[ITT] We spend the next few hours recovering my laptop. by Obibun - Page 8 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [ITT] We spend the next few hours recovering my laptop.
Page 8 of 11
groove
VeteranXX
Old
141 - 09-19-2011, 19:47
the partition u made in linux might be weird, you could try removing any partitions in windows setup, re-create one and try to install again

Sponsored Links
Obibun
VeteranXV
Old
142 - 09-19-2011, 19:51
Yeah I just did, same problem?

It was 450gb or whatever of unallocated space, so I made a new partition in Windows set-up and then formatted it.. same problem though about not being able to determine if it has a valid volume or whatever.

Any more ideas? Yours have been the most promising thus far. heh.

Bughead
VeteranXX
Old
143 - 09-19-2011, 19:52
Oh, that happens all the time.

Go back to the first screen where it lets you click "Install Windows" or whatever. Bottom left there should be "Repair Windows". Click that, and then select "Command Prompt".

From there type "diskpart", then "sel disk 0" (or 1 or 2, however many drives you have) then type "clean".

You'll have to restart, but it will work.

It doesn't delete anything when it "cleans" so don't worry. It's kind of like "cleaning" your registry. Just fixes stuff.

EDIT: Oh wait I misread (although the above doesn't hurt). A lot of computers you have to set to IDE or whatever (AHCI won't work on some laptops/hard drives). I dunno if you've tried that yet, gonna read back some lol.

Last edited by Bughead; 09-19-2011 at 19:55..
Obibun
VeteranXV
Old
144 - 09-19-2011, 19:55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bughead View Post
Oh, that happens all the time.

Go back to the first screen where it lets you click "Install Windows" or whatever. Bottom left there should be "Repair Windows". Click that, and then select "Command Prompt".

From there type "diskpart", then "sel disk 0" (or 1 or 2, however many drives you have) then type "clean".

You'll have to restart, but it will work.

It doesn't delete anything when it "cleans" so don't worry. It's kind of like "cleaning" your registry. Just fixes stuff.
Neg, there's no option for repairing or any of that at all. Just goes straight into install. Likely because there's no Windows on this machine to speak of?

Obibun
VeteranXV
Old
145 - 09-19-2011, 19:57
I only have ATA, RAID and AHCI.

I just changed the AHCI setting from Legacy to Native.

Bughead
VeteranXX
Old
146 - 09-19-2011, 19:59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obibun View Post
I only have ATA, RAID and AHCI.

I just changed the AHCI setting from Legacy to Native.
ATA and IDE are the same (for your intents and purposes).

No repair? It should look like this (even if you're just booting off the disk):

"Repair your computer"

Obibun
VeteranXV
Old
147 - 09-19-2011, 20:01
Yeah the Legacy - Native thing didn't do anything

hurgh

Obibun
VeteranXV
Old
148 - 09-19-2011, 20:02
nah it looks like an older Vista install without the whole menu thing, just straight into language --> license --> select drive

I'll try ATA next

Obibun
VeteranXV
Old
149 - 09-19-2011, 20:09
fffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

ATA gives me the same error message

this is what my install looks like btw:

Bughead
VeteranXX
Old
150 - 09-19-2011, 20:13
Quote:
fffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

ATA gives me the same error message

this is what my install looks like btw:

What happens if you click the X on that screen? Will it take you back to the screen I posted a pic of?

Obibun
VeteranXV
Old
151 - 09-19-2011, 20:14
Nope, asks me if I want to cancel, and blah blah, and then restarts the computer

Even if I had the other version of Vista I don't know how it would work, there's literally nothing on these hard drives to repair, I have formatted them super clean and about 10 times with ten different settings

My next idea is to try and run some sort of disk-fix utility, but I would have to do it in Ubuntu, and I have no idea how to install programs on Ubuntu or even what programs there are for it. Although it seems silly that their super powerful built-in ones couldn't somehow do the job.

Obibun
VeteranXV
Old
152 - 09-19-2011, 20:22
So it doesn't even see this newly created partition in Ubuntu or whatever.

As far as Windows is concerned there's a 450gb HDD with a new partition on it, one which it can't determine a valid volume for, as far as Ubuntu is concerned, there's, uh, exactly what I had before?

ffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu this is needlessly complicated

where are TW's super computer experts who can just look at like four pixels of a person's screen and instantly determine exactly what's wrong with their entire system from top to bottom hardware to software and also their home address and social security number?

Data
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
153 - 09-19-2011, 20:23
Dude, honestly... without knowing and seeing exactly what you did to the drives in Linux, we're all basically taking shots in the dark here. I don't mean to chastise you, but you've created a situation where we can't help you because we're not sitting in front of the machine and no one including you knows what the hell you did to it.

jonb
VeteranXX
Old
154 - 09-19-2011, 20:24
You could try your manufacturer's utility for the HDD's below

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonb View Post
DiscWizard | Seagate

Data
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
155 - 09-19-2011, 20:25
How old is this Alienware? When did you buy it?

Obibun
VeteranXV
Old
156 - 09-19-2011, 20:26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data View Post
Dude, honestly... without knowing and seeing exactly what you did to the drives in Linux, we're all basically taking shots in the dark here. I don't mean to chastise you, but you've created a situation where we can't help you because we're not sitting in front of the machine and no one including you knows what the hell you did to it.

Iunno dude, I just formatted the drives in Ubuntu and made NTFS partitions on them, or somehow tried. Most of the time it just gave me "Sorry can't do that" error messages. Then I loaded up the Vista install and noticed everything went to ****.

I don't understand how formatting them a few times could've made such a big ****ery that nobody here is capable of guessing what's gone wrong with them? Especially with pictures of everything.

Obibun
VeteranXV
Old
157 - 09-19-2011, 20:27
Quote:
How old is this Alienware? When did you buy it?
Got it like 2 years and ~3 weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonb View Post
You could try your manufacturer's utility for the HDD's below
Yeah but I have no idea how I would run that program, unless I could somehow do it in Ubuntu? It only lists being available for windows and mac and not being able to put windows on this machine is the problem in the first place.

Data
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
158 - 09-19-2011, 20:28
Quote:
Iunno dude, I just formatted the drives in Ubuntu and made NTFS partitions on them, or somehow tried. Most of the time it just gave me "Sorry can't do that" error messages. Then I loaded up the Vista install and noticed everything went to ****.

I don't understand how formatting them a few times could've made such a big ****ery that nobody here is capable of guessing what's gone wrong with them? Especially with pictures of everything.
Ubuntu formats them differently than the Windows installer, even though they both say "NTFS". That's oversimplifying it, but you get the idea.

It doesn't help that you don't appear to have any authentic Windows CDs or recovery discs. There are some tools on the Vista install disc that could probably get you out of this mess, but you're trying to install it from a USB thumb drive(????).

Data
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
159 - 09-19-2011, 20:30
Quote:
Got it like 2 years and ~3 weeks ago.
The device should have a 7-digit alphanumeric Service Tag on a sticker in a conspicuous place. Find it and PM me the number.

Obibun
VeteranXV
Old
160 - 09-19-2011, 20:32
Quote:
The device should have a 7-digit alphanumeric Service Tag on a sticker in a conspicuous place. Find it and PM me the number.
Negative. That was the first thing I looked for like 8 hours ago.

no tag so to speak of. so it's either been inadvertently scratched off or was the other blackened half of a small tag I found on it that was completely unreadable.

Page 8 of 11

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [ITT] We spend the next few hours recovering my laptop.

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
adam mitter pc in the shitter , ¯\_(ツ)_/¯