[T3] Where is my ****in sword? by Locke355 - Page 2 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page [T3] Where is my ****in sword?
Page 2 of 2
Ben Reed
VeteranX
Old
21 - 04-08-2003, 21:52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beren
i am just not sure if the needed complexity to add such a weapon is balanced by the actual need for that kind of item. KISS is a great acronym and moto to live by.
I thought my idea was plenty simple...no fancy swinging mechanics, just a nice, high-risk/high-return hack-and-slash melee weapon with a cool factor that can give major cool points to those daring and skilled enough to master it.

Sure, the shocklance fills this void already, but unlike the shocklance, the sword is (1) my baby and (2) not gay.

Sponsored Links
Rabid Poop
Veteran++
Old
22 - 04-08-2003, 22:30
imagine jetpack battles where you clash and parry in mid air......

oh wait.....

THIS IS NOT ****ING ANIME

Locke355
Sexy Bitch
Contributor
Old
23 - 04-08-2003, 22:32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Poop
****.. so i can't fire 500 missles at once?

Ben Reed
VeteranX
Old
24 - 04-08-2003, 22:35
Quote:
imagine jetpack battles where you clash and parry in mid air......

oh wait.....

It's not meant to be anime-style, you failed abortion.

This is about the love of bladed weapons, pure and simple, and about me carving you to pieces in midair and spewing your blood like a fountain into the night sky as a warning to all who would oppose me.

You wanna tango with the Beast from the Southeast?

Ceiling_Fan
Forum Ranger++
Contributor
Old
25 - 04-08-2003, 22:38
A sword would be lame. This coming from ME, so you know it must be the truth.

Rabid Poop
Veteran++
Old
26 - 04-08-2003, 22:47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Reed
It's not meant to be anime-style, you failed abortion.

This is about the love of bladed weapons, pure and simple, and about me carving you to pieces in midair and spewing your blood like a fountain into the night sky as a warning to all who would oppose me.

You wanna tango with the Beast from the Southeast?
I have absolutely nothing to say to that, except that I am in awe.

Ben Reed
VeteranX
Old
27 - 04-08-2003, 22:48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceiling_Fan
A sword would be lame. This coming from ME, so you know it must be the truth.
Look, it's gonna be a lot easier on all of us if whoever the hell is developing T3 just shuts the hell up and puts the damn sword in the game, because I've got better things to do with my excessive free time than spend months coding my own damn mod just for one freakin' sword.

Don't try to crush MY video game dreams, grizzly bear, because I'm ready and willing to crush yours twice over.

Ben Reed
VeteranX
Old
28 - 04-08-2003, 22:49
Quote:
I have absolutely nothing to say to that, except that I am in awe.
You think you're in awe now, wait until I actually put it in...

Flatscan
VeteranXV
Old
29 - 04-09-2003, 03:13

Beren
Tribalwar Aussie
Contributor
Old
30 - 04-09-2003, 04:14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Reed
I thought my idea was plenty simple...no fancy swinging mechanics, just a nice, high-risk/high-return hack-and-slash melee weapon with a cool factor that can give major cool points to those daring and skilled enough to master it.

Sure, the shocklance fills this void already, but unlike the shocklance, the sword is (1) my baby and (2) not gay.
yes but how often are you without ammo? or more to the point, how often are you without ammo and come up against someone who doesn't have any ammo either? And that person is an enemy?

if a person has ammo they should be able to take out someone without ammo easily.. so it seems like an additive to the game that wouldn't get used that often.

Locke355
Sexy Bitch
Contributor
Old
31 - 04-09-2003, 04:59
I was trying to make a bad joke when I made this topic, but I think i failed.

I guess my consolation prize is that a sword would be better than the shocklance.

Ambush_Bug[DTM]
VeteranX
Old
32 - 04-09-2003, 17:25
[Universe Nazi]

Melee weapons go through Tribal shields, every time. Only high-speed kinetic//concussive weapons get deflected. Hence, you'll read about heavies weilding mercury-cored hand-and-a-half swords for close combat.

Or fluxtorches, if they've got some real balls.

[/Universe Nazi]

Ben Reed
VeteranX
Old
33 - 04-11-2003, 14:20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beren
yes but how often are you without ammo? or more to the point, how often are you without ammo and come up against someone who doesn't have any ammo either? And that person is an enemy?

if a person has ammo they should be able to take out someone without ammo easily.. so it seems like an additive to the game that wouldn't get used that often.
Enemy fire ain't that hard to dodge, unless it's chaingun or laser rifle fire, and no self-respecting Triber ever tries to charge an enemy head-on unless they're blocking the flag anyway...at least, hopefully they wouldn't with a melee weapon, where attacking with a blade from the sides or the rear would be much safer.

I figure the sword's short range and the fact that the opponent has a gun that can, used properly, kill you before you touch him, would be balanced by the sword's attack power...it takes two disc launcher shots to kill a light in T1 and T2, assuming that the sword wielder attacked with full health and only ate one disc, if he got into sword range and was accurate enough to nail the enemy with a swing, he could kill the enemy in one or two hits that come out faster than the disc launcher's reload.

I figure the swing speed would be pretty rapid too, even for a big-ass heavy sword, to help offset the super-short range.

It wouldn't have to be a last-ditch weapon, either, you could pull it out inside confined quarters like a base corridor and use it to conserve your long-range weapon ammo for the outdoors where it makes more difference. I just figured if nothing else it could be an emergency defensive weapon when you run out of ammo during a time period when Ctrl-K-ing would leave a big opening in your team's defense.

I don't really expect it would be used very much either, I would find it rather satisfying if it turned out to be a niche weapon like the ELF gun that was used by a few hardcore people to great advantage.

Ambush_Bug: As for the shield pack blocking the sword, I figured it would go against universe canon (admittedly I'm quite fond of it), but I thought maybe it would help balance the blade's attack power...come to think of it, maybe it would be better off going through shields, since guns already have the advantage of range (and in some cases, one-shot damage) anyway.

Anyway, once T3 comes out, somebody please make a mod using this sword idea, I think it's way too good to throw away (because it's mine) and my free time is already invested in too many other places to learn how to script and code and all that jazz.

Last edited by Ben Reed; 04-11-2003 at 15:14..
Page 2 of 2

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page [T3] Where is my ****in sword?

Social Website Bullshit