[T:V] Post pics of the maps you are working on... by destroyer193 - Page 11 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page [T:V] Post pics of the maps you are working on...
Page 11 of 37
Santa
VeteranXV
Old
201 - 10-10-2004, 23:17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Masta D
Are those my T2 terrain textures Santa? If so I might need to get those from you becuase I lost the file, lol.
No those are the emerald textures. More detailed than T2 textures.

Sponsored Links
Grand Masta D
VeteranXX
Old
202 - 10-10-2004, 23:19
Wierd, they look almost identical to mine.

pyrot3chnic
VeteranXX
Old
203 - 10-10-2004, 23:49
DOX is still around, I haven't seen him on in the past few weeks though.

Rilke
VeteranX
Old
204 - 10-11-2004, 00:20
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyer193
too late now :P
It's never too late to be original.

If you have the skills to make a copy of a map, with a little more effort you can offer the community something unique like DOX did when he first released CC.

There's nothing wrong with imitation. In fact, you should imitate that which has been proven in the past, but you should be creative in doing so by reinterpreting already existing concepts (e.g. those things which made CCD work well) in your own unique designs.

Take out a pen and paper and write down all the things that you think made CCD worth imitating. Then brainstorm on how you can re-create those elements in a new context--new terrain, new objects, new design, etc. If you invest in such a creative process you will inevitably think of ways you would like to add to, subtract from, or play off of DOX's original ideas, hence creating your own original ideas from a study of DOX's work.

This would honor DOX's work and satiate the community's desires more than if you were to merely offer up a facsimilie of CCD.

Imitate, but create.

zaius
VeteranXX
Old
205 - 10-11-2004, 00:29
we need new xtremeski for T:V

[GF]Drakkan
VeteranXX
Old
206 - 10-11-2004, 00:36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaius
we need new xtremeski for T:V

That would be intense

Rev_Night
WelchesXV
Old
207 - 10-11-2004, 00:46
anyone here remember that t1 map called 'Spiral''? it was a really oneside map that was all the way up in the air. all it was was just a base on top, a base on the bottom, and a spiral ramp going from each.

destroyer193
VeteranX
Old
208 - 10-11-2004, 00:48
Quote:
Originally Posted by rilkean panther
It's never too late to be original.

If you have the skills to make a copy of a map, with a little more effort you can offer the community something unique like DOX did when he first released CC.

There's nothing wrong with imitation. In fact, you should imitate that which has been proven in the past, but you should be creative in doing so by reinterpreting already existing concepts (e.g. those things which made CCD work well) in your own unique designs.

Take out a pen and paper and write down all the things that you think made CCD worth imitating. Then brainstorm on how you can re-create those elements in a new context--new terrain, new objects, new design, etc. If you invest in such a creative process you will inevitably think of ways you would like to add to, subtract from, or play off of DOX's original ideas, hence creating your own original ideas from a study of DOX's work.

This would honor DOX's work and satiate the community's desires more than if you were to merely offer up a facsimilie of CCD.

Imitate, but create.
I understand what you are saying... I'm mainly doing this map to learn tved fully, i had minimal experience in UED.

I understand what you are saying about imitating, but at the same time creating. And that is what I'm doing in essence. Im trying to capture the gameplay, and at the same time, pretty much change everything else.

Rilke
VeteranX
Old
209 - 10-11-2004, 01:09
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyer193
I understand what you are saying... I'm mainly doing this map to learn tved fully, i had minimal experience in UED.

I understand what you are saying about imitating, but at the same time creating. And that is what I'm doing in essence. Im trying to capture the gameplay, and at the same time, pretty much change everything else.

Tha's cuz you da man!

Rosdower
VeteranXX
Old
210 - 10-11-2004, 09:46
i cant find how to import heightfields :[

MonkeyHero
VeteranX
Old
211 - 10-11-2004, 16:31
Rosdower, set up a terrain like normal with just a flat heightmap. Then open up the Texture Browser, and go to the MyLevel group. You should find just a plain gray texture labeled whatever you named your heightmap (TerrainHeightmap) by default. Go to File->Import and select the image you want to load. Make sure you fill out the package (MyLevel), group, and name (TerrainHeightmap) exactly as the one that's already there. This will overwrite the plain gray one with your new fancy terrain.

Once you've gotten that, right click the height map in the texture browser, and choose Convert->G16 Heightfield. If it gives you an error, make sure that you're importing from a .bmp file. If there's no error, it should now list [G16] next to the texture's name.

Now the wierd thing is this will do nothing to the actual terrain you see (on my computer at least). I have to click the build geometry button, save the map (ctrl+L), and exit and restart TribesEd. After that the terrain shows up how it's supposed to and I can build the lighting for it.

Santa
VeteranXV
Old
212 - 10-13-2004, 13:02

Sanchez
VeteranX
Old
213 - 10-13-2004, 13:06
hrm. can see both bases from there eh. would there be any base 2 base sniping with max viewable distance?

slogg
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
214 - 10-13-2004, 13:07
I hate you and love you at the same time

FreshMeat
VeteranX
Old
215 - 10-13-2004, 13:10
Santa is bringing us an early Christmas present! w00t!

Could you put together a tutorial on how you made that map or some other general tutorial, because I wouldn't mind learning how to do this, if it is not to much to bother you for.

Tantric Rex
VeteranXV
Old
216 - 10-13-2004, 13:28
that is a nice sky santa

dudeman
VeteranX
Old
217 - 10-13-2004, 13:30
oh man I hope you put out a beta soon

d0ur
VeteranX
Old
218 - 10-13-2004, 13:59
im all for remaking the maps, but should the bases and whatnot be more like the new bases? and the overall locations and terrian the same as before? seems silly to have the bases exactly the same(looking not conceptually)as t1...

[Ms] iNsAnE
VeteranX
Old
219 - 10-13-2004, 14:04
2 questions for exp. map makers

1. How do you import height terrains? I have some saved that I want to bring in.
2. I'm making an indoor map. How do I make a hallway that's at a slope so you can ski down it? Is there a way to rotate the cube maker so it's slanted before I subtract it?

Hell Phoenix
VeteranXV
Old
220 - 10-13-2004, 14:07
santa, my advice is increasing base distances by another %50. You and everyone else will like it like that...trustttt me.

Page 11 of 37

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page [T:V] Post pics of the maps you are working on...

Social Website Bullshit