tribes and PlanetStarsiege to follow.

Some of the devs participated in competition and helped carry that torch. SofaKings? Pandas? Represent.

Holy shit scripting was awesome.

Fuck. I'm grieving. :[

It's heartbreaking to see what's happened. But I have a feeling this isn't the end, though. There's too much potential.

I just hope it finds its way home...

Last edited:
Destroying the tribes brand is going to do nothing good for anybody. Right now we are on the verge of a monopoly in gaming production. We all know EA is aquiring all it can get it's hands on, causing VUG problems will make this situation worse and cost gamers lots in the long run. VUG actually put faith into the Tribes franchise to make another game. And for that I am glad.

But it hasn't done well (one would assume). The only way we will see something positive is if every single copy of T:V was sold out within a month or so. Promoting further sales in the franchise and keeping VUG alive. This may lead to another tribes game. But I think it's pretty much the end for tribes.

It may be possible through games like Legends or Tribes:source that we see another worthy game that keeps the tribes name/style alive but I doubt it. Tribalwar community has moved on from tribes to a large extent. Many hated Tribes 2, some didn't even play Tribes 1. Now not many play T:V. A good proportion have move from computer games to "life". While the others have moved to other games.

Would I like to see Garage Games take another shot? Yes, I loved t1, I like t2 quite a lot. I don't think they are too interested in it anymore, with big games like Zap. But you never know.

[THE]Perrin said:
I don't know. I still think playing with 2 people of a proxied 56k connection was the high point of my Tribes playing career.

YEAH. THAT'S RIGHT. CAREER. SUCK IT.

So how's the 401k plan paying off?

Oh and :wave: Kelster!

Celestial, wassup. :]

Here's a quick question...
How did you get access to the Tribes IP for that animation project? Did you go through VUG?

Ordos said:
Actually Alex did his job quite well while he was in contract with VUG. I don't believe we were told the entire story of why he was let go ... maybe it was him pushing "true tribes" to VUG and them saying, "Hey ... Go fuck yourself."

Thrax's design was a center piece yes, but how much was it influenced by VUG wanting a "mass appeal" Tribes game?

PS. Playing Devil's Advocate.

mass appeal tribes game? huh????

marweas spent half his fuckin time at work fuckin whoring forums, first of all, and flaming his fans (and not just on the tribes brand)... he made big news for being a total asshole. i predicted his ass was gonna get "released" long before it happened. nor am i surprised he is here yapping again blaming everybody but himself... instead of being a professional back in the sector.

thrax i think was very sincere (and a flametard only half the time), but i believe the entire design of TV was he and marweas' perhaps with a few diehards also giving iinput. let me be clear, i enjoy TV... i just think it was about 1/3rd the game it should have been.

they honestly believed that the small scale sporty comp gameplay was the one-size-fits-all solution for the tribes brand. the turned their backs not only on the aspects of tribes we had seen in the past but also on the implications tribes had on modern gaming in terms of large scale combat. no, instead of allowing that side of tribes to exist in any form... they pushed their narrow agenda within the terms of a lowball contract on 2 VUG brands with IG.

i do think they were smart tto include the SP and i also wish BOTH had been there till the end to make sure that aspect was the heart of the marketing, but it's sorta besides the point.

they were blinded by their own ideology and romance with the aspect of the brand THEY wanted to see.

it's fuckin retarded that tribes didnt have some large scale combat shit in it, after inspiring sooo many other popular games since tribes2. truly fuckin retarded, in the face of ut2k4 onslaught, battlefield, planetside, battleffront, etc, etc, ... not to show that side of tribes as well.

they didnt do proper market research (i dont think they even noticed what was being played in tribes 1 and tribes 2... cuz last i checked katabotic was the top map). they just shoved their agenda.

i dont think other VUG people caused the design to be what it was, unless there are other players we dont know about. anybody who saw how marweas and thrax talked about tribes in the past 2-3 years could have predicted what we got...

and if they had talked with some more objective people at VUG, perhaps they'd have reconsidered the one-size-fits-all design docs.

my 2 cents.

even as a one-size-fits-all sporty game, i still expected it to sell 100,000 copies or whatever... but while i enjoyed TV a ton... i didnt expect real success either.

Last edited:
Kelster said:
Celestial, wassup. :]

Here's a quick question...
How did you get access to the Tribes IP for that animation project? Did you go through VUG?

I didn't get access to anything, I did that on my own out of my own back pocket with the help of Blake at the writing helm. It was my mistake though, and I've learned from it...the hard way.

Supposenly the whole project got lost in a long paper trail, Alex never came clean with me on that one (but it could be the honest truth)

Oh and forgive me, I'm a leet sig stealer! (hehe who remembers that?)

I don't think it's fair to blame the failure of T:V on any ONE person. It was a collaboration of incompetence, miscalculations and long-shot-risks-that-didn't-pay-off that combined to crush our gaming dreams.

EndR said:
Why can't we do what Classic did for T2 to T:V?

Or is the mod support horriable?

the mod support is OK (not as bad as folks say), but still wack for full mod projects. you can certainly map and make basic mutators pertaining to gameplay changes.

more fundamentally, only 43,000 people bought T:V. as i remember, nearly 300,000 bought T2 so there was much more room for recovery.

That was kind of one of the good things with DaveG still around, at least you knew you were going to get a game you could at least mod.

Also Classic only happened because people were interested to begin with.

I will hold to my belief that true tribes has no single player. One dollar spent on single player is a waste of money. I will know the product is being revived correctly when there is no talk about console games or single player mode. (That is unless the console plays 16 or 20 players with low ping)

The whole point of the game is multi. Anyone who says the future of the game includes a single player element is delusional. The most - *THE MOST* it should have is a short tutorial in SP mode. Not a single ounce of dev time should be spent on SP. Fuck SP.

Celestial said:
I didn't get access to anything, I did that on my own out of my own back pocket with the help of Blake at the writing helm. It was my mistake though, and I've learned from it...the hard way.

Supposenly the whole project got lost in a long paper trail, Alex never came clean with me on that one (but it could be the honest truth)

Oh and forgive me, I'm a leet sig stealer! (hehe who remembers that?)
Shitty deal. It's too bad it never came to be.

And give'r on the sig! That Tribes art has represented how I've felt since Dynamix was shut down. Mad props to Patricio Soler, the artist. :]
Brasstax said:
I will hold to my belief that true tribes has no single player. One dollar spent on single player is a waste of money. I will know the product is being revived correctly when there is no talk about console games or single player mode. (That is unless the console plays 16 or 20 players with low ping)

The whole point of the game is multi. Anyone who says the future of the game includes a single player element is delusional. The most - *THE MOST* it should have is a short tutorial in SP mode. Not a single ounce of dev time should be spent on SP. Fuck SP.
I concur. I think there are a lot of ways to express the Tribes universe's depth without an SP element.

Last edited:
Brasstax said:

I agree but I think Singleplayer should consist of what became practice mods in T1 and T2. Ability to spawn anywhere, choose gear from a global menu, invent small games and drills, run routes over and over, etc. Multiplayer centric.

Back