T:V Customizable huds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fraggy Poo

Veteran X
While playing through SSX3 today, I saw that they offered 3 hud settings: full, medium, and minimalist. I think it would be a good idea to offer some customization to the hud when the game is released. Perhaps 3 different presets, but also offer the ability to delete, change size, positioning, and color of all the on-screen symbols. And make it easy for the average gamer to do so.

Or perhapes find the most popular huds per roles and then make "famrer hud" "capper hud" "fatass offense hud" etc

Or just make it so that you can turn it on/off and move HUDs around, instead of having presets, you know, like in T1?

or use hypno toad to transfer the data directly into our brain so we dont need any huds.

We had a discussion of customizable huds during the scripting panel at UVA. From what I recall, it's up to the creator of the 'mutator of that mod/type' to give the client some extended options. There is a very HIGH chance that T:V will come with customizable huds, but in a more general way (all in blue, large, stuff like that)*

*all from what I heard, don't take it as word 'till someone proves it right.

Gundamflare said:
From what I recall, it's up to the creator of the 'mutator of that mod/type' to give the client some extended options.
Sounds like the way it is in Enemy Territory, which SUCKS. I don't want to have to play on any particular server just so my compass can be in the lower left of the screen.

Thats a minor option IMO.
This would basically be a pre-made hud mover, but scripters can already make such hud movers.

LouCypher said:
Sounds like the way it is in Enemy Territory, which SUCKS. I don't want to have to play on any particular server just so my compass can be in the lower left of the screen.

It's an age old debate that will never end. Freedom or security. I'd sacrifice the ability to color and move my hud for the ability to have a free of cheating gaming experience.

In the end, 'cheats' (regardless of how simple they are) turn the community inside out and things that we consider 'precious' (MA mortars, long nades etc) will be taken as cheats, the magic of the game is lost.

Gundamflare said:
It's an age old debate that will never end. Freedom or security. I'd sacrifice the ability to color and move my hud for the ability to have a free of cheating gaming experience.

In the end, 'cheats' (regardless of how simple they are) turn the community inside out and things that we consider 'precious' (MA mortars, long nades etc) will be taken as cheats, the magic of the game is lost.

I completely agree that it would be in the games best interest to make it as cheat-free as possible. However, let's not forget a games longevity thrives on modification and change. Take for example the most common action in the tribes series, skiing. If you remember, skiing isn't something that was built into the game. People just happened to figure out that you could tap the space bar to slide down hills and pick up speed. Then to simplify life someone else wrote a small and simple script to automatically emulate space bar taps just by holding it down so it's easy to ski. Now all these years later the Tribes series is defined by 3 things: Jet packs, the storm hammer, and skiing.

My point is that (IMO) T1 was a success and such a memorable game not because of what the devs originally put into and planned for the game, but because the community came together and constantly made improvements on it through scripting to change it into something we all came to love. The developers created an admirable foundation for a revolutionary game. It was then up to us to shape it into what we wanted it to be.

It's always a good idea to limit the ways people can cheat, however taking a sledge hammer approach to it and severely limiting client side scripting in general just isn't a good idea. If they want to prevent cheating, that's great. Just don't screw up the one thing that helped make T1 such a success that it was.

Obsidian said:
My point is that (IMO) T1 was a success and such a memorable game not because of what the devs originally put into and planned for the game, but because the community came together and constantly made improvements on it through scripting to change it into something we all came to love. The developers created an admirable foundation for a revolutionary game. It was then up to us to shape it into what we wanted it to be.

Yep, agree with you there. However, keep in mind, that it's community base (although can be considered minor, I consider it to be major) was founded on the fact that you don't need to buy Tribes. The last poll (the staticians would stab themselves if they read this) concluded that there was a significant amount (45% roughly) of those who had burned Tribes rather than buy it, this plays a big role in gathering a community as this is not the case in Tribes:Vengeance, there can be no burning and playing on multiplayer :)rolleyes: to those who know about ut2k-burning). Furthermore, if you take into account a very responsive community member (KineticPoet) his foot is already in the door frame and I KNOW he won't be letting go. His intentions (main drive being money, of course [it's inherent, sorry]) are also intertwined with that of the community, which gives us a bonus. We don't need to bother about whether or not they are going to include our favorite Tribes 1 stuff like voice binds because we know, that KineticPoet would at least kick that around the table.

Oh yeah, we also have :marweas:

This picture has nothing to do with customizable huds or scripting in Tribes:Vengeance. but I thought it was pretty

vortal_pic_109472.jpg

All I want is the built in ability to mess with my hud.
I don't want to have to download some script to be able to do that.

Just make it under the customization tab in the options window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back