[T:V] Progressive War

Rigel

Veteran XX
This idea came to me when I first heard of Battlefield 1942, in fact it was how I originally pictured the game. Since the actual game came out nothing like my dreams I hoped that some other game would pick up the slack and fulfill my boyish fantasies. Tribes being a good game type to support it, I figured I'd get the idea out there and see what people thought of it.

Progressive War:

The concept is simple really, first pick a day of the week, any day, and let’s say Saturday for an example. Then pick an hour, again let’s assume 8:00 PM EST. So on every Saturday at 8:00 PM EST somehow 4-5 servers would start on Tribes: Vengeance. How they start and who hosts them are unimportant as far as I'm concerned.

These 4-5 servers would all host the same map for exactly 1 hour, after which they would close until the next Saturday.

Now you may be asking yourself why in gods name are they only up for an hour. The answer is really 2 fold:

1) When a person registers for an account on T:V, they are randomly assigned a team, say Blood Eagle and Diamond Sword. These randomly assigned teams determine who you fight for in the weekly battles. You can change teams when you join a clan that is of the opposite team. Say you're on Diamond Sword and you join a Blood Eagle clan, you're now on Blood Eagle.

2) The winning team of each map is recorded. If there are 5 servers and Blood Eagle team win 3 out of the 5 servers then Blood Eagle wins the Map. Assuming there are an even number of servers and its a tie, the map is replayed next week.

So in that short 1 hour game, a battle is won by either team. The next week another map is played unless a tie occurs the previous week. The next map however is of the same tileset as the previous map. For example, the first map is a desert map, well then the next map will also be a desert map. The maps will continue to rotate until all maps of that tileset are played. The winner of the most maps will win that world. Thus if Blood Eagle wins 7 out of the 12 "snow maps", they win the "snow world."

After all maps have been played, and all worlds won, whichever team has the most worlds is the winner of the war.

Then, all battle play is suspended until the beginning of the next war. The game designers can create different rules for different wars, like throw in a Mod, like Shifter or such for each war.

The bonuses of this idea are ALL maps are played; CTF, Siege, D+D, C+H. Everything is fair game.

If you wanted to make things more interesting, you could add a ranking system, where by all players are ranked and given positions based on skill. Or even have an executive be elected via an in game voting system. The Executive would cover troop placement on various servers, be able to join any server and give bonuses to all players on that server just for having the executive around, kind of like a patriotism kind of thing.

Well, there’s the idea. I think it would work really well if implemented and maintained by people who care about the system.

Really? Hm, damd this crap internet connection at school. Sadly since my IP sucks I can't play games online and thus am stuck without tribes for months at a time... I know, heresy.

Either way, if it was built into the game it would work alot better don't you think. I'm sure those boys do an excellent job, but imagine if the MP was centered around it.

Oh and to clear things up, this wouldn't effect other servers from hosting their own games.

When I first read this thread title I thought he was going to echo an idea that has been floating around in the community since T1 - progressively linked maps. You know, where there are five maps in a rotation and they are built as though linked, combat progresses geographically across the map rotation depending on the victor of any given round until one team or the other reaches and wins the other team's 'home' map. I've always wanted to see Tribes do that, and it's not even something that would require a heavy mod. Just a map selection script that ran based on previous map victor, and then some good linked map packs.

ConfigSys.boy said:
When I first read this thread title I thought he was going to echo an idea that has been floating around in the community since T1 - progressively linked maps. You know, where there are five maps in a rotation and they are built as though linked, combat progresses geographically across the map rotation depending on the victor of any given round until one team or the other reaches and wins the other team's 'home' map. I've always wanted to see Tribes do that, and it's not even something that would require a heavy mod. Just a map selection script that ran based on previous map victor, and then some good linked map packs.
Kind of like the campaign mode in Enemy Territory. It would be cool if T3 had that.

i worte a long thing about that in some thread config sys, even haveing the different kind of maps for like the first being striaght ctf, the second ctf and the third a siege type map. that would be pretty cool.

Rigel said:
Since when does when I joined a forum have anything to do with wether I'm a good Tribes player or not? Just because you're a veteran doesn't mean you're better at the actual game than myself. It just means you've been posting for a long time.

I actually think it is grammar and spelling that make someone a good player.

That's why I got recruited after playing classic for 2-3 weeks...

Back