I just remembered I had a cool Tribes Vengeance dream last night [X-treme ski]

Sir Lucius

Veteran XX
It was an extreme ski map, and it was really cool how it was done, b/c it used more terrain than interrior tracks. First of all it was a sand map, so CoF level. Anyways you started at the top of this really really tall mountain, and you basically followed a trail of switchbacks down. You could easily see the next switchback and as a cool visual enchanement there were concrete walls holding up the trail (like on a real mountain pass only thiker). The corners were really big bowls, and the key to turning correctly wasn't to take the downhill at fullspeed, but kind of strafe jet through the corner in the right spots to transfer your momentum. If you took them too fast you'd just go flying up and lose time.

So now I'm thinking this would actually be cool. What I'd do set up slalom gates at the corners so people don't just cut straight down. And to start the map you spawn from a predetermined height, and always land on the same slope. This would keep the beginning even. After that it's just a matter of running the map time attack style. I imagine differnt modes of play where everyone starts off at the same time, and everyone has a discluncher. After the first corver or so you can fire and it's all out roadrash. Or you could place the weapons on the track. I like the idea of tr2 knocking you out, but I think it'd be more fun if wepons just knocked you off course.

Anyways, yea -- good dream.

That actually sounds like a lot of fun, luc. Seriously, it'd be pretty cool to actually have a real skiing map/mod so you could challenge people in a test of skiing tomfoolery.

5 on 5 Japanese Downhill. First memeber on either team to cross the finish line is the winning team. You get a disc launcher, but it can only bounce players around, they take no damage.

Make the courses crazy big, so people can take different routes to the finish line.

Maybe some maps require objective to be run over. Or a map where all five players have to find flags, first team down the hill with all players wins. Or, 5 flags in total ... discs do damage, first 3 over the finish line win.

Are there any limits on map size?

Oh and Lucius we need an MSPaint drawing for proper visualization.

[hAuS] C R A B said:
5 on 5 Japanese Downhill. First memeber on either team to cross the finish line is the winning team. You get a disc launcher, but it can only bounce players around, they take no damage.

Make the courses crazy big, so people can take different routes to the finish line.

Maybe some maps require objective to be run over. Or a map where all five players have to find flags, first team down the hill with all players wins. Or, 5 flags in total ... discs do damage, first 3 over the finish line win.

I like where this is going. This could be very good.

:bandit:

Yes, it is different from CTF where you can win a match with a single good skier and some decent skilled drones covering him.

[hAuS] C R A B said:

I wouldn't have differnt routes I don't think. IF you do something like that what I think you'd end up getting is people just discjumping bee line. I'd rather have the slalom gates and even with arches so you can't fly over them.

As for finding flags, my idea is more of a course or a track. So you're not really spread accross the map. However, you could have flags give a speed boost or something (like mario cart and coins) and when you get hit with a direct disc you drop all your flags.

Heres what came into my haed from reading luci's description. Minus the desert.

ski2.jpg

Sir Lucius said:
I wouldn't have differnt routes I don't think. IF you do something like that what I think you'd end up getting is people just discjumping bee line. I'd rather have the slalom gates and even with arches so you can't fly over them.

As for finding flags, my idea is more of a course or a track. So you're not really spread accross the map. However, you could have flags give a speed boost or something (like mario cart and coins) and when you get hit with a direct disc you drop all your flags.

I guess you were thinking more of an actual slalom course, like downhill skiing; two players, red and blue gates, etc. This would be good because you would get an absolute time which could be bragged about.

I thought with the amount of time cappers have put into "route finding", some would enjoy finding their own routes down the mountain. Some routes would give you insane speed that would send you into a tree/wall/object, others routes would be open where good consistency would get you down fastest. Some would try a bit of both. This adds a 'secret route' aspect to the game.

The team thing is more difficult. A team of 5 with one cowboy and 4 blockers might be fun, sort of a rollerball tribes style.

Lots of possible combos.

* please include a switch that must be MA'd to open a gate and get you on a faster route down the hill. [;)]

Back