POLL - do u think opsayo ever goin 2 come back 2 play w us

is opayso ever goin 2 come back to tribe 1

• Total voters
The argument that tribes was a niche game and only appeals to certain people started with the t2 crowd anyway.

These are the people that worship t2's higher sales amounts without accounting for the fact that tribes had no drm at a point where cd burners were a fad. I can remember as a kid everyone I knew owned cs and had a burnt copy of tribes 1.

The idea that tribes only fits into a small niche of players is just made up bullshit to defend for the fact that all of the games since the original have been terrible and word of mouth as well as reviews killed them. Who wants to play a new game when all of your friends say its trash?

Tribes being a niche game is like saying sci fi or fantasy games are niche only. And yet we'll continue to see games in those genres being blockbusters while also incorporating tribes like elements to them.

The only thing making tribes a niche game is that the games have been shit since 1998 and at that point is it really a niche or just bad games?

Also the propagandizing and monopoly of commentary being done on this game by both the devs, and fan bois of the devs like opsayo and fixious (who regged the /r/fpsz subreddit to control that discussion and moderate dissenting opinions of it) is the exact same type of shit that yes men like hirez bart did when t:a was coming out, thrax and marweas with t:v, and qix and those other ppl did with t2.

I get that these people want their game and their friends to be successful and that's great. But at some point taking inventory of the past games so you don't repeat the same mistakes that ruined them has to happen. And that just isn't possible with a fanatical fan boy lead dev team that isn't willing to be self critical or acknowledge its community;s history.

I don't know much about the Z guys other than some of them were pretty good at legions, which I can respect. I just hope they aren't listening to the t2 players whispering sinful words into their ears. "T2c is a much deeper game than t1 on a strategical standpoint and as all of the assets that will keep the casual player satisfied." "Blah blah blah t2c omg blah."

But it's their game to make and they will do what they want. If I'm still interested in the game after I see game play footage, I'll give them my opinion if they want it. but everyone has an opinion and if they are going to listen to opinions at all, I hope they listen with an open mind. Just not too open and someone convinces them over powered vehicles are something that makes tribes fun.

I've read Mabel directly say that t1 was a flawed game and t2 classic was much better. Which truly is a shame as it doesn't appreciate the beauty and the luck that the Darkstar engine happened to have as well as being built on ignorance by a kid that never played the game in the first place.

Please make no mistake this game is being built for the t2/t:a demographic and not t1 players. All of its media is directed at the t2/t:a demographic. And most likely this game is a cash grab attempt similar to t:a to simultaneously make a little money while giving some indi game dev's exposure in hopes they get hired by corporate.

Last edited:
Please make no mistake this game is being built for the t2/t:a demographic and not t1 players. All of its media is directed at the t2/t:a demographic. And most likely this game is a cash grab attempt similar to t:a to simultaneously make a little money while giving some indi game dev's exposure in hopes they get hired by corporate.

Only thing I'll correct you on is the backgrounds and motivations on the team differ, but most folks played one form of Tribes or another and want to see a modern version that will last and not fizzle out because we don't treat it like a real thing (it needs to make money to have people work full time on it - the harsh reality of game dev). And if it's a "cash grab" then I guess I'm doing it wrong. ;) Sorry to hear you don't have high hopes for what we're doing. You may be interested in Project Freefall instead as it may align better with your ideals.

@opsayo - Thanks for the kind words dude! Great to meet you at PAX. We're working hard over here trying to make this a reality. :)

Last edited:
unlike most people on here i can remember you in political threads and other general discussion stuff on tw over the years

you played t2 and were always a t2 fan more than t1

nothing you said contradicts what i've said but the smarmy attempt at authoritative condescension is pretty humorous and typical of you in the past.

project freefall looks like trash. here's hoping your game isnt but between producing a shit game similar to a cross between ta and t2 (possibly a profitable shit game as there are many of those) or getting owned by corporate lawyers for ip infringement over said shit game you really are playing with fire.

which really is the crux of your game potentially failing. i doubt you've brokered some deal with hirez to use the ip they bought to legally be able to sell your game but if you managed to do a licensing deal good job (we both know that you didnt though).

the reality is that in your attempt to sell your unlicensed ripoff game, which is unlike the other community driven and publicly released games have done as they offered them for free, hirez will probably just legally nuke you. defense vs a high priced experienced $800/h corporate lawyer or a team of them in front of a copyright judge that has never played a video game in their life where the similarities of simply having jet packs, skiing, flags, and inventory stations will be enough to put you all on the hook for a lot of money or tie you up in court till you're all bankrupt due to legal fees is quite the risk. you are gambling with explosives.

and i gotta wonder if the other people working for you know about your tw past with classifieds scams forum drama and making these community driven tribes games that fail bugspray

mabel is pretty young do you really have to fuck this kid over potentially tying him into a court case over a video game for years

anyway like i said maybe you did gain a licensing agreement with hirez to make and sell a tribes clone or are prepared to fight in court over what defines a tribes game vs an "fpsz" game or some other semantic bullshit. if that's the case i'd be pleasantly surprised. but chances are you haven't so i'll be around waiting with my :popcorn:

Last edited:
and again just to reiterate if you havent licensed the tribes franchise or got a lawyer to check what is copyrighted how do you know "skiing + definition" is not copyrighted, or inventories, or a combination of those mechanics, etc, etc?

for all you know at that point one of those simple little gimmicks is copyrighted and has fucked you over before you even begin.

and even if that stuff isn't specifically copyrighted simply having a game that plays similar to tribes will be more than enough for a lawsuit and statutory damages.

Gamasutra - Myths and Facts in Avoiding Copyright Infringement

11 Times Video Games Led to Lawsuits | Mental Floss

if you're trying to market an unlicensed tribes like game and profit from it the munchkin vs pacman case and donkey kong vs universal cases in the second link seem awfully similar to what you'd be attempting to do.

i thought that was crow for a second then i realized crow may be a lot of things but he isn't completely legally retarded like a teenager

here ill summarize this for you because you're dumb damaster

even if they legally haven't breached copyright law (which id argue they will be but that doesnt matter here) the simple fact that hirez a multimillion dollar company can take them to court to argue that they have can destroy them with defensive legal costs while the judge comes to a decision.

so really the question here is. do they have permission or a license from hirez to sell their game?

i also know that if i had a 50-100 million dollar company like hirez

had scummy corporate executives and lawyers on hand

used easy pay to win sales tactics for profit as well as buying an IP of an established game with a large fan base

all to exploit that fan base using those scum sales tactics earning me even more money

if then some team of people without millions of dollars or corporate backing attempted to copy or make a similar game to the one that i paid big money to own the IP of without paying me a franchise or licensing fee

well id sue them into the ground for fun and bleed them out as revenge for attempting to take away my market demographic

some people would call this fair or justice.

Substantial similarity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

there's always the chance that hirez could attempt to buy them out as well or that a licensing/permission agreement takes place

but lawsuits and legal threats tend to be the norm for these types of things.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you don't have high hopes for what we're doing.

I have high hopes for what you are doing.

And for the people here claiming that nobody on their team was a Tribes 1 fan, I believe that Moneyshot from Run & Gun is on their art team. I competed with him on the OGL ladder lots of times and he's as legit a T1 player as they come.

d00d stop spergin out. and saying skiing + jetpacks r copyrighted is dumb.

Naw dude, he's right... everything like that is copyrighted... That's why we only have one video game in existence that has a "jump button," a "machine gun," "hand grenades," and "weapon loudouts." If you try to make a game with anything that has already been used before, you'll get sued and destroyed.

Spoiler

Actually wait...

Back