Official Christianity Thread

I've been surrounded by theists and atheists. I see both sides. I also see they have more in common than they have differences. The differences are always the more dramatic and emotional (hence the most interesting to debate). However, if you step outside and look-in, they are both attempting to resolve the same metaphysical and existential questions and often the resulting study is driven by linguistics and methodology rather than whether the final outcome is true or false.

I realize it sounds like I'm just rambling a bunch of nonsense, but it's the only way to summarize the conflict between such abstract and axiomatic ideas; the base similarities outweigh the differential details.

So you are a spectator. Have you tried to experience both sides more fully, as in actively try and become a Christian for a few months just to see if there is anything spirtual there that you maybe missing?

So you are a spectator. Have you tried to experience both sides more fully, as in actively try and become a Christian for a few months just to see if there is anything spirtual there that you maybe missing?

Have you actively taken a science class just to see what YOU are missing?

Oooo - Who's angry now!?! *poke*poke*

Fact is, I'm not doing your google work for you. You know exactly what 'inconsistencies' I'm talking about (or you're not as well read as you pretend).
I think you're making that up, and you don't know of any inconsistencies that are relevant to the historicity of Jesus.

Some of them, maybe (much like the guys that wrote the wiki you linked but with colored shirts and no ties). Probably chaps your ass that these same '30yr schmucks' have your fucking number.

If your argument is 'Other historical figures probably existed so Jesus probably did' then you should just stop now.

It's my sons birthday today, so I'll go hang out with him, eat cake, and throw a football with him. I'll be back later and we'll see if we can narrow this down a bit. I'm arguing that Jesus was a myth. You're saying... what? Just that he may have lived? What about the rest of the myth? Are you backing into the corner and saying 'that whole walk on water thing may have been bullshit, but he was a real man dammit, a real man I tell you!'
Do you even know what "historicity" means? I've used the fucking word like 50 times in this thread. If that isn't an indicator of what I'm talking about, then perhaps you should be discussing something you're actually good at, like drinking pee.

If you're just asserting that he may have lived and not taking the 'magical messiah' stance then this argument is pointless (though you'd still lose simply due to your inability to prove jack shit).
Yeah, except a couple millennia of academia tend to agree with me, as do all credible ancient historians of our time. You're going to have a fairly difficult time convincing me that I "lost" this debate since I have been, from the very beginning, absolutely correct. :lol:

Yes, been there done that. Unfortunately, just like any organized group of people, there is always politics, drama, gossip, and power-struggle. I prefer to be a free-thinker. If I choose something, it's because I did it on my own.

By the way, here's a pro tip:

There is a difference between "historicity of Jesus" and "Jesus's historical existence." The latter of which subsumes a hypothesis regarding the events of Jesus's life, while the former merely declares that there is sufficient evidence to prove that the guy once existed.

Last edited:
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear.
-Thomas Jefferson

Yes, been there done that. Unfortunately, just like any organized group of people, there is always politics, drama, gossip, and power-struggle. I prefer to be a free-thinker. If I choose something, it's because I did it on my own.

I understand, many people are disillusioned about organized religion. Even organized Christianity for that matter.

When you realize that many Christians today follow some of the doctrinal practices that Jesus condemned the Pharisees for, you realize that until you find the right people to fellowship and pray with, you must look to the Word and pray to the Lord for guidance. Do not let the sinful nature of man get in the way of your relationship with God.

Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear.
-Thomas Jefferson

I love Jefferson. I wish all Christians would adhere to Jefferson's understanding of Christianity.

The most important thing in my opinion is to mimic the things Jesus did. A simple experiemnt you can try would be to forget everything in the Bible, except when it mentions the Lord and his actions.

The two greatest commandments Jesus stated: Love and God. Love thy neighbor as you would yourself.

Jesus constantly prayed to the God, he had a personal relationship with him. He communicated his desires, his fear even with God. And because of this God aided him.

Jesus helped the poor, the sick, those seeking divine guidance, everyone. We should all do this.

Jesus himself was baptized, therefore we should do so as well.

Jesus fellowshiped and spoke the Word of God with the righteous as well as the sinners. We should try this in practice as well.

When Jesus was persecuted for speaking the Word he did not attempt to overpower the other with emotions such as hate or disgust, he simple spoke the Word, using God to aid him and the dissent was quieted. Even the Pharisees, no longer spoke their temptations and sins when Jesus did this. In our discussions with believers and nonbelievers we must do the same.

-Thomas Jefferson

It is written that those who attempt to find God, will find him. Therefore I will agree with your quote.

I suppose this is a theological question, these particular verses always intrigued me, mainly because it covers two interesting issues: Mormons and prophecy.

"At that time if anyone says to you, 'Look, here is the Christ!' or, 'There he is!' do not believe it. 24For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and miracles to deceive even the elect—if that were possible. 25See, I have told you ahead of time.

26"So if anyone tells you, 'There he is, out in the desert,' do not go out; or, 'Here he is, in the inner rooms,' do not believe it. 27For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. 28Wherever there is a carcass, there the vultures will gather.

29"Immediately after the distress of those days
" 'the sun will be darkened,
and the moon will not give its light;
the stars will fall from the sky,
and the heavenly bodies will be shaken.'[c]

30"At that time the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and all the nations of the earth will mourn. They will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky, with power and great glory. 31And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.

32"Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. 33Even so, when you see all these things, you know that it[d]is near, right at the door. 34I tell you the truth, this generation[e] will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. 35Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away."

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=47&chapter=24&version=31

Does that mean the Mormons are wrong -- Jesus in America?

"36"No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son,[f] but only the Father. 37As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 38For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; 39and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 40Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left. 41Two women will be grinding with a hand mill; one will be taken and the other left.

42"Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. 43But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. 44So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him. "

Does that mean the book of Revelations and any sort of prophetic predictions of the end of days are pointless?

I tend to have a bit of disdain toward western Buddhists. It's really bad. They effectively exercise prayer and other rites of western religions, but they call it something else. Like the motions for "meditation" are exactly what you'd expect in your average Protestant American household whereby the young Buddhist folds his hands together and looks upward and "meditates." It's rubbish. It totally reeks of "Buddha loves me this I know, for the Sutra tells me so."

I'm not angry. Did you have something to contribute or did you just want a little taste of Dooby's cock?

I pointed out your sillyness.

If I understand you correctly (I didn't go back and read all your posts, so correct me if I'm wrong.), you don't believe that anyone existed prior to roughly 1900 (i.e. prior to the time that the oldest living person was born, whatever that date may be).

I suppose this is a theological question, these particular verses always intrigued me, mainly because it covers two interesting issues: Mormons and prophecy.

"At that time if anyone says to you, 'Look, here is the Christ!' or, 'There he is!' do not believe it. 24For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and miracles to deceive even the elect—if that were possible. 25See, I have told you ahead of time.

26"So if anyone tells you, 'There he is, out in the desert,' do not go out; or, 'Here he is, in the inner rooms,' do not believe it. 27For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. 28Wherever there is a carcass, there the vultures will gather.

29"Immediately after the distress of those days
" 'the sun will be darkened,
and the moon will not give its light;
the stars will fall from the sky,
and the heavenly bodies will be shaken.'[c]

30"At that time the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and all the nations of the earth will mourn. They will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky, with power and great glory. 31And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.

32"Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. 33Even so, when you see all these things, you know that it[d]is near, right at the door. 34I tell you the truth, this generation[e] will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. 35Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away."

Does that mean the Mormons are wrong -- Jesus in America?

"36"No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son,[f] but only the Father. 37As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 38For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; 39and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 40Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left. 41Two women will be grinding with a hand mill; one will be taken and the other left.

42"Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. 43But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. 44So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him. "

Does that mean the book of Revelations and any sort of prophetic predictions of the end of days are pointless?
Long answer:
None of that shit is real. Its all fake. That has been said a million times before anyone decided to write it in a bible. Sure change the names around but its still been said. For thousands of years.
Grow up.

Back