Why are there 100,000 people playing Counterstrike _right now_

in a single player mission w/ a good plot you are not gonna be able to teach ppl to play online, if it is eventually played anything like T1, or even T2. most of the concepts when playing are easy enough to grasp. take LD, stop ppl grabbing by killing/BB'ing them, kill once they take the flag, and return at the right time so that either the enemy cant grab or your team can cap. anyone can understand thats what needs to be done, but it simplly takes practice to be able to do it.
i suppose it would help them by at least knowing what they should be doing, but still its only practice imho that will help them improve.

demos will help, possibly more than missions, if they a) show cool things, and b) show what players should do to play well/be an asset to their team. i know ive learned a heap from watching demos of good players.

another problem might be that like T1 the game may not be played the same way as it was intened when it was brought out. then all the training missions would just have been a waste of time as it will teach new players how to do things, but not what is done in the new stlye of play. this where demos may help again, they can be updated to show the level of skill of some of the best players, and could be uploaded to a location that is linked within the game, so that they are able to see what the level of skill is like at the time when they are trying to learn. to help them see what can be done, and how it is done, and more importantly how they cant start to do it themselves.

just an idea.

The learning problems I am specificly refering to is things like:
Jetting - Energy management
Accuracy - Learning how long it takes for the weapon to reach the target
Shooting while jetting
stealth
skiiing

Most knowlege related stuff that the average newbie does not know. It is one thing when a new player joins and knows how to ski and shoot the weapon he his holding. It is another when a player doesnt even know how to ski, or shoot when not on the ground. These are the gaps that would be filled by extensive single player missions (my post bottom of page II)

Also they would help build the fanbase for tribes and fix its major problem of not having any real good single player support.

A ton of single player missions with an active storyline will bring people to the game, and even make the multiplayer more fun.

although thrax has said its a new game etc, i still hope that the most played mod will be CTF, now how are you gonna have a single player game w/ story makeing a realistic version of that?

make maps to teach people to ski, make them to give weapon practice, jetting practice, include projectiles to be shot down from the sky, but for the love of god dont go and spend a shitload of time thinking up some story to just to fit it all together.

just make it "basic training" or something with a tribes universe type name "newblood skillz aquisition center" or give us a reminder of someone who nearly killed the franchise "learn skillz on an epic scale" but f*ck the storyline and give us good gameplay.

CS does have alot of things going for it. It's cheap/free, it runs on older systems, and the gameplay, in my opinion, is the perfect balance between realism and fun. There are plenty of games with better gameplay than CS, but they don't please the average person. Games like Urban Terror are made for the hardcore gamer that wants super realistic gameplay. CS has the realism (real guns, real scenerios), but you can also do silly shit like bunny hopping and stabbing people with knives and circle strafing. Although bunny hopping and the like have been toned down recently, it's still not the most realistic game out there. You don't have to stop walking because you get tired, and you don't have to do shit like healing yourself or anything like that. It's also not impossible to hit someone while moving.

There are 10,000 people playing CS at any given time because alot of those 10,000 aren't hardcore gamers. These kids are the ones who don't consider themselves gamers. For example, I know a kid who plays CS, but not competitivley because he's not interested in it at all. For him, its just like playing GoldenEye on an EPIC scale of 6 or 9 man teams.

Sir Lucius said:
Realism as in movie realism I think. Lot's of blood, cool effects, high quality graphics.

Yeah, I remember I downloaded some movie linked from here that mentioned realism in video games, and it was very very funny, I still have it on my comp too :)

title was "Quake in real life" or something like that...

I think every major reason CS was such a success has already been listed, and I to think it was the success of half-life, which led to counter-strike.

I couldn't give reasons as to how the next tribes game would be good and appealing that you haven't already thought of and considered..

I just can't wait till the 26th.

Da_Timsta said:
i still dont understand why a lot of people think that "realism" makes games fun...

Simple: They have no imagination and find it easier to identify with a human shooting an M16 than a derm with a disc launcher :E

Wils said:
Simple: They have no imagination and find it easier to identify with a human shooting an M16 than a derm with a disc launcher :E

Yeah, sometimes its a bit more engaging to think of yourself as a super elite marine defending the nation and stomping out evil than a flying furball with horns that shoots round blue things. Just to give you an idea of the mind of one of those "realism" gamers, even though I think Tribes kicks ass. Try Ghost Recon, you might like it..

CS is practice for Terrorism. Nobody has mentioned this.

And don't you think there will be a HL2 and then CS2?
The idea that other games will eventually take over CS won't happen, because CS2 will come out with low computer requirements, new cheating counter measures, and updated game play.

Unless some other company makes something that simulates the Iraq Freedom campaign. I see spinoff clones trying to move in, but the counter strike name is what counts.

Last edited:
I still say it was the excellent single player game that created a community that was waiting for something fun to arrive. And when CS was created everyone jumped on it and stayed. Before CS, HL multiplayer was the pits.

[-mIze-] said:
Yeah, sometimes its a bit more engaging to think of yourself as a super elite marine defending the nation and stomping out evil than a flying furball with horns that shoots round blue things. Just to give you an idea of the mind of one of those "realism" gamers, even though I think Tribes kicks ass. Try Ghost Recon, you might like it..

Tried it... didn't. :)

I wasn't being entirely serious about the marine vs derm thing - there are a lot of tribes players who hate the derms (the producer of TNTG for one :/), so that's not a lack of imagination thing by any means.

Thrax Panda said:
I think its important that when we get to the beta that we have the tools needed to make tribes movies available so the the community can start doing their thing. I can't buy the rights to the next Linkin Park song (for less than $50K) to put it into a video, but the community doesn't seem to have an issue with "borrowing" their favorite music, and that kind of press/marketing is fantastic if we can get links out to other sites.

Thrax, don't forget staff@tribalwar.com for any song requests the dev team has.

As to getting it up on other sites, that's easy enough, we always whore any of our stuff (that is good) to the news sites.

This guy said it pretty well: http://www.promode.org/columns/arQon/

The true appeal of "realistic" shooters (especially in MP) really IS that people who SUCK at games can still play them.

Can't aim? Doesn't matter: weapons are random anyway.
Can't walk and shoot at the same time? Doesn't matter: weapons are even more random if you're moving anyway.
Strafejumping too complex for you to master? Doesn't matter: you're not allowed to do it anyway.

We "the real gamers" make jokes along those lines about CS and its clones all the time, but the reality is that these AREN'T jokes: they're the cold hard truth. Companies are trying their hardest to remove every single skill aspect from their games, because it's all about making sure even your blind palsied granny can finish the game AND compete online on near-equal footing with everyone else.

Tribes games already have pretty good balance with the learning curve, i just hope T3 wont be any easier to learn or master.

Last edited:
I played CS back during the early betas. Mostly I just remember that it had really good word of mouth, and I never really saw anything that seemed like a true alternative. There just didn't seem to me to be any other game or mod out there offering that style of gameplay.

SiG said:
why do u guys keep saying its "free".... its not free.

Maybe because Half-life sold about 3 billion copies so every big PC gamer had a copy of it already and CS was a "free" mod for that game that you can download.

Back