Why I'm not playing T2

Torment said:
Did you play Quake 2 and 3? Did you notice the whole game change? No? Why? Beacuse ID isn't fucking stupid!

Oh my... heh heh. These "T2 sux" threads are pretty mild compared to the stuff posted when Q2 and Q3 came out. ;)

Anyone who is really into a game thinks that the sequel is really different, while casual players or folks on the outside think it's almost exactly the same.

In all honesty Dip I probably wouldn't. T1 was alot of fun for me but going back now just wouldn't feel right. It's time, at least for myself, to move on. I don't like the idea of being left behind so to speak. T1, albeit still fun, is old. At least with T2 you have new graphics, new toys and the potential to learn new stuff. I think T1 is all learned out if thats the proper way to put it.

Luckily with the last patch the game does seem a bit more fun. It still has alot of issues and I'm not 100% happy with it but it's better than before. CTF pubs for the most part suck horribly which is ashame. I used to love jumping into a T1 pub and just goto town. With the speed available I could change hats in game at any given second with zero planning. Need D? Done. Need a lil HO action? No sweat. Now it's a project.

So instead of lamenting on how T2 sucks I've given up for the most part. I don't play CTF in pubs much now unless it's on Darkside or 5150 where I know there is the possibility of decent competition. Matches and scrims are my main interest now. Team competition in T2 is pretty enjoyable actually at least. For pub action I've moved into Hunters, Team Hunters and Death Match. At least there the action is fast paced and enjoyable. My 2 cents. Peace out.

DipStick said:
Question:

What if TheRedDread was frontin the $2000 grand for the T1 ladder and not the T2 ladder...or maybe even both? Would you still be playing T2? I mean all things being equal...for example..$2000 for both T1 and T2 ladders...which would you choose to play? I see a lot of people saying they dont play T1 becaus the competition has gone...well...what if there was equal competition in each game...Which would you choose? Be honest with me and yourself.

What if TheRedDread was frontin the $2000 grand for the T1 ladder and not the T2 ladder...or maybe even both? Would you still be playing T2? I mean all things being equal...for example..$2000 for both T1 and T2 ladders...which would you choose to play? I see a lot of people saying they dont play T1 becaus the competition has gone...well...what if there was equal competition in each game...Which would you choose? Be honest with me and yourself

If I had a choice between T1 competition and T2 competition, I'd definately go with T2. I've already played about a half-dozen scrims, and my opinion is that T2 competition is a helluva lot more fun than T1 competition ever was.

That thrill I got when I was going mach 4, snatched the flag that had been dropped in the field, and capped... I get that from
1)Capping in T2
2)Driving the Shrike in T2
3)Driving the Wildcat in T2
4)Satchel Charges
5)Running down cappers in my Wildcat
6)Watching cappers get ate up by my turret setup
7)SIEGE

Why go back to T1 and get pissed off every time 10 heavies own our base for 20 minutes straight, when I can play Tribes2 and have a helluva good time playing Alcatraz, Icebound, Katabatic, Archapelago, Ultima Thule...

Polaris said:
Apparently Torment wasnt around when the nerfed the crap out of the rocket launcher between Q1 and Q2.

okay okay but there were plenty of gameplay similarities, right?
:eek:

ah well, fuck quake anywhow
=P

O.K. there are a lot of fucking words up there that I acknowledge I probably won't read but I just wanted to points a thing or two out.

IMHO:
Quagmire is a great map... T2 reduced my ping... This thread has a rather large number of page views.

As for teamwork, anyone who thinks I'm here to say I want to play without it is quite misled. However, I do enjoy Locke's comment:

"Tribes 1 you only had to screw 1 guy on your team (repairbitch and some MINOR turreting), now i get to have spambitch, turret clear bitches, a few vehicle clear bitches, driver bitch, a stand alone turret bitch, and a repair bitch. YEAH!"

Anyway... I think we can all say that we've played a pub and pulled something amazing off, stepped back and thought, "wow... that was INTENSE!" something seen even more in matches. I'm sure it exists in T2, but to a much lesser degree.

As for the heroism issue... I'm sure you all liked the fact that I put that on the top of the list. Every other FPS I can think of has the capability for someone to "kick ass and chew bubblegum," but T2 for me is "all outta gum."

I think we all need to load up T1 and just play it... rabbit, ctf, whatever... for an hour and see how much fun you have. I hope that with some new maps, new game modes, new rules (perhaps accepting the existance of cheats), it may be resurrected.

as for the q1 to q2 rocket launcher nerfage....they attempted to make q2 a game of many weapons instead of rl dominated....kind of how dynamix attempted to make a game not decided by 5 second caps. a percentage of the diehard t1 community obviously wasn't thrilled with the decision - like q1 fanatics before them - but such is the price of progress.

Well, I was ready to flame you Nat, but then I took a different approach to looking how you said things and think I came up with a better understanding of what you're trying to get across than I originally had.

T2 is a good game, no question about that. But there are different types of games, and different types of gameplay within those games. T2 was Dave's vision, he had the authority to do what he felt best to make a game that he thought would be good. I feel sorry for the Dev members that got laid off, but then again I hope you may find a better home where your input would be better appreciated and used.

I can only wonder what T2 would have been like had not only the original dev team members created the game, but had also created the game based on how they wanted it to be(as they had done in the original).

DaveG took us for a ride. He blinded us by gracing us with his presence and acting like a people's person, assuring us all would be good. All of that was a facade, Dave just wanted his game to be a sucess, and by winning over the core gamers of the original Tribes, it wouldn't take long for us to spread the word on how great this game would be.

It was a bitch slap to the face to see you make a game that you said "would be different" yet it would be a game based on "what the community wanted," and then see you release a game that was soley based on what you felt it should be.

I'm not saying this is a bad game, not at all. Tribes2 is a good game, but it misses KEY elements that made the original a success. People will say if you want the Tribes feel then go back and play tribes, to you I say this, had I wanted a totally different game, I would have bought Black&White or some other game, not tribes2.

People say that the "capping cowboy" was a bad thing. A capping cowboy could not just stroll in and grab the flag and walk away against a good defense. But in T2, you cannot make that last minute blind rush for their flag, blazing away with your grenades and discs while your "capping cowboy" comes in to snatch up the flag and quickly fades into the horizon just in time to prevent the other team from making the game winning cap. That made the game exhilerating, and it also meant that if two teams went head to head, anything could happen.

But with the changes, there are things in Tribes2 that are positive. The need for new innovation is renewed. At the end of playing Tribes, scrims/matches felt more like going thru motions than anything. Tribes had reached a point where there was nothing left to discover, nothing less to change the game to make it appealing, and exhilerating like it had been a few months back.

With Tribes2 I am challenged to use my brain to think of new ways to do the same things I did in Tribes. That still provides a rush for me, not as much so as tribes, but the adrenaline is still there. It took 3 months or so out of the gates before Tribes truly hit its stride. New things to learn, new techniques to try, and suddenly it was like the gameplay was changing on a daily basis. It kept you on your toes, it made you want to learn, and most importantly it made you want to play until the wee hours of the night.

Whether or not tribes2 has this, time will tell. T2 hasn't reached the 3 month mark yet, but I believe when competition starts to really heat up on the ladders that we will begin to see new things being discovered and used(or at least that's what I'm hoping for).

My only request is that GarageGames make Tribes3. They were the majority of the brains behind the original, and brought me to play this game for countless hours on end. I would like to see what they envisioned the next game in the tribes series to be like, to see how they would have done things had not a narrow minded man designed T2 the way he wanted it.

So Nat, whats next for you game wise? I'm either going PLanetside, WW2O, or maybe even Operation Flashpoint....only after t2 match play becomes stale of course :D

refried.jpg

Hey Poon :blowup:

I'll be there tomorrow. What you been up to, read your PM's damn it.

Quick on topic note... Cowboy capping on a Pub with no help from your teamates is the ultimate exhilerating non-ladder based bitch slap.

Thanks Liquid... kinda how I feel

As for "going through the motions" for T1 matches towards the end... I'm thinking up ways to change that. i.e. make flagfinder public, new maps, 1 mine per light 2 per med/heavy, removal of remote ammo st, make plasma eat through heavies like it used to, create a new game mode based on team rabbit, a new league, I dunno.

Also, I appriciate all the support I'm getting. Support that's reminding us that I am only speaking as an individual who is asked this question often. I know that T2 is fun to a lot of people, and I'm not trying to deny your enjoyment. I rather would like to step back, look at what made our online lives exhilirating in T1, and realize that for many of us the original will outlive the sequel.

-Some old dude who can't keep up with the uber strats in T2

Last edited:
Very well stated Liquid, I agree with you that once the competition heats up there will be changes in how things are done. I have already seen some ideas show up and some very impressive things happen in games already (ever been MA shocklanced??) Yeah its true that MAs are easier ect. But the big difference between Tribes 2 early days and Tribes 1 early days is when Tribes 1 came out it was completely different than other FPS games, other than the players that came from Outwars no one had used a jet pack before. Tribes 2 is enough like Tribes 1 that the veterans recognize how to ski and shoot arial targets so those two aspects are not as shiney and new. Turrets will become less and less of an challenge just like they did in Tribes 1. I know you all remember how it was a challenge to get by those things way back then.

Polaris said:
yup. but in Quake 1, the rocket launcher was king. It would be like turning the disc launcher into the plasma rifle.

ohhh I misread, I thought you meant from Q2 to Q3..
yeah, Q1 to Q2 had radical changes. It surprised me, since I was used to the doom->doom2 type progression.

Basically Dave G made it sound like he was making a game that WE wanted, based on what the T1 community asked for, but in the end, Dave G made a game that HE wanted. And the sad part is, he continues to make changes that HE wants, not the community(scoring change...). This is my problems with the whole thing. I like T2, but if Dave G would get off his high horse and LISTEN to what we want in this game, we would ALL be much better off.

T1, expecially towards the end, was equivalent to any modern professional sport. The gameplay was ALWAYS the same, but you were entertained by the PLAYERS. In T1, everyone strived to become the Jordan or Iverson. In T2, it's like Dynamix wants everyone to be a Harlem Globetroter. An all star, or a faceless peon who can spin a ball on his finger while running? A "cowboy" capper, or a player whose only job is to drop flares all game? Is there a difference?

In the end, it boils down to two differing opinion schools on what makes a game, particularly an online multiplayer one, fun. Strategy vs. skill will continue to divide us, until the perfect blend surfaces once again. *cough NOT T2 cough*

Im sorry but this seems like a great t1 player who may not be anywhere near as good in t2 and no longer will have so many people worshipping him and is not liking it.

Nothing against Natrual I do not even know him, and his points are all his opionions and are valid btw but what I think is what I think right or wrong.

Yo...I am going to say one last thing. I understand that lotsa people like T2. I mean...it can be fun at times...but to the extent of its predecessor...it pales in comparison. Im not saying that people in this thread that like the game...genuinely...have something wrong with their heads. Not at all. All Im saying is this:

When someone like Nat steps up and says...This is why IM not gonna play T2, then I think the man atleast deserves to be heard without being belittled for it. I mean this isnt Joe Crapper saying...Hey T2 isnt for me. This is a well respected person. After all he did for T1, it IS a shame he wont be playing T2 to help make the same innovations.

I myself have not returned the game, nor unistalled it. Because I am positive...sometime down the road...this game will develop. It will become more playable in ways I never dreamed possible. All I can say is that time is not now...Not for me. So, dont get me wrong when Im flaming certain people who are just hell bent on insisting this game is perfect. The majority of the people on this board constantly state that the game is not perfect. They say it is basically a work in progress...which I can understand.

I have my own views on the game...and can accurately state what those impressions are based on how much I have played. I am not going to say your views are wrong...because they are not...to YOU. So please, extend those of us who prefer T1 over T2 the same courteousy, and respect the reason we do not choose to play the game right now...if ever. I think thats it...

off topic: Bulb...now check your damn PM's :fart:

i agree with Dyanamo, T1 did become more sport than a video game in my eyes. I only hope with time T2 becomes the same.

Back