Tribes 3 Heavy Armor or Ghost Rider?

Ben Reed said:
I hope they do both jets in the back and jets in the feet, jets in the feet on their own look kinda hokey IMHO...even for science fiction, it's hard to believe you could get boosters in the feet (a) strong enough to lift a big-ass heavy, and (b) stable enough not to turn the armor head over heels.

[Universe Nazi]

Tribal jets are very, very weak. The reason they can lift the armors is that upon jetting, T-Grav nodes are activated, reducing the weight of the armor enough for propulsion to take place. Armors are kept upright by an array of gyroscopes, which can be turned off at the discretion of the wearer.

[/Universe Nazi]

Ambush_Bug[DTM] said:
[Universe Nazi]

Tribal jets are very, very weak. The reason they can lift the armors is that upon jetting, T-Grav nodes are activated, reducing the weight of the armor enough for propulsion to take place. Armors are kept upright by an array of gyroscopes, which can be turned off at the discretion of the wearer.

[/Universe Nazi]

They'd still look cooler with both back and foot jets, though...or at least with just back jets.

Oh, I'm in total agreement there. Back and feet would rock, plus a couple of jets on the calves would be cool, too.

I'm also of a mind that if a heavy needs a melee weapon, he should whack baddies with the mortar cannon--it does weigh a full metric ton, you know. :)

Ambush_Bug[DTM] said:
[Universe Nazi]

[/Universe Nazi]

Like most of the rest of the Story Universe, that's incredibly fucking stupid ;)

It does solve the problem of actually trying to engineer jets powerful enough to lift 800+lbs (not counting weapons) of heavy without anti-grav support, though. Actually, I have to admit I'm curious as to where Hex got his inspiration for the background tech.

*edit* Christ, I can't spell for shit. */edit*

Last edited:
Ambush_Bug[DTM] said:
It does solve the problem of actually trying to engineer jets powerful enough to lift 800+lbs (not counting weapons) of heavy without anti-grav support, though. Actually, I have to admit I'm curious as to where Hex got his inspiration for the background tech.

It's an entirely fictional world, thus the only problems are the ones he himself created. Engineering jets to lift that much weight is a problem..but engineering anti-grav nodes isn't? :lol:

Just fucking say "The jets can lift the armor" and stop getting over-complex. It's a hallmark of bad world-creation ;)

Last edited:
Grenades? Who said that?
*edit*

It's nOdes, not nAdes.

*/edit*

Anyhoo, I like it for the story.

...and the royal fuck-smashing that goes on in the background, too. Can't forget the fuck-smashing.

Yeah, some of the technology fiction is kinda hokey...I like the social aspects of the backstory, though, I wish Hex would write a book or some shit.

Sir Lucius said:
sig16.gif

sig17.gif

concept17.gif

i think the head/shoulder need to be moved over 1 space to the left

Ben Reed said:
Yeah, some of the technology fiction is kinda hokey...I like the social aspects of the backstory, though, I wish Hex would write a book or some shit.
I know I'm a rarity here, but I actually enjoyed reading the T1 manual! The story, different tribes, art and depth are part of the reason I was drawn to the game. Moving from atmospheric Blizzard RTS's towards T1, I fell in love with the elaborate t-universe before I became hooked on CTF, skiing, jets and MAs. :]

I heard Hex was involved with the storyline for the Tribes cartoon, but that was ages ago and the project's site is dead. Who knows if that stuff'll ever see a release. I'd be interested in finding out what happened to Diamondback as well. :\

Those of you interested in Tribes tech, fiction, backstory, etc should check out http://www.tribesroleplayers.com/. It's packed with just about everything you wanted to know about the Tribes universe and run by a dedicated crew. A section on jets here. :browsmile

Back