Player differences 1942 vs. Tribes

Tribes 2 still has Score Uncle-Toms.

Just like there was always a handful of house-negroes on the plantation that loved the master no matter how much he whipped their kin, there are people who play Tribes that love their score no matter how much their actions screw over the team.

You can be a Score Uncle-Tom with repair points as much as anything else, so it's not that much better than BF1942.

I have to disagree with the article, as it seems to be headed towards the fact that points drive the players which drive the game. When I play, points are the last thing I'm thinking about.

Call me greedy, but I need personal points to drive me. I NEED to see how I am doing such as amount of kills, flag returns, ect to drive me to do better next time around.

Be cool if the devs set personal points as an option where you could shut em off if you don't want to see them.

FireStarter said:
Be cool if the devs set personal points as an option where you could shut em off if you don't want to see them.

I'm sure server admins will be able to shut that shit off as needed for pub play.

fucking members

"i need points to show me i dun good"

stfu

the game is about playing it, not getting the most points at it.
if u want that shti go play some retarded arcade game that records your "score".

i dont play tribes or bf1942 for the fucken score. I play it to win.

Regardless of how foolish we think it is, there seem to be enough people who care about personal score to make it an important tool for motivating players.

Shoddy said:
Regardless of how foolish we think it is, there seem to be enough people who care about personal score to make it an important tool for motivating players.

This was discussed at length in some other recent thread. Forgot which board.

[meph]DarkDonut said:
fucking members
i dont play tribes or bf1942 for the fucken score. I play it to win.

I am the exact opposite. I dont play to win. I play to have have fun. Winning is just a positive side effect from having fun. Its quite futile to play to win on a pub, because if you do you just end up getting in pissing matches about "my team sucks", when in reality thats bullshit. If you were good enough, your team would never suck on a pub. If I had a dollar for every time I saw someone blame a loss on their teammates, I would be a millionaire.

Thats why I think point systems have real valor, because they give players something to shoot for besides pissing and moaning about who is winning and sucky teammates. They also promote positive competition between players.

There's no doubt that Tribes 2 players have more experience in both Tribes 2 and the original, but you never heard stories about vehicle hogs even when T2 was new.

:rofl: :rofl: Apparently this guy never actually played T2.

And as for stats, in the stats thread myself and a few others had alternatives to 1 pt kill 5 pt cap scoring systems. I do think there needs to be a system in place, but it should reward everyone, not just snipers.

Here is what I consider a good system:
5 pts=cap
2 pts=taking out gen, killing flag carrier
1 pt=kill, deployed turret kill

Points for touching the flag, repairing equipment, and returning flags are pretty stupid if you ask me. Everyone should do that kind of stuff regardless of points. Keep it simple.

Void|deadjawa said:
Here is what I consider a good system:
5 pts=cap
2 pts=taking out gen, killing flag carrier
1 pt=kill, deployed turret kill

Points for touching the flag, repairing equipment, and returning flags are pretty stupid if you ask me. Everyone should do that kind of stuff regardless of points. Keep it simple.

Keeping it simple means there is just going to be point whoring again. Your system is no different from T2's.

http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=4505857#post4505857

There's mine, not saying it's perfect, but a weighted score is a lot better than 1 point kill 5 point cap.

:rolleyes:

Point-whoring is a good thing for the newbies. Once you realize that whoring doesn't help your team win, you generally move on. At least, that is how it was for me.

FPS games need to take this one step further:
Don't keep track of kills. Instead, keep track of total player damage done.

Oh yeah...and deploying invens should be worth 100 points.

Just get rid of individual points. In a team based game what's the point? This has been pointed out before, but having individual scores during the game is pointless, and you should really just make a point of highlighting individual players at the end of the round (possibly even appointing certain players with titles).

sender said:
Just get rid of individual points. In a team based game what's the point? This has been pointed out before, but having individual scores during the game is pointless, and you should really just make a point of highlighting individual players at the end of the round (possibly even appointing certain players with titles).
:lol:, that is so cheap... :)

1 pt for reparing inv, 1 pt for kill, 1pt for destroying anything enemy, deployable or not. 1 more point if it was a gen.

1 extra point for killing someone near your gen or flag, or inside your base. 1 extra point for killing enemy capper, 5 points for capping. 1 point for grabbing the flag or picking it up. (if you touch the flag, you get a point. I know this was napalmed in t2 discussions, but I liked it. It keeps the focus on the flag, which is what the game's all about)

Not too many points, just the important stuff. Flag, o, and base d, which is all the noobs need to do.

Void|deadjawa said:
What is wrong with that? Isnt that why we play the game? To cap the flag? It is *gasp* fun to try and whore for points.

The only reason point whores whore points is to have the highest score. If you want to do that and be moderately useful, then fine. If you want to sit and OOB snipe which is a waste of everybody's time and gets virtually nothing accomplished, this system will not be as rewarding for you, because there will be higher scores overall. You can still do it if that is your fancy, but you aren't going to come out 10-15 points ahead of everybody else because doing so many other things garners you points as well. For people who actually do stuff like offense and defense.

Back