Best tools for life organization

Flash

Veteran XX
Trying to clean up my digital life. Do you have any favorite tools for keeping yourself organized?

Notes in iPhone and Contacts.

If my phone gets hacked (iCloud), then I'm fucked. Then again, I have alerts for everything (checking account, credit cards).

I have 50 notes in my phone for various things. The first line of the note becomes the title when looking through them. I have 3 notes for passwords. When one gets full I create another. Most of the time, if I sign up on a web site, I'll go into the note called Passwords, enter the name of the web site, the e-mail I used, the password, and the 3 challenge questions or pin. I've tried LastPass, but I still prefer the way I just described. Have a note called Food for grocery shopping. Before I go to the store, I type a list of items. As I'm shopping, I check them off. Have a note called "To Do" with a list of things I need to get done. As I get them done, I erase them from the note.

Contacts. Besides people I call, I have credit card companies with their phone number. Have all my car info, doctors, lawyers, CPAs. I enter their phone number, e-mail address, then use the notes field to enter additional info like passwords and challenge questions.

If my wallet is stolen, I could shut off all credit and bank cards quickly. If my phone is stolen, I can get to all that info from iCloud. My phone is my life, I always have it with me.

Last edited:
hex tool for fin removal swap
wax comb (rough up wax on board for better traction)
beer bottle opener
HTB1ggbeHXXXXXaMaXXXq6xXFXXXE.jpg

wat wat?

Last edited:
Reactions: clu
- An annual excel schedule of events on one page like insurance renewals, birthdays, celebrations etc on the fridge.
- A "School day" list of stuff the kids are supposed everyday to stuck on inside of pantry door.
- External HDD. Plan on getting 2nd one for rotation and storing in non flammable, water tight locked down and locked container in yard away from house.. In case house incinerated.
- Copies of all kids baby movies to inlaws, and my parents.
- Some stuff on cloud.
- PW's and accounts part way through the back of a random book.
- I keep an excel sheet of things I want to buy and track when I buy them. Like a shopping list of expensive stuff, with priority etc. Motivates me to go to work.

I live in a designated fire zone (bushfire/wildfire) so expected to have all this shit sorted.

- Cordless drill is my most used tool.
- My garage is super organised. I'll post photo one day.

I'm known for being a bit over organised. If everything is in it's place and in order I tend to feel more relaxed. So I spend half my life walking around tiding the house and cleaning and making things orderly. Been like that for 30+ years... people are used to it.. we joke about it.. and we all know it's not quite "right' to be that organised.. but that's how I am.

-Garage. Rows of plastic tubs in custom shelving. Write contents with sharpie on white cloth tape and stick on end of plastic tubs.
- Throw stuff out.
- Have an unhealthy appreciation for things being perpendicular and at 90 degrees.
- Thousands of dollars worth of adjustable shelving. The stuff is awesome.

- External HDD. Plan on getting 2nd one for rotation and storing in non flammable, water tight locked down and locked container in yard away from house.. In case house incinerated.
- Copies of all kids baby movies to inlaws, and my parents.
- Some stuff on cloud.
- PW's and accounts part way through the back of a random book.

I have 2 external Western Digital hard drives. Use Beyond Compare 4.0 to copy the storage drive on my computer to the external drive. One drive is at Ashley's place. Also have a clone drive in the computer case that is only connected when doing a back up.

Converted VHS tapes to digital, backed up on the hard drives.

With everything going digital, there will come a day when the kids lose the hard drives, or technology moves on and they become obsolete. The memories will be gone.

Regarding passwords, it's tough because each web site has different requirements for them, and the challenge questions are different. I try to make them similar. I probably have over 100 logins. Every time I log into a web site, I have to look up my user and PW. Pain in the arse but I have all the info.

I wrote up printed instructions for Ashley in case I die. It tells how to log into all my accounts and how to get everything (elder lawyer, CPA, Wills, Trusts).

Last edited:
Pen and/or pencil + paper = digital bliss.
It's funny you mention this because my dad had a word file with the name of the web site, login, and password. It filled two pages. He had many copies of it in different file folders. What he was missing was the challenge questions, made it practically impossible for me to log into some of the web sites and he didn't remember some of the answers.

Not a problem once you have power of attorney and take over all the accounts, but it does mean creating a new login and calling to have the account unlocked.

Back