News: Tribes: Vengeance Skinning Contest

sLoGg said:
in that case do we get HQ pheonix logos to work with and tag on to the skin????
I asked for that, but was denied. I guess you'll just have to use what is there unless someone wants to vectorize the logo.

Xionic said he's going to make a vector version of the Phoenix logo. So praise him like the god that he is. :)

wonder how much interest this will attract from the semi-pro crowds at polycount etc, as they'll pwn most average skinners, specially with normal map use etc.

Here are some renders for those of you that don't have 3d Studio so you can see what it looks like.

Render_front.jpg

Render_left.jpg

Render_right.jpg

Render_rear.jpg

Render_perspective.jpg

DOX said:
wonder how much interest this will attract from the semi-pro crowds at polycount etc, as they'll pwn most average skinners, specially with normal map use etc.

hopefully they have no clue wtf phoenix is supposed to look like.

DOX said:

Probably a fair amount, if someone actually goes and tells them about this.

Most of the Alternative skins made by irrational are just paint overs, and texture changes. Elements like the jet nozzles leg braces, bolts, cloth folds are all the same.

But, the competition rules stipulate that the submitted skins have to be ALL our own work? so we cannot just reuse elements like the straps, folds, bolts, jet nozzles? but have to repaint them ourselves ina style that firs with irrational's work/concept without being exactly the same. the jet nozzels being a good example as im going to assume they are the same on nearly all the phoenix models and the other races nozzles will have been painted to look like they use the same technology.

So basicly, what im trying to ask is can we reuse pieces of the original skin?

Repainting straps etc too look like they are made by the same people etc is going to be a bitch.

We can use pieces of the original skin. When they meant our own work, they meant our work on top of their work. (That doesn't stop you from making a completely new skin however)

very cool ...i actually might dust off photoshop for this.. even though i know absolutely nothing about skinning.. might as well give it a try.

triple said:
We can use pieces of the original skin. When they meant our own work, they meant our work on top of their work. (That doesn't stop you from making a completely new skin however)

Ok, Thanks. Good news :)

Even if I don't make a submission or get very far with this it'll still be fun being able to skin stuff before the game is out :)

I'd rather do weapon skins though :(

Back