T:V Reticles

Zortch said:
thats kind of a cool idea, but it would get too crazy when you have a texture that has more than a couple different colors in it (the sky for example). Then your reticle would be all rainbow-like.
I'm not worried about that at all. First, the reticle is very small (at least that's the way we want it and will make it if it isn't ;) ), second, skies usually have bright colors, and that few pixels will seem to be plain black, or at least something really dark.

CxD said:
1435775.jpg

thats ugly
hmmmm..i think this should be a chaingun specific reticle....and it gets bigger the farther away u get from the person but then again u would kinda have to be "locked on" to them for it to work...but nice idea ?no? (kinda like cs :cry: )

I like weapon-specific rets, I use a orange/black/white set I dug up somewhere. Sniper ret must be minimalistic, full FOV in different zoom modes is essential. Other rets can be a bit bigger and flashy since you don't use them for pixle perfect aiming.

I'm a fan of no reticle. If you don't know where the center of the screen is then take a ruler and a marker and mark it on your screen. The only thing a reticle is good for is sniping.

AstrumPreliator said:
I'm a fan of no reticle. If you don't know where the center of the screen is then take a ruler and a marker and mark it on your screen. The only thing a reticle is good for is sniping.

name me one fps game that uses absolutely no reticle....and ill name you one really crappy fps game.

AstrumPreliator said:

Let's hear it for members people! :rolleyes:

AstrumPreliator said:

So you mark your screen with a dot for the middle? Do you clean off the dot when your not playing? or does your "dot retricle" allow you to shoot posts on TW as well?

Amadeu5 said:
What if the color of the reticle would always be the invert of the background? You shouldn't worry about visiblity issues then...
Turns out that's not always optimal. In fact, on an inconsistent background the inverse is always less visible than some solid color. The problem is figuring out which solid color. here is an example:
reticles.gif

The cross on the left is inverse. To me the green is the most visible, but (as we covered in a different UI thread) others may see the blue or pink as more visible depending on their vision peculiarities. Nobody sees colors exactly the same way, so there is rarely one prefect solution.

Back