Marweas still hasnt told us about getting fired

Wow. Proof positive that Tribes devs/managers still lurk on this forum. What a day to have them all come out of the woodworks....marweas, tomin8r, rated z, squirrel...now all we need is some Georgeson love on this thread and our day will be complete.

God, I wish that dude would answer the ten highest-moderated questions on Slashdot about Tribes 2. Not that anyone cares anymore besides us. I think we'd be surprised with some of his answers. The dude is probably not the evil spectre we sometimes make him out to be.

You should have been there when Dave vented at E3 a few years ago. He seemed like he had been holding some stuff in for a while. He thought I was Thrax too. I can't remember who all was there. I know Colosus was (and most of the venting went his direction). Not a bad guy in general I guess.

Marweas, you're the man. Thanks for everything you did for Tribes. The community wouldn't be nearly what it is today were it not for you.

You said you were so happy with IG that you suggested them to work on swat.? what impressed you about them? certainly not tv?? Was garage games ever contacted about making a tribes game? You also mention that they did not plan on making money with TV, interesting since uvalan sold out in 24 hrs and was covered by international press. the fingerpointing is amazing, I'd like someone to stand up and say "I fucked everything up", or "this person fucked everything up, it was their bad decisions". Like the out of bounds grid? whateverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Heya Stilgar!

I have to say out of all of the games I have worked on Tribes has by far the most hard core fan base. Nobody gets too bent out of shape about The Adventures of Willy Beamish anymore.

You should have been there when Dave vented at E3 a few years ago. He seemed like he had been holding some stuff in for a while. He thought I was Thrax too. I can't remember who all was there. I know Colosus was (and most of the venting went his direction). Not a bad guy in general I guess.

I'd like to hear all about that. :hurry:

I still :heart: and Miss the Weasel.

Having you around daily was more then we here at TW could really expect.

Just for you

dv_mar.JPG

The computer game industry is a bit stagnant, but I think games are better than ever. There has not been much evolution in games, so those of us who play a lot get jaded and bored very quickly, but overall games have become mroe stable and more accessible, with more functionality than ever before.

It's true, games are big money, and that means to make a game you need not just people who know how to make games but also people who know how to make money. Hollywood had to learn this, and so does this industry. Once the technology for stabilizes a bit more, we may see a resurgence in independent, community, and garage games (pun intended).

Making money comes from consoles more so than ever these days. Go to a local EB store, there's like a little rack of computer games and walls and walls of console games.

Garage Games hasn't proven they don't suck yet either.

Hey Weas... Wasn't there a producer in charge of box art? Didn't the production staff have any say in that?

Also, was there anyone who sat in on the meeting where they decided to give away the game to EVERYONE for free for 3 months who said that was a bad idea? If not... why not? if so... why didnt they listen?

Wow. Proof positive that Tribes devs/managers still lurk on this forum. What a day to have them all come out of the woodworks....marweas, tomin8r, rated z, squirrel...now all we need is some Georgeson love on this thread and our day will be complete.

God, I wish that dude would answer the ten highest-moderated questions on Slashdot about Tribes 2. Not that anyone cares anymore besides us. I think we'd be surprised with some of his answers. The dude is probably not the evil spectre we sometimes make him out to be.

I found him on a forum. I will pm him a link to this thread, maybe he will be game, you never know

btw, garage games was contacted about making another tribes game (what i assume became tribes vengeance)...they turned it down because they wanted to focus on their engine, not a game. at least that is how i understood it. although, to me, it seemed like it would have been a good idea. it would have allowed them to to role back changes into TSE and maybe come across issues they were not aware of, etc. but oh well, too late now.

Last edited:
This is the thread where you can disclose all the dirty secrets you couldn't at the time. Now spill it all, no matter how small.

This is by far the best thread on Tribalwar for a long time.

It would be great to hear from Dave G, about it all... and to hear from Marweas and the other devs is very very cool. To actually get past the pr bull and all the stigmas and rumors!

Thank you for the revelations :sunny:

Well, hell, who knew that the day I come to visit there's going to be an interesting thread like this.

The box did suck. The brand manager who came in after Scr8pin (however he spelled it) designed it and he didn't know anything about Tribes. He was a cool guy, though, but everyone was working on so many things at the time it's no surprise the box design suffered. A great box wouldn't have made the game successful though.

Everyone did the best they could under the circumstances. Making great games is hard, and sometimes everyone tries really hard, gives it everything they can, and it still doesn't come together. Anyone who's worked at a company where you're not your own boss knows what that's like.

Working on Tribes was one of the best experiences in my career. Being able to delve as deeply as I did and work with folks like Thrax and Marweas, who absolutly loved the property and would have died for it was really rewarding. IG was also totally devoted to the game and tried to make it work.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Oh, and you can change my title. I haven't been at Sierra for a long time now.

Last edited:

please elaborate.

The would take too long and I'm not really interested in reliving the past.

The reality is that Vivendi/Sierra went through a bunch of massive executive switches during that time and none of them cared about Tribes. The game was just too inconsequential for them to bother. The forcast, even at the start, was miniscule compared to powerhouses like World of Warcraft, and executive attention is parsed in order of revenue projection.

That Marweas and Thrax even managed to get T:V greenlit is the miracle that should be discussed most. Those guys did an absolutely superb job of making a compelling case and lining up great talent to get the game done.

It would have been really easy to abandon Tribes and it certainly was the most politically expedient option, but these guys stood up for it and owned it. They literally put their careers on the line, and though by the time it came down to it nobody really cared and it's not like it was a make or break thing, standing up for an underdog like Tribes was a ballsy maneuver and those guys should be applauded for it.

Back