Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [Religion] Today I went to church
Page 1 of 2
TooSmoothe
VeteranXX
Old
1 - 03-06-2011, 22:54
My future brother and sister in law asked me to go to church today. Being the polite boy I am I agreed.

During the priests sermon time he talked about how the Christians needed to be educated in their history so that when Athiests brought up The Crusades or The Inquisition they'd be able to knowledgeably debate these topics and show the Athiests they've been indoctrinated into misunderstanding the facts.

What exactly is this guy talking about? Sure people are entitled to their own opinion but I've never heard other claims to what the Inquisition and the Crusades represented. It is my understanding that in that era the only people that kept records were mainly people associated with the church (monks etc.)

My conclusions:
This is the first time I've gone to church in longer than I can remember and I'll be happy if I never go back. To Fngr, Orbital, Tantrum Rex and all the other outspoken churchies, do you ever challenge what you're being taught?

Sponsored Links
godsdog
VeteranX
Old
2 - 03-06-2011, 22:56
wow another religion thread on tribalwar..... nice one

Detox.enD
VeteranXV
Old
3 - 03-06-2011, 22:58
i participated in a baptism.

couldn't help but think it sounded and looked an awful lot like a cult....

Whistler
VeteranX
Old
4 - 03-06-2011, 23:00
i'm still good for a couple days a year when family's in town

when i get married i guess i'll go as often as i need to--really doesn't bother me that bad

Vanster
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
5 - 03-06-2011, 23:06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detox.enD View Post
i participated in a baptism.

couldn't help but think it sounded and looked an awful lot like a cult....
I was raised mormon, and as a teenager was baptized for over 200 dead people, one at a time. Beat that.

jonb
VeteranXX
Old
6 - 03-06-2011, 23:08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanster View Post
I was raised mormon, and as a teenager was baptized for over 200 dead people, one at a time. Beat that.
Wait, what? Did they give you meal breaks?

Boomerman
VeteranXX
Old
7 - 03-06-2011, 23:09
The church is corrupt.

Faith is a personal relationship.

Bane Grievver
VeteranXV
Old
8 - 03-06-2011, 23:12
That reminds me of Reverend Lovejoy on that Cult Simpson's episode, "This so called new religion is nothing but a pack of weird rituals and chants designed to take away the money of fools. Now, let us say the Lord's prayer 40 times, but first let's pass the collection plate."

Vanster
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
9 - 03-06-2011, 23:13
No, you stand there in the temple baptismal fount, and there is this overhead projector thingy that has the list of the dead in it. The guy doing the baptising reads the prayer "I do baptize thee [name of dead guy], by proxy, in the name of the father, son, and holy ghost." and then baptizes the proxy (me). The guy at the overhead moves the next name down, the guy doing the baptizing reads the prayer again with the next name, and down I go again. Rinse, repeat a couple of hundred times.

TooSmoothe
VeteranXX
Old
10 - 03-06-2011, 23:17
This was actually an honest question. I balked at asking brother and sister in law because they really really love religion and I didn't want to be rude to them.

Also it was a Catholic sermon and we seriously stood up and sat down no less than 8 times. What is the difference? Is there some kind of unspoken rule that certain prayers have to be said standing up? These are all the kinds of questions I've wondered, I could give a rats ass about the question of life and god and all that other junk, I just wanna know why some prayers are with palms facing up etc.

This wasn't meant as a troll, I guess the aimed question at Fngr, Tantric and Orbie probably don't help but how are you supposed to learn if you don't ask???

Edit: Awesome Tag

JodoFett
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
11 - 03-06-2011, 23:21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSmoothe View Post
This was actually an honest question. I balked at asking brother and sister in law because they really really love religion and I didn't want to be rude to them.

Also it was a Catholic sermon and we seriously stood up and sat down no less than 8 times. What is the difference? Is there some kind of unspoken rule that certain prayers have to be said standing up? These are all the kinds of questions I've wondered, I could give a rats ass about the question of life and god and all that other junk, I just wanna know why some prayers are with palms facing up etc.

This wasn't meant as a troll, I guess the aimed question at Fngr, Tantric and Orbie probably don't help but how are you supposed to learn if you don't ask???

It's all part of the ritual is probably the best answer.

If the Priest at my church seriously discussed how to argue against Atheist like that I think I would lose a lot of respect for him. Your faith is yours, you don't need to argue with anyone about it.

SeVeReD
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
12 - 03-06-2011, 23:29
ya it was all just fun and games
I'm sure there was mutual consent and a "safe" signal for the priest to stop

Last edited by SeVeReD; 03-06-2011 at 23:36..
Shoddy
VeteranX
Old
13 - 03-06-2011, 23:34
The sermons at the church I go to now are almost always about helping other people. So not much to challenge there. But to your question, I think most confirmation classes involve some questioning, and I think most bible studies do as well.

mandarb
The Real Spiderman++
Old
14 - 03-06-2011, 23:40
I had sex against a graveyard monument once. Does that answer your question?

I-C-E
VeteranX
Old
15 - 03-07-2011, 00:13
Quote:
ask???
I'm not an expert, but I had a religious upbringing and this is what I remember from education:

It's all about custom and tradition. You sit during certain(most) parts because it is the "learning posture." You sit during scripture readings(except the gospel) and sermon because you are supposed to be learning. You stand during the prayer parts because it was customary to stand and pray and to show reverence. It's also symbolic of the resurrection of Christ. As for kneeling, in Psalms it says to kneel down before "our maker." It's also an expression of humility, especially during communion and prayer (which is stated in other parts of the bible).

Palms facing up praying is symbolic of acceptance, willingness, surrender, etc.

Cliffs:
Stand and kneel for prayer, reverence, and humility.

Last edited by I-C-E; 03-07-2011 at 00:16..
bam
VeteranXV
Old
16 - 03-07-2011, 00:15
I had to go to two churches this weekend for funerals. One was for an atheist and his family refused to acknowledge his atheism and still did a christian funeral. What a load of ****. The other was for a dude that blew his brains out because his wife told him she was leaving him.

Musashi
SGT Shred++
Contributor
Old
17 - 03-07-2011, 00:37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanster View Post
So as a mormon indian, is your temple garment a loincloth?

Musashi
SGT Shred++
Contributor
Old
18 - 03-07-2011, 00:38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam View Post
I had to go to two churches this weekend for funerals. One was for an atheist and his family refused to acknowledge his atheism and still did a christian funeral. What a load of ****. The other was for a dude that blew his brains out because his wife told him she was leaving him.
I hope he took his wife with him.

JodoFett
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
19 - 03-07-2011, 00:39
Man, that chick is going to be ****ed up for life. Suppose that's what he would have wanted though so win/win.

elFyourSeLf
VeteranX
Old
20 - 03-07-2011, 00:45
Quote:

it's pretty simple. you kneel during the most important ****, stand during the kind of important ****, and sit during the less important ****. this isn't rocket science.

Page 1 of 2

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [Religion] Today I went to church

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
yarr matey i banged katie