4.0.1 THoughts (Fuck someone else make a thread :s)

This is strange because this is the opposite of what I would have wrote.

DK Tanking is now super easy (it was easy before as well as blood with WoTN buff), and while the rune management is a bit different, it shouldn't be too difficult once people get used to the priority system.

Mage dps is ridiculous, only after moonkins and maybe swd-trigger-happy spriests. I saw Adroit's logs earlier with him doing some nice numbers, maybe he can give you better advice, as mage is not my main.

DK tanking isn't any harder, it's just learning to use the new commands that is frustrating (you have a whole flow you are used to and it's like someone switched the notes on your piano). That and like I mentioned before, I find myself RP capped constantly (but apparently they are fixing RS to be back to just on GCD and not proc-based as on test servers). I end up DCing mobs right now.

I miss SCT. Parrot is just not as helpful thus-far.

I have noticed something odd about Inscription. My scribe literally had every single glyph prior to 4.0.1, everything from all the research and even the books. Well come in now I learned a few new ones from books and an extra from research, which I expected. Thing is I can't learn anything more from the books and both my research yields no new glyphs and yet I'm still missing some, two specifics are Long Word for paladins and Mage Armor for mages.

And finally I can use my green proto @ 310%.

*edit*

Figures, some of them are marked for cata release and are unobtainable...

Last edited:
I actually enjoy this patch. Everyone is complaining about the game being hard again, threatening to quit/sell their account. It seems like every DK tank I've met obviously didn't play pre-bc. "Now i have to tell my group to wait for 2 blood boils and then attack"
Sound familiar? "Wait for 3 sunders!!"

Finally something new in the game and everyone's all upset. Fucking love it.

I am retarded(ly bad) with my mage though. I respecced fire to try it, I have about 5.2 gs, and I just suck. What should my rotation be? What should I be stacking? I'm at 2800 sp, 20% haste, 400 hit and 37% crit. Mastery is 8.0 I believe? 25% bonus to periodic dmg.

So far I am popping Living Bomb, then fireball until pyro procs, hit that, then hit combustion to try to max my double-dots but I'm still at around the 6k dps range. I was pulling 9-12k before as arcane :s

TEACH ME THE WAYS.

First of all you need to gem/reforge to 446 hit (if you're horde). Your haste is poop and so is your crit which is just a case of being undergeared.

Since your crit is low I would suggest keeping scorch up since it's less likely Pyroblast will be putting the critical mass debuff up with how low you are critting.

I had over 1200 haste and reforged 200 of it into crit so now I sit at 55.9% crit raidbuffed and I still feel like I'm not critting enough once debuffs etc. are on the target. Don't reforge mastery atm, it's not worth it till level 85 with the way it's scaling.

Make sure you are taking advantage of all the glyph opportunties for Mage right now...we can virtually use 6 Prime glyphs cause they screwed up on and can't fix it till a minor patch they stated.

If you're trying to pewpew hard obviously you should be pre-potting, using flame caps. Being an engineer and tailor helps as well, engineers can now use their enchants in addition to standard enchants.

Red gems: 20 int; Purple gems: Int + hit, yellow gems: int + crit.

Make sure to see the trainer for your Wizadry passive.

Edit: Another reason for your poop DPS is a lack of T10 and set bonuses of course. I wouldn't read too much into your numbers unless you are raiding on that toon and still sucking terribly. On the bright side you're pretty much using Combusiton right. If you want to be a tool you can always use Fireblast when it procs...all the mages were actually doing that last night on LK to kill ghouls since melee cleave sucks now and we benched most of them. lol phat numbers and lol @ going back to wiping on LK because people don't know how to adapt to changes.

Last edited:
First of all you need to gem/reforge to 446 hit (if you're horde). Your haste is poop and so is your crit which is just a case of being undergeared.

Since your crit is low I would suggest keeping scorch up since it's less likely Pyroblast will be putting the critical mass debuff up with how low you are critting.

I had over 1200 haste and reforged 200 of it into crit so now I sit at 55.9% crit raidbuffed and I still feel like I'm not critting enough once debuffs etc. are on the target. Don't reforge mastery atm, it's not worth it till level 85 with the way it's scaling.

Make sure you are taking advantage of all the glyph opportunties for Mage right now...we can virtually use 6 Prime glyphs cause they screwed up on and can't fix it till a minor patch they stated.

If you're trying to pewpew hard obviously you should be pre-potting, using flame caps. Being an engineer and tailor helps as well, engineers can now use their enchants in addition to standard enchants.

Red gems: 20 int; Purple gems: Int + hit, yellow gems: int + crit.

Make sure to see the trainer for your Wizadry passive.

He should spec arcane, I put out huge numbers single target with arcane, fire is still gear based ;o I don't think he's raiding really, so 440 hit isn't that big of a deal, only need really about 165 hit for heroics. I'm not worrying about hit at all on my mage right now, he'll never see a raid ;o

I was arcane before; I just wanted to try something new.

Apparently mages were secretly nerfed last night too. 10% dmg decrease across the board?

I know this morning during WG I was still raping people though.

Rotations?

As far as I'm concerned the game is in limbo at the moment. All the changes are based on the new items and level for Cata, so the bitching is kind of useless. DPS is going to go down and HP is going to go up from what I can see.

My mage is hilariously fun to play. Arcane spec has been reduced to 1 button for single target and 1 button for AE pulls. Anyone bitching about arcane has not read the spell changes. I pulled 30k DPS on OS3D last night. It doesn't seem that it will hold up in a long fight through because of the arcane specialization, but I haven't tried it in ICC yet, so who knows?

Fire is a LOT more fun, though I wish they'd make LB usable on more than three targets, and the fact that you can refresh it on targets now is lame.

Here's how I'm playing my Fire Mage for anyone who's interested.

AE: Fireball>LB>Blastwave (should proc impact)>Impact>Spam Flame Strike. Rinse Repeat. Throw a Dragons Breath in there after impact if you like.

Single target is pretty much the same as pre patch. But throw a blast wave into the mix as it's insta cast now. Fire spec specialization is increased damage from DoT ticks, so make sure LB and Ignite are ALWAYS in play. If you're on the move, make sure you're spamming Scorch and Fireblast.

Hope that at least gets ya started. It's going to take a bit longer to figure out how all the new talents interweave.

Last edited:
I actually enjoy this patch. Everyone is complaining about the game being hard again, threatening to quit/sell their account. It seems like every DK tank I've met obviously didn't play pre-bc. "Now i have to tell my group to wait for 2 blood boils and then attack"
Sound familiar? "Wait for 3 sunders!!"

Finally something new in the game and everyone's all upset. Fucking love it.

I (as the healer) had to tell dps in a group to wait for the tank go gain aggro and that it felt like MC all over again.

After playing as DPS I've realized that it just doesn't matter if they wait or not, they're going to pull off the tank.

The rotation for fire is as you stated. People are trying to work FFB into the rotation for the dot since we can use 6 glyphs but most theory isn't supporting it...FFB will be the standard at 85 though.

Arcane rotation from what I've gathered is:

AB+CD's till 40% mana: Mana gem +Evoc
Standard rotation & conservative till mana CD's come back up.
Repeat step 1.

Reforge excess crit to haste, int + haste gems where applicable.

I'm not convinced Arcane can beat Fire unless you're in blues. Frost might though...

Oh I just noticed you are in the same guild as Grondis. He used to be in our guild before transferring when we decided to quit till cata. Small world.

Seeing the warrior dps really makes me a sad panda. Maybe its a good thing I am not raiding atm.

Yeah I'm semi new still, joined in late August. We have a lot of warriors so I never know who is in raiding or not...typically not Grondis I think.

Actually I've been doing AB till it's at 4 stacks, then hitting CD's and Mana Gem. The improved mana gem gives you 1% of your maximum mana in spell power for 10 seconds.

Then as you say, down to 40, Evo, and keep spamming mixing in Barrage and Missles as you need to maintain a good mana pool. The trick is to not pull agro with those first 4 AB's before you can pop MI.

I agree FFB looks like it'll be the big nuke for Fire spec at 85. Still a lot up in the air though. All this shit could change next tuesday.

/shrug

Actually I've been doing AB till it's at 4 stacks, then hitting CD's and Mana Gem. The improved mana gem gives you 1% of your maximum mana in spell power for 10 seconds.

Then as you say, down to 40, Evo, and keep spamming mixing in Barrage and Missles as you need to maintain a good mana pool. The trick is to not pull agro with those first 4 AB's before you can pop MI.

I agree FFB looks like it'll be the big nuke for Fire spec at 85. Still a lot up in the air though. All this shit could change next tuesday.

/shrug

FFB being the primary nuke won't change for Cata. They said definitively they want it to be the primary filler spell.

Arcane is pretty boring atm, anyone wanting to play it over Fire is probably lazy/bad. The "competitive" numbers people keep talking about when comparing it to Fire are from people in mediocre guilds or casuals. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but anyone saying it's better than Fire is misleading people.

I've mainly been using arcane on tiny short fights. Anything that lasts more than 30 seconds, fire is the only way to go. Not sure what my plans are for ICC this week, but I'm definitely running fire in there.

Combat rogue dps is complete shit and the new revealing strike mechanic feels clunky. I'm probably going back to mutilate, but subtlety is also somewhat viable now. And yeah, casters are doing insane dps.

i like most of the changes. Here's my feedback(pvp) on the 3 classes i play.

Disc priest feels almost the exact same(in pvp). Losing Desperate prayer as an 80 kinda sucks but no big deal otherwise. B/C of the instant casting and pennances low probability to be interrupted discs feel really strong atm(obviously this is just at 80). Need to finish my shadow spec and try Death spams.

Affliction is incredibly fun to play with the new mechanics. Yes soulburning is OK but its the Soul Swap and the Soul Swap glyph that is so awesome. Run up, fully Dot a target, Soul Swap, turn Haunt then SSwap the next target and boom 2 fully dotted targets while you continue to go apeshit. Also being able ot now use curses ontop of Banes makes for even more fun, weakness or exus melee, tongues healers and then hope an instant SBolt procs or just Soulburn a Soulfire. Fun shit.

Resto shammies piss me off a bit more. I feel like they are just too susceptible to interrupts and the littlest amount of control. I'm hoping it improves at 80 but having to shield every non riptide heal with a grounding totem gets annoying as shit. Sure 1 healing surge can crit 50% of your targets health but you have to actually get one off.

Edit: boomkin are fucking retarded. Even more so than they were. Starfire might be the most absurd spell in the game.

Last edited:
Edit: boomkin are fucking retarded. Even more so than they were. Starfire might be the most absurd spell in the game.

I spec'd to boomkin to try it out. 5k dps in t8/t9 mix that I have from a year ago, with some reforged healing gear, and I'm unglyphed (since our mail is down right now)

edit: in 5 man VH I pulled 7k dps against the big dog boss, still unglyphed

Last edited:
FFB being the primary nuke won't change for Cata. They said definitively they want it to be the primary filler spell.

Arcane is pretty boring atm, anyone wanting to play it over Fire is probably lazy/bad. The "competitive" numbers people keep talking about when comparing it to Fire are from people in mediocre guilds or casuals. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but anyone saying it's better than Fire is misleading people.

It is for lower gear levels, I have a shit ton of haste, but hardly any crit on my mage. For what I have, Arcane >>>> Fire.

If my mage wasn't my #4 character in priority, he'd have better gear, and would be fire for fights > 30 sec :p

Back