Death Punch Studios filling positions.

a 3d game engine in c#... thats hilarious. may as well write an operating system in c# too :lol:

anyway an indie game effort shouldnt have a project manager, everyone should be the developer AND designer AND manager... you're treating this like some startup company, which it isnt... though its obvious youre trying to convince yourself that it is and that your some sort of entreprenuer

Every project should have a project manager, it doesnt matter than its an Indie game or not, its simple team organization that applies to every team in life.

You dont tell a kids little league football team that they dont need a coach because they are not in the NFL.

There is nothing wrong with C# being used for a game engine, it has alot of benefits over C++ or C but it also has some drawbacks. Each coding language has its own traits. And dont give me no bullshit trying to tell me C++ is faster than C#, no its not.

Assembly is faster than C++, but how many game do you see written in Assembly?

please, stfu, you know nothing.

A lot. You do know you can use inline asm with C++, right?

yes, but you never see anyone do that.

I can compile to Mono too, Native code. Just as good as C++ if you are crying about C# not being native.

I will do benchmarks of Mono vs C# one day, see if i notice any improvement.

rather than wasting my time explaining why you're wrong ill say this:

if you were right, serious game engines would be developed in C#... theyre not, nor ever will. end of story.

however some games do use C# as a scripting language, which is perfectly fine, and encouraged.

Last edited:
anyway an indie game effort shouldnt have a project manager, everyone should be the developer AND designer AND manager... you're treating this like some startup company, which it isnt... though its obvious youre trying to convince yourself that it is and that your some sort of entreprenuer
Eh, I think it's dependent on the team and the project whether or not you need a PM. I will agree though, for the beginning of indie projects, getting work done comes first to managing. As the team gets bigger, it's important to shift your focus more toward management. I've seen communication issues break down teams just as fast as performance issues.

Lee, I wish you luck, friend, but do know that volunteer projects are not as simple as for-pay projects. It's hard enough to predict how projects are going to develop in the workplace, much less when no one is getting paid and it's in their free time. Free time comes and goes, and so will your help. The trick is to keep your team members engaged - however you do this is up to you. I recommend making sure you have a constant flow of things getting done (which is why you need to get down in the dirt now and then when progress is slow) and sufficient socialization of progress to your team. Even then, there's no guarantees.

Good luck, and even if you fail this time, if it's something you want to do then learn from it and try again.

Eh, I think it's dependent on the team and the project whether or not you need a PM. I will agree though, for the beginning of indie projects, getting work done comes first to managing. As the team gets bigger, it's important to shift your focus more toward management. I've seen communication issues break down teams just as fast as performance issues.

Lee, I wish you luck, friend, but do know that volunteer projects are not as simple as for-pay projects. It's hard enough to predict how projects are going to develop in the workplace, much less when no one is getting paid and it's in their free time. Free time comes and goes, and so will your help. The trick is to hyperventalate and flood the bloodstream with oxygen then be as efficient as possible.
fixed

Lee, I wish you luck, friend, but do know that volunteer projects are not as simple as for-pay projects. It's hard enough to predict how projects are going to develop in the workplace, much less when no one is getting paid and it's in their free time. Free time comes and goes, and so will your help. The trick is to keep your team members engaged - however you do this is up to you. I recommend making sure you have a constant flow of things getting done (which is why you need to get down in the dirt now and then when progress is slow) and sufficient socialization of progress to your team. Even then, there's no guarantees.

Good luck, and even if you fail this time, if it's something you want to do then learn from it and try again.

that would be a real startup... this is wannabe tribes project #50123. if this were maybe some "im making a xyz.com" thread i wouldnt say much because web development is preschool shortbus compared to game development.

an example of what i would look for in a serious project:
- investors
- list of planned inhouse or licensed 3rd party tech such as the engine (one not written in a bullshit language), physics engine, tools, etc
- a unique idea! (or an obvious improvement on an existing one)
- a business plan

this is obviously a fuck around just for the fun of it project that will fail... the only good that can come of it will be those involved learning something new

Last edited:
tru story, I was in the same clan as the guy who made the first-release mine.dts(probaly 2002 or 2003) which turned the mine models into red exclamation points with white aoe borders

renegades was full of cheaters, it's true

before HM was gooooood times, though

obfuscation was the map that made HM incredibly apparent... nofog :(

i also remember early HMers claiming that they were using software mode to see cloaked Alien armor players

i was part of the early first-resistance of HM in renegades.. i led HM hunting parties until i realized that it was just too prevalent among the teams... shortly thereafter the ladder disappeared and tribes became what it is today

Last edited:
i do not know more about game development than nofix or happy

that said, i get the feeling that lee doesn't recognize the distinction between heavily scripting and modifying an existing game or writing a new game/engine from scratch

Just dickin around with some ideas. Not a lot of time spent

HUDS.png

yes.. didnt spend a lot of time centering

I also have no idea what kind of look he wants. I was just bored and tinkering

Back