Old
161 - 10-10-2020, 02:09
good job roofing hillbilly engineering

Sponsored Links
ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
162 - 10-10-2020, 06:54
I'm exhausted just looking at that, I mowed the lawns and did the edges today - that was enough

TW_Dagger
VeteranXV
Old
163 - 10-11-2020, 18:29
Is there any reason to not do metal roofs and a layer of space foam for insulation? Maybe I'm a pansey but that seems like a lot of work for little payoffs.

StapleMammal1
Veteran++
Contributor
Old
164 - 10-11-2020, 18:33
maybe?

Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
165 - 10-11-2020, 18:43
Quote:
Originally Posted by TW_Dagger View Post
Is there any reason to not do metal roofs and a layer of space foam for insulation? Maybe I'm a pansey but that seems like a lot of work for little payoffs.
Metal roofing has come a long way. Especially for residential neighborhoods. So has insulating material. The biggest downside is that they cost a pretty penny to do right. On the upside, they are strong and last for many years. Timber frame applications have great examples of insulation for open living spaces.

JuggerNaught
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
166 - 10-11-2020, 19:26
metal roofs will likely outlast the house

Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
167 - 10-11-2020, 22:03
Yeah, they're about three times the cost.

Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
168 - 10-11-2020, 23:20
Went to the lake yesterday because it's an amazing out now, got back into it this afternoon.

This ****ing stack.

tape

more tape

almost flashed in

flashed in

progress

Slapped another row of paper down, and continued up with the plan of flopping the other paper over the new shingles. I've got 4 vent holes I need to address before getting to the peak, and didn't have time for it today before the rains tonight.

The original vent holes

Too dark for pictures when I was finished with tarps and moving shingle bundles around to hold paper and tarps down. Should be a quick cold front tonight with most of the rain hitting Tehvul. Maybe 1/4 of an inch here.

Last edited by Plasmatic; 10-11-2020 at 23:32..
Mitchdubai
Pooptruck++
Old
169 - 10-11-2020, 23:25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmatic View Post
Yeah, they're about three times the cost.
Yeah why pay 3 times as much for something that will last 5 times as long.

Hillbilly math is easy.

Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
170 - 10-11-2020, 23:41
Lifetime warranty on this roofing system. What now poopsmith?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub0wV0TvY8Q

Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
171 - 10-12-2020, 01:24
Alright, "poopsmith" got me
Doesn't take much.

Mitchdubai
Pooptruck++
Old
172 - 10-12-2020, 01:32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasstax View Post
Doesn't take much.
Indeed. It's a very low bar. Plasmatic couldn't get much lower if he parachuted out of a snakes ass.

lemon
Sour++
Contributor
Old
173 - 10-12-2020, 01:34
flex dubai

StapleMammal1
Veteran++
Contributor
Old
174 - 10-12-2020, 12:52
silicone that ****

samUwell
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
175 - 10-12-2020, 15:59
Quote:
Originally Posted by StapleMammal1 View Post
silicone that ****

No need.

That looks like an 2" Oatey PJ flashing. The neoprene collar is designed to fit tightly against the plumbing pipe. Prime it and paint it to protect against the sun. As long as the neoprene is covered with paint, it should last for a long ass time. In 20 years or so, you can install a new neoprene collar directly over it.

Ill post some pictures in a little bit of them.

*edit - wait, is that a copper pipe? That looks like copper. If it is copper, the neoprene might not be fitting tightly. Was there any resistance when you slid the thing down? It needs to be tight. It looks like you didn't pull the tab off to fit the 2" which probably just saved you from having to use to flashband or caulking.

Last edited by samUwell; 10-12-2020 at 16:03..
StapleMammal1
Veteran++
Contributor
Old
176 - 10-12-2020, 16:34
Quote:
Originally Posted by samUwell View Post

*edit - wait, is that a copper pipe? That looks like copper. If it is copper, the neoprene might not be fitting tightly. Was there any resistance when you slid the thing down? It needs to be tight.

silicone that ****

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8tVj6qQyHM

samUwell
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
177 - 10-12-2020, 16:44
Ok, now that I am done with what I was doing...

The flashing you are using looks like it has size tabs on the inside of the ring. This allows you to buy 1 flashing and use it for the 3 most common size pipe jacks we find: 1", 1.5" and a 2". It looks like you did not pull the tab for a 2" jack which was perfect.

The neoprene is designed to fit tightly against the pipe but you problem is the outside diameter of a copper pipe is less than that of a PVC pipe. Enough that if you did pull the tab, it wouldn't fit and nothing would work but to replace the jack.

Standard Oatey jack but an older model. This jack doesn't have the size tabs on it.

It's important to make sure that the neoprene is covered with exterior paint. The best exterior paint that I have my guys use is an elastomeric based paint. **** is thick and does wonders on neglected stucco walls, or important flashings like the top of the chimney chase cap/pan. If, however, you do not paint the neoprene collar on the flashing, the sun will eat it up in about 10 years or so. Might be different where you live where you kinda get the sun.

This is what it will look like when the sun is able to get to it. Yes, this 1 is painted but painters will paint over anything - dry rot included - which they did here.

In the image above, someone slid down a different but thicker collar over this Oatey jack. This, however, wont do **** for the rest of the neoprene collar like we saw, as the collar was toast down to the flashing so, you need an oversized 1.

This oversized collar was installed on the jack I showed 2 pictures up. This unpainted collar will fit over the entire preinstalled collar on the Oatey. Notice that the tabs were not pulled on this one, so it is fitting tightly against the pipe. These are what you will want should anything happen to your pipe jack flashings.

Awe... nice and neat. No leaky for you.

StapleMammal1
Veteran++
Contributor
Old
178 - 10-12-2020, 16:47
stick your dick in the pipe.

Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
179 - 10-12-2020, 16:47
It's a 3 inch copper pipe that was painted. I did my best to clean it up and make it smooth. The Oatey collar is for 3 and 4 inch.

samUwell
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
180 - 10-12-2020, 16:53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmatic View Post
It's a 3 inch copper pipe that was painted. I did my best to clean it up and make it smooth. The Oatey collar is for 3 and 4 inch.
A 3" pipe? WTF is that thing hooked up to?

Page 9 of 19

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Roof technology

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
real man